The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-25-2018, 12:51 PM   #1
'65 chevy lover

How much fluid in TH400?

How much fluid in a TH400? Has just been rebuilt so, it has no fluid now.
Thanks,
Bill
'65 chevy lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 01:33 PM   #2
oldusafmsgt

Re: How much fluid in TH400?

TRANSMISSION FLUID CAPACITY
Transmission (w/ Stock Pan) # of Quarts
GM TH350 4
GM TH400 6
GM Powerglide 4
1963 Chevy C10 Short Fleetside
1965 Chevy C10 Short Stepside
1965 Chevy C10 Long Fleetside
1966 GMC 1000 Long Fleetside
1966 Chevy C10 Short Fleetside
oldusafmsgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 07:33 PM   #3
Wrenchbender Ret

With a complete o-haul & no fluid in the converter, it will take about 12 quarts.
Wrenchbender Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 07:41 PM   #4
mongocanfly
Post Whore

ditto to what wrench bender says...I think we put 14-15 qts in a new 4l60 and convertor

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 08:03 PM   #5
YoungPup1977
Account Suspended

A rebuilt th400 with new TC and flushed cooler lines:

1. pour in 6 Qts of ATF
2. Start vehicle in Park
3. Pour in 4 more Qts of ATF
4. With foot on brake, shift trans into reverse, engagement ? shift trans into Forwards, engagement ?
5. Check fluid
6. Pour in 2 more qts of ATF as required. should be in the area of 12 qts
7. Drive vehicle and achieve operating temperture, once you have successful road test, check trans fluid again to ensure level is correct. Add as required.

of course, vehicle should be on a level area when checking the fluid.

This is NOT for a trans filter and fluid change since the TC can not be drained....but I have seen people drill a hole in the TC and let it drain than use a pop rivet.....not recommended for a TC with a Lock up clutch similar to a 700R4/4L60

Good Luck !!!
YoungPup1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 12:51 PM   #6
rideblue00

good to know thanks
rideblue00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 05:54 PM   #7
Alex V.

IIRC the deep pan 400 holds at least 12 quars, total.

1985 GMC C3500 SRW, Sierra Classic, 454/TH400, white/blue.
Alex V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 08:11 PM   #8
'65 chevy lover

I'm way late replying but, thanks to all for the help!
'65 chevy lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 11:13 PM   #9
SunSoaked

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldusafmsgt View Post
TRANSMISSION FLUID CAPACITY
Transmission (w/ Stock Pan) # of Quarts
GM TH350 4
GM TH400 6
GM Powerglide 4
Not even close! I just drained mine ,added a drain plug and put at least 6 quarts in it without dropping the tq convertor.
SunSoaked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 01:06 AM   #10
singleshot

Not to make my initial post here a non-informative, but I just dealt with a th400 oil pan drop and refill.

New to me truck (78), super info from the PO (not) and a leaking out-put seal (rear seal). So after changing the rear seal I went to top off what I had lost after driving it home. Now mind you, this was not just a dripping leak, this was a steady flow of drips.

Here's where the first of many alarm bells started going off with this truck. I put three and a half quarts in and NEVER got a drop on my dip stick. Of which, I pumped probably a quart out the over-flow tube and onto my shop floor (ignorant error on my part).

Long story short? After dropping the pan, I noted that there wasn't any dip stick protruding into the pan. The PO and or the builder of the th400 put the wrong stick in the tube. After a fruitless search of the local parts stores and transmissions shops, I ended up cutting 6 5/8" off the tube so that the stick was in the proper position (really cleans up the engine compartment with the dip stick neatly tucked behind the valve cover).

5 1/2 quarts to fill after dropping the pan, filter and gasket replacement..
singleshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 10:37 AM   #11
Dead Parrot

Any idea which dip stick you have? Part number or such? You might have discovered a nice mod for those really trying to clean up an engine compartment.
Dead Parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 04:47 PM   #12
singleshot

there are no part numbers on the stick. It is just over 26.5 inches long and I cut 6 5/8" off the tube to make it work.

It's one of those chrome types that are hard to see if anything is actually on it and it's got the seal inside the cap.

I believe the tube itself is a factory unit. It's got a welded on tab that's much thicker than what the local part stores were attempting to sell me (junk).

Headed in to gather the next batch of parts so this thing is livable in the rainy Oregon weather (windshield washer reservoir and hopefully a intermittent wiper switch).

We shall see.. The local truck parts guy REALLY loves his parts.
Old 03-04-2018, 10:28 AM   #13
YoungPup1977
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by singleshot View Post
Not to make my initial post here a non-informative, but I just dealt with a th400 oil pan drop and refill.

New to me truck (78), super info from the PO (not) and a leaking out-put seal (rear seal). So after changing the rear seal I went to top off what I had lost after driving it home. Now mind you, this was not just a dripping leak, this was a steady flow of drips.

Here's where the first of many alarm bells started going off with this truck. I put three and a half quarts in and NEVER got a drop on my dip stick. Of which, I pumped probably a quart out the over-flow tube and onto my shop floor (ignorant error on my part).

Long story short? After dropping the pan, I noted that there wasn't any dip stick protruding into the pan. The PO and or the builder of the th400 put the wrong stick in the tube. After a fruitless search of the local parts stores and transmissions shops, I ended up cutting 6 5/8" off the tube so that the stick was in the proper position (really cleans up the engine compartment with the dip stick neatly tucked behind the valve cover).

5 1/2 quarts to fill after dropping the pan, filter and gasket replacement..
What was the process you used to ensure the CORRECT amount of fluid was added to the T400 and it was at the CORRECT LEVEL ? How did you come to cutting 6 5/8 off the tube ?
Old 03-05-2018, 02:37 AM   #14
singleshot

From my reading, the "full" mark on the stick should be at the pan/transmission joint (basically at the gasket).

The stick is already marked "add a quart" and "full", so the cut and filing was done until the full mark reached the depth of the top of the pan.

My first cut was lucky and I only had to file the top of the tube straight (sawzall cut)

Basic caliper measurement up the tube from the bottom until I hit the stick, added the distance from the bottom of the stick to the "full" mark, cut away... I filed the top so it didn't look some rat chewed the tube, cleaned it up with some brake cleaner and mounted it up.

I could be off 1/8" low (stick too long), but I can guarantee it wouldn't be more than that. We are talking about a transmission that has a variance (on this stick anyways) of more than 3/4" between add and full. So an 1/8" on a stick is pretty dang close in my opinion. That amount of fluid in a pan could be varied by the gasket material (cork vs. rubber).

I would honestly trust this set-up more than I would have trusted someone giving me a new stick and saying "trust me".

I was just considering an alternative. One could cut the top of their tube off until they liked the look, then they could simply cut the bottom off at the appropriate length. Then they would simply have to scribe or punch two marks on their cut stick to indicate full and add a quart at the proper location on the stick.

Last edited by singleshot; 03-05-2018 at 03:33 AM.
Old 03-06-2018, 02:00 PM   #15
YoungPup1977
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by singleshot View Post
From my reading, the "full" mark on the stick should be at the pan/transmission joint (basically at the gasket).

The stick is already marked "add a quart" and "full", so the cut and filing was done until the full mark reached the depth of the top of the pan.

My first cut was lucky and I only had to file the top of the tube straight (sawzall cut)

Basic caliper measurement up the tube from the bottom until I hit the stick, added the distance from the bottom of the stick to the "full" mark, cut away... I filed the top so it didn't look some rat chewed the tube, cleaned it up with some brake cleaner and mounted it up.

I could be off 1/8" low (stick too long), but I can guarantee it wouldn't be more than that. We are talking about a transmission that has a variance (on this stick anyways) of more than 3/4" between add and full. So an 1/8" on a stick is pretty dang close in my opinion. That amount of fluid in a pan could be varied by the gasket material (cork vs. rubber).

I would honestly trust this set-up more than I would have trusted someone giving me a new stick and saying "trust me".

I was just considering an alternative. One could cut the top of their tube off until they liked the look, then they could simply cut the bottom off at the appropriate length. Then they would simply have to scribe or punch two marks on their cut stick to indicate full and add a quart at the proper location on the stick.
As the thread was posted as how much fluid in a rebuilt 400. How much fluid did your t400 take to make it full per your dipstick ?
Posted via Mobile Device. 5 1/2 qts. But fluid was still in the converter ?
Old 03-06-2018, 04:04 PM   #16
singleshot

5 1/2 quarts

Everything else was full (converter/lines/cooler).