The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-18-2019, 05:24 AM   #1
QBRacing

Lower bearing on late model steering column

Ok, So I'm building a 58 over here in NZ and my junkyard parts are pretty limited. Basically I have managed to get my hands on what I believe to be a 94-96 cutlass tilt steering column.

I've stripped it (finally) and have come up with a plan to make it fit.

I should have just modified the factory brackets by enlarging the diameter of both halves of the brackets but I didn't think about that before I had cut the column up.

Question 1)
How do you remove the lower bearing from the bottom of a steering column. Is it pressed on as I cant get it off it is.?

Question 2)
The external rod thingy bit .... on the engine bay side ... that connects to the gearbox selector. Can this be removed? It appears to be pressed on , maybe a spline but again I cant get it off.

The reason I ask is that I want to drop the outer shaft (second image) so that I can weld another 170mm of shaft to it so that it extends further up in the column (my hand shows where the base should be.

It might help if you also watch this video of it which I made as it shows more of what I am trying to achieve.

Thanks

Quintin
Attached Images

QBRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 01:52 PM   #2
mr48chev

Re: Lower bearing on late model steering column

I used to have a couple of those in my scrap pile if they didn't get hauled off as they were pretty well beat up. I'll look and see what I can come up with. I think the factory service manual for the 79 ElCamino we used to have might have a diagram too.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 04:12 PM   #3
QBRacing

Mr48chev

The rod connector for the shift is welded on.

As for the bearing you can stand down. I cant use this rack anyways as someone has ground back the spline on the shaft and welded on the end you can see here. It appears the weld was what was stopping the bearing coming off.

I have been given another rack to pull apart and steal the central shaft from so will play around with that somewhat.

Thanks anyways.

Q
QBRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 08:28 PM   #4
joedoh

interestingly, when I had a steering column with a bad bottom bearing, I was stumped on finding the replacement part. I ended up with a JEEP part, which is fine because some 80s/90s jeeps used chevy columns. the jeep part number is OAI18019.02

I know you said you dont need the advice anymore but its a good idea to replace it on any column because its only $25 for the whole kit, I was able to find one at the local 4x4 store so not even any shipping added. and the way to disassemble it is shown in the pictures of the kit, it uses a three prong retaining ring that snaps into the plastic through the metal of the column.
Attached Images

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 08:59 PM   #5
mr48chev

Good to see that you have it figured out.

I'm saving Joedoe's info on that bearing as that may come in handy later. That might simplify things down the line.

A lot of Mopar products use Saginaw aka GM steering columns Rear wheel drive at least.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote