The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-13-2020, 02:05 PM   #1
skip99

Elect fan controls

Installing elect. Fan, sbc, should i get an adjustable controller, or is a 185/200 switch good enough?, im also installing dakota gauges, so which port would you use for each? One on intake and one on head....

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=428878
skip99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 02:23 PM   #2
mr48chev

Re: Elect fan controls

I'm not going to be a lot of help on the hookup on this. As far as set temps for kicking in and out VS adjustable temps That may be more where your personal comfort zone operates as far as looking at the temperature gauge. For me as long as the engine still runs in the same temp range as it did in the donor it left the factory in life is wonderful. A lot of guys are paranoid about temp when they put a late model engine in an old truck. That 350 that ran for 20 years in that 79 Impala with a 195 thermostat now drives the guy with the old truck nuts if it hits 200 with a 180 thermostat after the engine swap. The engine ran for 30 years and 80K at 210/215 as it's normal operating temp but now 200 is hot?

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 04:34 PM   #3
dsraven

one little item I like to run is a manual switch just in case. that way you can turn the fan on whenever you like or keep it running after the engine is shut off so things don't heat soak due to no flow. I have worked on a few cars that have an electric coolant circulating pump that will run after the engine is shut off if the engine temp is above a certain range. not a bad idea but, like mr48 says, the engine ran in that old impala for years......
some off road stuff I have built in years past I would include a low oil pressure switch and a hi temp switch that ran to big lights on the dash in clear view of the driver. that way the drivers were alerted to an issue even if they didn't keep an eye on the gauge set. it's what you do if your kids drive your stuff but not a bad idea for off road stuff in general. if you blow a belt in a mud hole it can be game over before you know it.
you would need to know the temp the engine thermostat is set for in order to get the right fan switch temp. if the stat doesn't open till 195 and the fan comes on at 185 then you will be running the fan for nothing because the engine isn't circulating coolant through the rad. I would also check the stat manually to see if it is opening when it is advertised because lots don't. that is the reason I will only run EOM stats, too many aftermarket stats have given me issues. the intake sensor location, near the stat, will give a more general temp and the one in the head will give a more pointed reading as it senses the coolant in the combustion chamber area so it may give a higher reading than the other one. it is the one generally used for the temp gauge though, maybe a safety thing so drivers would tend to take it easy if they think the head temp is rising under loads etc.
if running a/c your fan should be connected to that system as well so it runs when the a/c is on. some cars with a/c and electric fans will have 2 fans that don't necessarily run at the same time and may run at different speeds controlled by the computer.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 12:26 PM   #4
28TudorAZ

I have the 180/200 switch and live in AZ. It worked just fine in the middle of the summer.

Project "LS Scout" https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=844133
28TudorAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 10:59 PM   #5
mick53

I have Dakota HDX gauges. I also have their fan control module. I will run 2 fans with speed and temp cutouts. It will also run the fan(s) up to 6 minutes after shutting down. I'm running 2 radiators, The one in the front of the truck on a mechanical water pump with electric fan and the other radiator is a Ron Davis drag radiator designed to mount horizontally under the truck with an electric fan and electric water pump. The secondary radiator will run after the truck shuts down for heat sink or if needed in traffic or in the parade they will throw for me. I will set the secondary fan at a higher temp. Also both have manual override. Dakota gauges are one of the things I think I did right. Also running their GPS speedo. It will be nice with my quick change rear end.
mick53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 04:25 PM   #6
skip99

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick53 View Post
I have Dakota HDX gauges. I also have their fan control module. I will run 2 fans with speed and temp cutouts. It will also run the fan(s) up to 6 minutes after shutting down. I'm running 2 radiators, The one in the front of the truck on a mechanical water pump with electric fan and the other radiator is a Ron Davis drag radiator designed to mount horizontally under the truck with an electric fan and electric water pump. The secondary radiator will run after the truck shuts down for heat sink or if needed in traffic or in the parade they will throw for me. I will set the secondary fan at a higher temp. Also both have manual override. Dakota gauges are one of the things I think I did right. Also running their GPS speedo. It will be nice with my quick change rear end.
Wh

Old 11-16-2020, 04:26 PM   #7
skip99

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick53 View Post
Whats the fan module? I dontsee it on theirsite, i havethe hdx on order

Old 11-16-2020, 05:51 PM   #8
Kevin Mac

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/d...SABEgIFzPD_BwE

I believe this is the one I have, it works good.
Kevin Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 07:07 PM   #9
mick53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Mac View Post

That's the one I have I think. I'm out of state right now but I'll look when I get home.
mick53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 08:53 PM   #10
skip99

Quote:

Did you need two sensors or was the one with the gauges able to provide temp readout and fan control?

Old 11-17-2020, 09:45 AM   #11
Kevin Mac

The controller comes with it's own sensor, I put mine in the intake by the stat housing. I already had a sensor for my gauges which are stock rebuilt gauges in the head drivers side.
Old 11-17-2020, 11:01 AM   #12
skip99

Quote:
The controller comes with it's own sensor, I put mine in the intake by the stat housing. I already had a sensor for my gauges which are stock rebuilt gauges in the head drivers side.
So, you used a dakota fan controller as a stand alone? Without using the computer inputs? I guess you really wouldnt need them

Old 11-17-2020, 12:50 PM   #13
Kevin Mac

Yes, my fan was wired to run all the time when I bought the truck, I wanted to turn off and on with a controller, I set up the fan to run after motor shuts off, but it will only do so if fan is already running when you shut motor off.
Old 11-17-2020, 02:00 PM   #14
jwhotrod

first of all. i would not wire fans so they can run after ignition shutoff. that's a good way to leave yourself stranded somewhere with a dead battery. a little temp creep after shutoff does not hurt anything. Secondly, upper and lower shutoff points is related to thermostat opening and the natural running temp for your engine, and whether or not you are fuel injected. the later engines and efi like to run hotter than what we are used to, look at your late model it runs naturally at 210 or so and is very happy. so your question is a little more complicated than first glance.
jwhotrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 02:16 PM   #15
Kevin Mac

Includes the following features:

* Compatible with single fan, dual fan, or single two-speed fan applications
* User-settable on and off temperatures
* Key-off run time adjustable from 0 to 5 minutes
* Works with many stock temperature gauge/senders
* OBD-II compatible (with purchase of BIM-01-2)
* Bluetooth enabled for use with mobile programming/setup app
* LED readout for simple programming
* Can be directly connected to a Dakota Digital plastic-control box instrument system when used in conjunction with BIM-compatible Dakota Digital instrumentation or a BIM-01-2
--Temperature and vehicle speed data transferred with one connection
--Connection allows adjustable highway-speed fan shut off

The controller can be set from 0-5 minutes run time after you turn off motor. It doesn't run until temp is low enough to satisfy lower set point, it is timed. Mine is set to around 40 sec.
mac
Old 11-18-2020, 02:06 PM   #16
skip99

Quote:
Includes the following features:

* Compatible with single fan, dual fan, or single two-speed fan applications
* User-settable on and off temperatures
* Key-off run time adjustable from 0 to 5 minutes
* Works with many stock temperature gauge/senders
* OBD-II compatible (with purchase of BIM-01-2)
* Bluetooth enabled for use with mobile programming/setup app
* LED readout for simple programming
* Can be directly connected to a Dakota Digital plastic-control box instrument system when used in conjunction with BIM-compatible Dakota Digital instrumentation or a BIM-01-2
--Temperature and vehicle speed data transferred with one connection
--Connection allows adjustable highway-speed fan shut off

The controller can be set from 0-5 minutes run time after you turn off motor. It doesn't run until temp is low enough to satisfy lower set point, it is timed. Mine is set to around 40 sec.
mac
Found it, and ordered one yesterday, the fact that it uses the one single sensor for both the gauges and fan control is nice, and that on/off temps are adjustable is great, i have a 180 thermostat so planned on setting fan at 200 on,185 off, but i know stock sensors can be off up to 20%, so i jope the dakota sensor is more accurate, but does not matter much, ill vefify with my infra red, and adjust accordingly, ......thanks for the input!

Old 11-18-2020, 09:45 PM   #17
Black_Sheep

The highway speed fan shut off is a nice feature. My set up is a lot more primitive. The thermal switch threads into a bung located on the radiator tank next to the inlet. The fan relay is mounted nearby on the front of the core support. I used a Spal pusher fan so the wiring harness is pretty short and well hidden.
Attached Images

Black_Sheep is offline   Reply With Quote