The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-27-2014, 08:28 PM   #1
larey

Slow Build 80 C10 SWB Stepside

Well it has started and I have decided that I need to document it. I purchased 1980 C10 Stepside from the local salvage yard as it was the shop truck and I was looking for a project. I looked it over and it had some rust in the normal spots or what I would consider normal. This was pieced together by the salvage yard with other parts from other vehicles. So it has a 250 I6 and a TH350 transmission with floor shift, but was originally a three on the tree.

First I got it home and looked it over as well as cleaned out the bed. Safety was my number one priority as I will be driving it local in town only till I deem it reliable enough for my full time job daily trip of 70 miles a day. On initial look over the blinkers did not work(front or rear), the hood had the folding option in the middle, and the brakes where very iffy.

Well I work at the local parts store part time, and the first thing was to get the blinkers and lights all fixed. That required me to take the steering wheel apart and change the turn signal cam. More of a pain then I meant it to be as I did it in the store parking lot after work so I would not have to rent the steering wheel puller just use it. Whoever decided to put metric nuts to hold the steering column up needs to be punched. This fixed all the problems I had with the lights.

Folding hood option in North West Florida means to just buy a new one. This looked easy enough except I would have to pay freight shipping so I went all out and ordered two new fenders, a new hood, new rear brake lines, rear leafs, and a bushing kit for all the rear end.

Next was the brakes.....This had to be the biggest pain as I had looked over and over through out the forums to find a break down of what and how to change the manual brakes to power brakes. Found tidbits of information here and there and just decided to buy a booster master cylinder from CPP. CPP states it was a bolt on upgrade and would not require much, maybe they have not done this before as it included new hardware for it to mount to the firewall with. Not sure if I thought it all the way thru but had thought it was meant to use all the new hardware so I took the steering column out and the pedal assembly as I had to remove the studs off the support so I could use the hardware they provided. Next I had to oversize the hole the brake rod mounted onto. Then after mounted I had to bend the brake lines around as they are opposite from the manual.

Booster upgraded but the brakes still felt funny so I looked at the rear end and the rear brakes where shot. I figured since the bed was rusted and rotted out I would just remove it so I could work the back of the truck first. The rear of the truck was in terrible condition as the shocks where loose in the frame mount. I had to cut all the bed hardware off.

I decided that the rear leafs where also shot and ordered a new set and then decided to just remove the rear end. This is a new experience for me as I have always do the normal maintenance things but never this in-depth. Parts store discount got me a lot for $300. New drums, new shoes, new cylinders, new shocks all around, new springs and hardware, new parking brake cables, primer, axle shaft seals and bearings as well, diff fluid, and paint for it all. I sand blasted the backing plates and had to get new hardware to hold them on as some of it was corroded at the treads and I did not feel comfortable with it.

Got the rear end all back together and put back under the truck. Got the new hood on temporarily and was looking at my hinges as they had a lot of horizontal play in them. Ordered new hinges and have yet to put them on as I am currently trying to make or fab gas lifts mounts to replace the huge springs that are normally on them.

The bed is still of and I have decided that I am going to place herculiner on it for all the sides including around the rolled edge. I want to place the Mr. Gasket Anchortrax near the top but below the edge of the sides in the six foot version. Next is the bed and I am leaning towards the composite wood that Lowes offers but will have to wait till I get the angle strips and bed rails first as mine where completely shot as you can see by the pictures. I plan on priming the entire truck and this will be the first part as I will be priming the bed first along with the fenders.

I will try to keep this post updated on a weekly or bi-monthly basis as I work a lot and also go to school.

Larey
Attached Images

larey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 08:31 PM   #2
larey

Re: Slow Build 80 C10 SWB Stepside

More Pics
Attached Images

Old 03-27-2014, 08:31 PM   #3
larey

Oh yeah and the CPP booster should of been painted before anything as it rusted pretty quick.
Old 03-29-2014, 04:36 PM   #4
walkerb

Hahaha hood folding option. Nice truck. Round headlights or square?
1986 K30 Crewcab SRW 350
R.I.P- glimmertwin01- board member and good friend, you will be missed
walkerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 07:02 PM   #5
rusty76

Good looking truck. And honestly that hood doesn't look all that bad, but pictures can hide a lot. I'm looking forward to your build.
My build thread
Crossmembers CC
rusty76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 08:50 PM   #6
larey

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkerb View Post
Hahaha hood folding option. Nice truck. Round headlights or square?
Round headlights. Thanks for looking.
Old 03-29-2014, 08:51 PM   #7
larey

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty76 View Post
Good looking truck. And honestly that hood doesn't look all that bad, but pictures can hide a lot. I'm looking forward to your build.
Yeah that is the new hood, looks a lot better after replacing it, the old one had a inch or two gap half way down the side.

Thanks for looking.

Larey
Old 03-30-2014, 01:51 AM   #8
ChevDog1

Awesome! Another 1980 stepper with the straight six! I have a build thread going on mine also.

If it's not to much trouble, could you post some detailed pics of your engine? Some with and without the air cleaner? The PO of my truck stripped all of the emission stuff off, and I am trying to get it put back together so I can get it through smog and start driving it. Both sides of the engine, and shots of as much of the vacuum lines as possible would be really helpful, as I have not been able to find much online. Thanks - and I look forward to following your project!
ChevDog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 07:54 PM   #9
larey

ChevyDog1 my truck barely has any emission stuff as it was pieced and parted together at the junk yard. I will still take some and post them for ya.

I spent the day making a stand for the bed to fit in the garage so I could cut out the angle strips and then get ready to replace them and build the bed after sanding and treating the metal. I plan on bolting on the angle strips does anyone have any suggestions for the process? Attached are pictures of the old angle strip.

Thanks for following,

Larey
Attached Images

Old 04-01-2014, 08:28 PM   #10
larey

More pics of the clean up in progress.

Larey
Attached Images

Old 04-02-2014, 06:58 PM   #11
larey

Here are the ones I took today if you need other pictures of other areas or close ups took let me know.

Larey
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevDog1 View Post
Awesome! Another 1980 stepper with the straight six! I have a build thread going on mine also.

If it's not to much trouble, could you post some detailed pics of your engine? Some with and without the air cleaner? The PO of my truck stripped all of the emission stuff off, and I am trying to get it put back together so I can get it through smog and start driving it. Both sides of the engine, and shots of as much of the vacuum lines as possible would be really helpful, as I have not been able to find much online. Thanks - and I look forward to following your project!
Attached Images

Old 04-02-2014, 07:02 PM   #12
ChevDog1

Those will be very helpful - thanks!

If possible, could you take a shot looking straight down behind the carb? Trying to see where the PCV and brake booster vacuum sources are located.
ChevDog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 10:00 PM   #13
larey

Build is going slow as I just put in my new 60 gallon air compressor. Hope to be able to have the bed back together before the end of may as school I'd taking up some of my time.
Old 07-30-2014, 11:18 PM   #14
larey

Does anyone have the specifications on the bolts that hold the bed to the frame? I ordered a bed kit for the wood and have those measurements if anyone needs them. I prefer to buy hardware locally for a few bucks more as I can buy a little at a time. As the wood strip bolt kit would cost about $30 bucks at Ace Hardware and it is $29.99 at LMC.
Old 07-30-2014, 11:19 PM   #15
larey

So an update since school is out after summer classes. I have the bed partially complete with primer and have the angle strips and rails primered as well. Once I finish up the outside of the bed I hopefully will be able to focus on the rear fenders and then assembly on the truck.
Old 09-23-2014, 08:26 PM   #16
larey

So I decided that the bed was going to be along time project as I needed the money for the wood kit, so I decided to tackle the front as I had all the peieces except te core support. Dropped the 126 on Amazon.com: OE Replacement Chevrolet/GMC Radiator... Amazon.com: OE Replacement Chevrolet/GMC Radiator... and have to say for a replacement panel it should work great. I should be able to replace it tomorrow and then next will be mounting the inner fenders, fenders, and hopefully getting the hood lined up so the truck will be drive able again.
I also had time last week to replace the body mount bushings as they where shot and have to say that was not a fun day. For those that are looking to do the work look forward to cutting a hole in your floor as the great GM Square Nut did not help me at all. I hopefully will be able to post pictures this week.
Old 11-12-2014, 04:47 PM   #17
larey

Little update as school and work and work have been taking a lot of my time. New hood, fenders, and core support installed. Bed is getting slowly redone as I am hoping to buy the wood for it during Christmas as the wife and I are limiting the kids amount to nothing crazy. I am now going to work on the wire routing and other front end items as it gets dark way to early to do anything else I want to accomplish. Still have to work on hood, fender, and cab alignment.
Attached Images

Old 12-19-2014, 03:22 AM   #18
Chaplain

Updates?
Chaplain is offline   Reply With Quote