The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-18-2014, 02:50 PM   #1
portrodder

1985 Short Bed

Recently purchased a 1985, Chevy C10 Silverado, short bed fleet side with about 160K miles. The truck has been sitting since early 2011 and its the original red/white with red interior. The original 305 CID engine has been replaced with a 350 CID crate motor as stated by the prior owner. This motor is suppose to have between 20K and 25K on it. Overall the truck is very orginal with the exception of some aftermarket gauges and radio.

Here are a few pictures of what she looks like
Attached Images

portrodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 06:42 PM   #2
Wrecked1982

Re: 1985 Short Bed

looks like a good starting point
Wrecked1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 04:37 PM   #3
rusty76

Clean looking truck.
My build thread
Crossmembers CC
rusty76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 01:48 PM   #4
portrodder

Finally got to do a little checking and work on the truck this weekend. Purchased a battery and some gas put it all in and after a few minutes it started. Motor ran well, a little ruff but considering how long it has been sitting its good to have it running at all. I did run it long enough to know that the carb will need adjusting/rebuild and a new set of valve cover gaskets to stop the oil leaks. Now to check the brakes and everything else to get it ready for the state safety inspection.

A few more pic of what I working with
Attached Images

Old 03-31-2014, 02:31 PM   #5
portrodder

Finally got the brakes adjusted and working, changed out a couple of blown headlights and was able to get a safety inspection. Can legally drive it on the road if necessary without worrying about getting a ticket .

Now I need to get parts to: 1. Rebuild the front end. 2. Rebuild/replace the door hinges on both doors. 3. Replace/repair the leaking steering box. 4. Gas gauge only shows close to 1/2 a tank when full.

Want to drop the front 1 to 2 inches when doing the front end, what the best cost effective (cheap) way to do this?
Old 03-31-2014, 09:56 PM   #6
Paul83

Nice looking truck. You could just cut the coil if it is In good enough shape. That is pretty cheap. If you are doing the front end anyway the coil will be coming off. Do it then. Also if you are repairing the steering box; I would check the rag joint and replace it too if needed.

I like long walks on the beach, dinner by candle light, and poking dead things with a stick.
Paul83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 01:10 PM   #7
portrodder

Thanks Paul83 for your reply. Can I run regular shocks or do I have to get different ones. Ordered the parts for the front end rebuild a lot cheaper on line so while I'm waiting on the Postman I'm going to start removing the front cap to do some work and repair in that area. It should also make it a lot easier to do the front end work with things out of the way.
Old 04-02-2014, 07:57 PM   #8
Paul83

With that small of a drop I would not worry about shorter shocks. They do make them though. If that is something you are going to change anyway. I did my entire front end just a few months ago. I ordered all my parts from rock auto. That was way cheaper, doing it all at once also made the job easier. The truck rides smooth now.

I like long walks on the beach, dinner by candle light, and poking dead things with a stick.
Old 04-06-2014, 10:38 PM   #9
portrodder

Finally got all of the parts ordered for the front end rebuild and since I have several days before parts start coming in though I'd start removing the front cap to make it easier to do the repairs and rebuild of the front end.
Attached Images

Old 04-08-2014, 12:06 AM   #10
portrodder

Worked on the truck a little more today, just general tear down. Want have to worry about cutting the dash to install a after market stereo because the dash has already been cut
Attached Images

Old 04-10-2014, 12:41 AM   #11
portrodder

Well it rained the past couple of days so haven't been able to do much to the truck. All was not a total lost though because I started putting together a to do list and a parts list. Will get back at it as soon as the weather gets better.
Old 04-14-2014, 11:31 AM   #12
portrodder

Got a chance to do a little more work on the truck the past few days. Between of the honey due list and spring lawn cleaning and care didn't get as much done as I would have liked. Still working on removing the front cap and hopefully will get it all done in the next few days because steering and suspension parts have started coming in from rock auto parts.
Attached Images

Old 04-23-2014, 12:11 PM   #13
portrodder

Finally got all of my steering and suspension parts in from rock auto and finished the deconstruction of the front cap. Now to remove all of the old components, clean up the frame area and begin the rebuild of the steering and suspension.
Attached Images

Old 04-23-2014, 09:20 PM   #14
Paul83

If you plan on replacing the front rubber brake lines do it now while the fenders are off. They are a pain in the butt if you do it with them on. Tight spots. Not sure if they need replacing, but just a thought.

Old 04-25-2014, 11:56 PM   #15
portrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul83 View Post
If you plan on replacing the front rubber brake lines do it now while the fenders are off. They are a pain in the butt if you do it with them on. Tight spots. Not sure if they need replacing, but just a thought.
Thanks for the tip Paul83, I had planed to replace all of the brake hardware and anything else you might suggest is more than welcome. Still in the process of tearing her down
Attached Images

Old 06-15-2014, 12:40 AM   #16
portrodder

May was not a very productive month for working on the truck with several out of town/out of state graduations and a lot of rain. I did however, pick up on a great deal from Harbor Freight on a shop crane for a very good price, less than a $100.00 plus shipping.
Attached Images

Old 06-27-2014, 01:28 AM   #17
portrodder

Still making some progress on the truck, however slow, but progress anyway . Got a chance to used the new engine hoist and removed the motor and transmission.
Attached Images

Old 06-30-2014, 11:15 PM   #18
Paul83

Slow is better than none. It took me 1 year and a half between work and life. It is well worth it. Having the engine and tranny out will make the rest of your work easier.

Old 07-01-2014, 08:24 AM   #19
naphtali5725

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul83 View Post
Slow is better than none. It took me 1 year and a half between work and life. It is well worth it. Having the engine and tranny out will make the rest of your work easier.
blah... i'm going on 3 years on mine

looking good!

Disabled Veteran
82nd Airborne Division
Operations: Desert Shield, Desert Storm, and Uphold Democracy
naphtali5725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 08:55 PM   #20
portrodder

Got a chance to work on the truck a little, a lot of wet weather here lately, and getting closer to getting the cab off. Progress included getting both doors off and all the cab bolts out but one. That last bolt made about 3 turns and froze up, want go in or out so my question is what do you guys do with something like this. Other problem is the inside bolt to the upper door hinge fell out of the socket and drop to the inner rocker, I think, so how do you remove this bolt or just leave it and replace it with another.
Attached Images

Old 09-05-2014, 10:49 PM   #21
portrodder

After soaking the last cab bolt with pb blaster for about a week it still wouldn't turn, finally started spinning in the holder. Finally got it out but had to go a different route and after checking the bolt after removal replacement is in order. The next step is to get the carriage nut out.
Attached Images

Old 09-06-2014, 06:43 PM   #22
rusty76

She didn't want to come out huh? Wow.
My build thread
Crossmembers CC
rusty76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 03:47 PM   #23
portrodder

Finally got the cage nut out, it was stripped and needs to be replaced, and lifted the cab from the frame. Will start taking everything off the frame to clean it up and repaint.
Attached Images

Old 10-09-2014, 01:25 AM   #24
portrodder

Well, I'm still working on the truck and have it down to the frame. Will get the brake and fuel lines off and began the clean up process to get it ready for paint.
Attached Images

Old 10-12-2014, 02:35 AM   #25
portrodder

Finally got everything off the frame and it's time to get down and dirty with the cleanup. Purchased a couple of gallons of purple power, some red scuff pads, a long handle and short handle scrub brushes, pulled out the power washer and went to work.

Also ordered a paint gun set from TCP Global and waiting on it to come in. Will purchased the primer and paint locally. That's it for now but will keep working at it.