The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-15-2013, 02:21 AM   #1
Tow Me
Glen

Weatherstrip and window channel kits

Where's a good place to get a full kit for my 70 Suburban?
Posted via Mobile Device
  • 1983 Chevrolet C10 - Ginger
    Photos

Past Trucks
Tow Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 01:50 AM   #2
magicoolbus

Re: Weatherstrip and window channel kits

I am accumulating all of the rubber pieces to completely replace all in my burb. Here's what I have learned: Most single vendor will not have all of the pieces. I got the rear barn door window glass and hinge seals from Steele's. I actually got all of the roll up window and door gasket seals from LMC. Still need to source the windshield gasket, rear sides and 1/4 window gaskets. I will probably get them from brothers or steele's as they are the only source for them I have found. The rear side window gaskets are very spendy! I hear that precision rubber www.prp.com are very good replacement pieces.
1962 VW Beetle
1957 Willys CJ5
magicoolbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 12:19 PM   #3
BB72CHEVKT

interested as well
Old 07-16-2013, 01:16 PM   #4
Tow Me
Glen

I'm also noticing its hard to find everything from one place too JB. I just noticed LMC has exterior rubber for the 3rd door and a whole page for the rear door components and rubber.

http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/cb/full.aspx?Page=18

I'm assuming the 4 pieces shown in the window seal kit (11) covers both driver and passenger. $75 isn't cheap. Anyone else carry good quality seals for better prices?
    Photos

Past Trucks
Old 07-16-2013, 01:42 PM   #5
magicoolbus

Steele's rear side window gasket are $217, at brothers $180. The little rear door hinge grommets are 40 bux in most places. I think brothers was the only place i could find the 1/4 window seals. Nobody repops the rear sill plate, bit i have found several vendors for the third door sill plate.
JB
Posted via Mobile Device
1962 VW Beetle
1957 Willys CJ5
magicoolbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 08:14 PM   #6
CG
BlahBlahBlah

How bout supporting our board vendors? ... I got all the stuff for my panel from Wes at Classic Heartbeat and Frank of PICKMUPS. Both board members and they have a lot of burb and panel stuff.

There are other board vendors too that you can source ... http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showgroups.php ... scroll down to gold vendors and below them are the platinum vendors.

These guys pay most of the bill to keep this place running!

Monroe Swap meet May 18-19.
Mike has the same spots for the NW guys he's had forever.
Lunch time BBQ at the spaces.
If you have stuff to sell bring it along.

If you have a question PM stllookn (Mike) here via the board.

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=851291
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 01:07 PM   #7
Tow Me
Glen

Hey CG, I'd gladly look to some supporting vendors. That link has a lot of people listed and sifting through each one is not real efficient. Besides the ads that pop up on top, are there an others way to find out about the vendors businesses?
    Photos

Past Trucks
Old 07-17-2013, 03:11 PM   #8
GMCPaul

You'll find all the suburban seals on our web site here
http://www.gmcpauls.com/Suburban_-_Panel.htm
and
here
http://www.gmcpauls.com/suburban_-_panel_2.htm
Paul @ GMCPauls
GMCPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 03:33 PM   #9
BB72CHEVKT

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMCPaul View Post
and
here
Paul @ GMCPauls
Is this the push on type or glue on?
Old 07-17-2013, 03:43 PM   #10
GMCPaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB72CHEVKT View Post
Is this the push on type or glue on?
The door seals are glue on version, we only offer the push on style for the trucks as I do not like the way the push on version bunch up at the 90 degree bends found on the suburban door openings. On a side note I've taken a set that I used for my own suburban to a rubber company that used to be in Indianapolis and had them cut up 3 of the push on door opening seals based on the measurements of the door opening frames they gave them 45 degree angles at the cuts and then they Vulcanized ( I believe that's the way what they said would be spelled ) back together so they were 1piece again and installed them on 1 suburban I had. Cost was around $80.00 for them to do all 3 pieces.
So if you really want glue less that is a option to see if you have someone local that can do it.
Paul @ GMCPauls
Old 07-18-2013, 01:24 AM   #11
Tow Me
Glen

Quote:
and
here
Paul @ GMCPauls
Thanks Paul, I like your page with all the rubber just for Suburbans. Once I figure out what I need, I'll start making my wish list.
Posted via Mobile Device
    Photos

Past Trucks
Old 07-19-2013, 05:19 PM   #12
Franks 72

Any hints on how to remove the stainless "keeper" from an existing windshield (custom Suburban)or am I better to not re-use the old rubber . the glass needs replacement. The side windows will be removed for painting (I hate masking lines on rubber). Same thing here , am I better to just cut the old ones to remove the glass or should I try and salvage them?
Thanks for your help.
Franks 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 05:47 PM   #13
GMCPaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franks 72 View Post
Any hints on how to remove the stainless "keeper" from an existing windshield (custom Suburban)or am I better to not re-use the old rubber . the glass needs replacement. The side windows will be removed for painting (I hate masking lines on rubber). Same thing here , am I better to just cut the old ones to remove the glass or should I try and salvage them?
Thanks for your help.
I always cut the rubber myself to help making the glass & trim removal as easy as possible and its far easier to break the glass trying to remove it by prying the rubber lip over the pinch weld while applying pressure to get it out. Then once out by prying the rubber weatherstrip is normally damaged from the pinch weld somewhere with a scar or cut in it. The seal if factory original should also have weatherstrip adhesive behind it on the outside that may still be glued to the windshield opening. Make sure your glass installer also uses weatherstrip adhesive behind the outside lip of the weatherstrip after its installed it was done this way at the factory and its recommended in the service manual and if they don't then don't be surprised if you get a minor leak at high speeds or in driving rain and a drip when sitting. Plenty get away without using it but why be the 1 of the 3-4 in 10 that do need it and it helps keep out additional moisture on something we've just poured our sweat, love & money in.
That's just my take on it, seen posts where guys have done it all no problem too.
Paul @ GMCPauls
Paul @ GMCPauls
Old 07-23-2013, 01:48 PM   #14
Hart_Rod

Quote:
The door seals are glue on version, we only offer the push on style for the trucks as I do not like the way the push on version bunch up at the 90 degree bends found on the suburban door openings. On a side note I've taken a set that I used for my own suburban to a rubber company that used to be in Indianapolis and had them cut up 3 of the push on door opening seals based on the measurements of the door opening frames they gave them 45 degree angles at the cuts and then they Vulcanized ( I believe that's the way what they said would be spelled ) back together so they were 1piece again and installed them on 1 suburban I had. Cost was around $80.00 for them to do all 3 pieces.
So if you really want glue less that is a option to see if you have someone local that can do it.
Paul @ GMCPauls
Paul - bought a set of the push on for my Burb a while back but still haven't installed them. Can I still get this done? Do you have pictures? Also, I need the rubber pieces that go around the rear quarter glasses in the rear doors, do you sell them? Thanks,

Rob
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 02:31 PM   #15
GMCPaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hart_Rod View Post
Paul - bought a set of the push on for my Burb a while back but still haven't installed them. Can I still get this done? Do you have pictures? Also, I need the rubber pieces that go around the rear quarter glasses in the rear doors, do you sell them? Thanks,

Rob
You'll need to check with a local rubber company as Speedway Rubber & Extruding where I had mine done closed about a year or so ago, so I'm also needing a new company to do any more for me. In regards to the rear cargo door glass gaskets you'll find them on our Suburban weatherstrip page
Part # 132068 $74.00 for the pair.
Paul @ GMCPauls
Old 07-24-2013, 03:04 PM   #16
Hart_Rod

Quote:
You'll need to check with a local rubber company as Speedway Rubber & Extruding where I had mine done closed about a year or so ago, so I'm also needing a new company to do any more for me. In regards to the rear cargo door glass gaskets you'll find them on our Suburban weatherstrip page
Part # 132068 $74.00 for the pair.
Paul @ GMCPauls
Do you have pictures and measurements of what you had them do? I meant the rubber gasket around the quarter glasses in the 3rd door and dummy door (Pic).

R/
Attached Images

Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 03:22 PM   #17
GMCPaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hart_Rod View Post
Do you have pictures and measurements of what you had them do? I meant the rubber gasket around the quarter glasses in the 3rd door and dummy door (Pic).

R/
I don't currently have measurements or pictures. I gave them the measurement from the 3rd door opening at the top + I gave them a set of our reproduction glue on door seals and had them use them as patterns for the 90 degree angles to be done on them. I only had them do the 90 degree angles though as the push on conforms to the 45 degree angle on the front doors fine so I didn't feel they needed to cut them.
The seals your asking about GM referred to as the fixed vent seals which is what I also named them on our web site. They are on the same Suburban weatherstrip page
Suburban Rear Fixed Vent Window Seals, sold in pairs part # 1287374 $34.95 for the pair.
Paul @ GMCPauls