The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Forums > Alternate Tinkerings

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-10-2010, 02:53 AM   #1
caminokid
Chevy nut

I got a new car!

Ok through a couple bad events with the truck I fixed it and put it up for sale. Here is the thread I started about the truck. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=418742 The old lady side swiping the house the next morning after buying it....then one week later the flywheel broke out the center of it. I fixed that yesterday. Very sore after laying on the ground under it for 3 hours. I believe what i got for the truck today makes up for the pain and suffering.

Here is what I got.....84 944 Porsche! Could not believe it. The calls me this morning....says would you be willing to do a trade. Back of my mind said....oh great here a offer of some damn Camaro that some kid has beat the hell out of it. Then he said Porsche...could have swore he said Dodge. Brain couldnt process what he said for a minute there. So I asked him what he said again. He said it again. So then my thoughts were...ok is it a POS? He said I got pics...I will send them to you. I looked at them then called him right back within seconds. He said new paint. New exhaust. 5 speed. (what is a sports car worth without one?) Interior needs work. New tires. he gets here with it and the pics do this car no justice. Drives the truck says here the keys and the title to the Porsche and go get the title to the truck. Ok you have waited long enough...here is the pics!

"Remember kids there is NO replacement for displacement!"

Last edited by caminokid; 09-10-2010 at 02:58 AM.
caminokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 07:58 AM   #2
1badgmc

Re: I got a new car!

The interior is rough for sure. You can run into some big repair bills if you're not careful too.

I have lots of good memories with 944s with my best friend. When he was 15, with his own money he earned, he bought his first 944. It was a black '84. He bought his second when he was 17. It was a red '87 Turbo. For a while he had both cars in the driveway until the '84 sold. How many high school kids can say they own 2 Porsches? Through the years he had a lot of work done to the '87 and that thing was FAST! He eventually sold it and moved on to other cars, but he came back to these cars a couple years ago when he bought a gorgeous '92 968 convertible. I'm sure he'll keep this one for a while.
1badgmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 08:01 AM   #3
dragginmetal
here, just not logged in

Looks good.....Hide the keys from the ol lady...JK
dragginmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 08:40 AM   #4
jb1016
"Oh well, it's a driver."

Yeah, find a good hiding spot for the keys!

Looks good on the outside; I love the black Fuchs wheels (no really, that's what they're called) with the black paint on the hood/headlights.

My best friend also had a 944...fun little car, but as some have said, you don't want to break anything. My buddy peeled out from an intersection one night, out in the country, and when he went to make the 1-2 shift he grenaded the rear end. Never drove it again, as he couldn't afford to replace the rear end...you really don't see a lot of those cars in the junkyard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Petty
I don't know, but I've been told: You never slow down, you never grow old.
jb1016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 10:17 AM   #5
1badgmc

Yeah, my friend became good friends with all the German car repair guys in town here and he made them rich between his 2 944s and the BMW he had next.
Old 09-10-2010, 05:23 PM   #6
caminokid
Chevy nut

Yes keys hid. The safe is the safest place. Only I have the combo!

Old 09-10-2010, 07:44 PM   #7
Sillyoldman

Good deal. I like the paint too.

'71 Custom Deluxe C-20 402.
'67 Buick Special 455.
'49 Plymouth Special Deluxe.
"I love that old car smell"

Some people are like Slinkies... not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
Sillyoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 10:33 PM   #8
caminokid
Chevy nut

Now I find myself looking at turbo kits and nitrous. I believe I am going to get in trouble with this thing. I was looking at body kits too. Interior parts are not easy to come by for it. I seen a set of wheels on another 944. I guess those are original to that car. Ugly...just plain ugly. They are the one with the 5 round holes in them. Porsche wheels or not....if I had those I would throw them right in the junk pile. I was also thinking maybe all black would be better. Red just says...here I am cops! No it screams here I am cops! I could make this car a ringer at the strip. There is so much going through my mind about this car. 20 years ago you couldnt have paid me to take it. Now I appreciate the finer cars. I never wanted any foreign car. I drove a BMW 740iL once and was hooked. I drove a few Mercedes and you could pay me to drive one now. Drove my dream Ferrari. 328GTS. Yeah I would be all about that car. That is the Magnum PI car. I drove a Lambo once. They are ok. The power is unbelievable. Turn and stop on the dime and pick it up and hand it to you. just didnt see the justification in price. I also craked my head on the door getting out of it. Gullwing doors tend to hurt.

Last edited by caminokid; 09-10-2010 at 10:34 PM.
Old 09-10-2010, 11:34 PM   #9
ERASER5

I have worked on a 944 similar to that one back in 87 or so. The owner made us rich too. He would tinker with it, we would tow it in and fix it. Several times he did this routine. Test drives were fun though!
ERASER5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 09:32 AM   #10
1badgmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by caminokid View Post
Now I find myself looking at turbo kits and nitrous. I believe I am going to get in trouble with this thing. I was looking at body kits too. Interior parts are not easy to come by for it.
My buddy used PowerHaus in Phoenix for a lot of performance upgrades on his Turbo. He made many trips out to them. He's thinking of taking his 968 out there to have a turbo put on the 3.0L.

Quote:
I seen a set of wheels on another 944. I guess those are original to that car. Ugly...just plain ugly. They are the one with the 5 round holes in them. Porsche wheels or not....if I had those I would throw them right in the junk pile.
Your description sounds like the "phone dial" wheels. My friend's '87 Turbo had them. We both preferred them to the to the black wheels you have, which is what his '84 also had.

Incidentally, that is exactly what my friend's Turbo looked like. The same nicer Turbo front bumper, the wheels, color...

Food for thought, here's yours in black...