The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-26-2011, 10:17 PM   #76
NONHOG

Re: The Good, The Bad and Ugly from Harbor Freight

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieD View Post
Hase anyone bought the wheel dolly's if so are they any good?
With my 65 Cutlass on them it was a no go. I tried turning all the wheels straight and I guess it was too much for them. I bought them for a much smaller Volvo. So think hard about what you'll use them for.
Old 04-27-2011, 08:50 PM   #77
ETsC10
Hand Crafted C-10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NONHOG View Post
With my 65 Cutlass on them it was a no go. I tried turning all the wheels straight and I guess it was too much for them. I bought them for a much smaller Volvo. So think hard about what you'll use them for.
Haha. I'm with you on that. I've got one in the shop with all four wheels but one of the wheels is laying on wheel cradle.
ETsC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 03:17 PM   #78
orbot

Anyone here has used their co2 tanks???
orbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 08:11 AM   #79
FrankieD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETsC10 View Post
Haha. I'm with you on that. I've got one in the shop with all four wheels but one of the wheels is laying on wheel cradle.
Thanks guys I guess I will save the $100 on those and buy some beer.
http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
FrankieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 09:25 PM   #80
Mxracer202

thinkin about gettina brandnew craftsman 6" bench grinder for $35...but im worried that its cheap quality now sonce kmart bought them out, any input?

TROUBLE MAKER RACING

"If you can't stand BEHIND our troops, please stand in FRONT of them."
Mxracer202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 10:03 PM   #81
NONHOG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mxracer202 View Post
thinking about getting a brand new craftsman 6" bench grinder for $35...but im worried that its cheap quality now since kmart bought them out, any input?
Mine is 15 years old and it was made in China. Never even looked till the capasiter smoked on it.
Been working fine since. Year or two.
Probably better then HF?
Old 05-02-2011, 01:05 AM   #82
lilpoindexter

I have (had?) one of those pretty little light weight blue and silver 3000 lb floor jacks from HF...It worked fine, but my truck wasn't completely up on the ramps...I was doing something with the jack, that was probably unsafe...Long story short, the jack acted as a "stop" to keep my truck from rolling completely down the ramps....The jack got bent into a parallelogram, and now it doesn't collapse all the way, but it still works fine!...I guess they haven't idiot proofed their tools yet.
lilpoindexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 11:57 PM   #83
54Caddy
GM Addicted

So the big red tool box from them is good quality. How does it do with the weight of a lot of tools in the drawers. Are the drawers big enough to put some 36 inch long pry bars. Im a tech at nissan and been looking for a box, cant get my self to buy a mac or snap on box. The price of one of those can get my truck looking a lot better.

My 73 GMC Truck Build Pic
2010 Silverado 4/6 on 24s

IG:MacsGarage
54Caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 01:46 AM   #84
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

The 'purple' paint gun, 47016. This thing rocks, and is only $14.99. It sprays better than MANY other much more expensive guns I've used. I figure, if it wears out, I'll go get another...

Instagram _elgringoloco_

'70 Short-Wide How to: Ruin a perfectly good C10
‘70 Blazer ConversionHow To: Ruin a Perfectly Good 4wd
'72 Highlander How To: Ruin a Perfectly Good K/5 (SOLD)
'72 Blazer 2WD How to: Ruin a perfectly good Blazer (SOLD)
'05 Yukon Daily Driven (not so stock) Yukon (SOLD)
‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)

Members met list: SCOTI, darkhorse970, 67cheby, 67cheby'sGirl, klmore, porterbuilt, n2billet, Fastrucken, classicchev, Col Clank, GSFMECH, HuggerCST, Spray-Bomb, BACKYARD88, 5150, fine69, fatbass, smbrouss70, 65StreetCruiser, GAc10boy
gringoloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 02:57 PM   #85
Sub-versive
Boss Hogg

I admit, I avoided HF like the plague.
Then I landed this new job, over half the guys use a fair amount of HF stuff. After witnessing, borrowing and trying it out for myself, a few things are not bad.

Air tools:
1/4" die grinders-straight and 90*
1/4" cut-off tool
-just add oil and they last a long time

I bought mine for 9.99, can't beat that. In fact, one of the guys killed an IR 1/4" before he killed his HF grinder, go figure.(treated equally) Same guy has one grinder he refuses to oil, 9 years and still going. We use these daily too, I would have NEVER bet they would hold up as well as an IR unit until actually witnessing it.

Sockets:
3/8" and 1/2" sockets
deep impact sockets
impact extensions
allen head sockets
breaker bars
They all work great. I bought a newer Crapsman set that rounded a socket recently, I couldn't believe it. So I replaced it with HF stuff, no problems yet.
I prefer my SK set, but if one goes missing the company replaces it with stanley/Proto, so my SK stays at home.

car dollies
I have the car dollies too. As I've said before, grease them liberally and they perform fine. A set of 4 was ? $70-$80 when I got them, can't remeber exactly, they were on super sale.

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited

2002 Chevy Trailblazer LS 2WD

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammitmitchell View Post
....wear your adult diaper when you go out to play.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
I am tard.
Do, or do not, there is no try
Sub-versive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 06:17 PM   #86
karlbenz

drill bits suck
step drills work good
welding helmet works good unless what you are welding is in line with fluorescent lights(auto darkens from the light)
karlbenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 04:03 PM   #87
Altec
Getcha Pull

FAIL

Pittsburgh
Item # 47902
"40 Piece 3/8" and 1/4" Drive Socket Set"

I opened the package, and when I grabbed a socket to see how it felt. I noticed a rough feeling edge on it. Grabbed another, and felt the same. Then I stuck the socket on my new Pittsburgh Composite ratchet, and it wouldn't stay on... Because the sockets don't have proper holes/grooves for the detent. Just a tiny lip that won't let a push button release engage. Now, the true failure is when I took the socket off the ratchet. When I grabbed it, that rough edge let go of a sliver of metal...Right into my finger... So I had to pick a 1/4" long chunk of chrome coated steel out of my finger (Read: Not chrome flakes...)...

Other then that, I don't understand why a set that is 95% 1/4" uses a 3/8" ratchet with a adapter...

$4 isn't worth picking metal out of your finger... Thank the lord it was a freebie...

http://www.harborfreight.com/40-piec...set-47902.html

PASS

Pittsburgh
Item # 66313
"3/8" Heavy Duty Composite Ratchet"

Purchased this from a tip on GJ. For $9, and a Lifetime Warranty I figured at worst it will be a loaner... First impressions are sturdy, comfortable, and the 72 tooth ratcheting action is very smooth! Had a chance to use it once since getting it, and it has good grip. I use mainly Snap-On ratchets, but this one has my respect so far!

The one, and only problem I have is because of the internal design... The reverse lever is backwards from damn near every other ratchet made! I am not finding this to be as big of a problem as I thought it would be, but I am still considering re engineering it a bit...

http://www.harborfreight.com/3-8-eig...het-66313.html

'96 Integra
Altec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 12:36 AM   #88
1LowToy

Just wondering if anyone has tryed out the stud gun for the dent puller. any good? I gotta do something soon and I hate using hammers
1LowToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 07:11 AM   #89
FrankieD

SALE
http://widgets.harborfreight.com/wsw...9&keycode=1002
http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
FrankieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 11:31 AM   #90
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LowToy View Post
Just wondering if anyone has tryed out the stud gun for the dent puller. any good? I gotta do something soon and I hate using hammers
I have used it and it works fairly well. You will need to hold the trigger for a bit to get them to set properly, and it pulls a lot of amperage, but will get the job done...

Instagram _elgringoloco_

'70 Short-Wide How to: Ruin a perfectly good C10
‘70 Blazer ConversionHow To: Ruin a Perfectly Good 4wd
'72 Highlander How To: Ruin a Perfectly Good K/5 (SOLD)
'72 Blazer 2WD How to: Ruin a perfectly good Blazer (SOLD)
'05 Yukon Daily Driven (not so stock) Yukon (SOLD)
‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)

Members met list: SCOTI, darkhorse970, 67cheby, 67cheby'sGirl, klmore, porterbuilt, n2billet, Fastrucken, classicchev, Col Clank, GSFMECH, HuggerCST, Spray-Bomb, BACKYARD88, 5150, fine69, fatbass, smbrouss70, 65StreetCruiser, GAc10boy
gringoloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 02:23 PM   #91
blime81
Laid Lo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mxracer202 View Post
Anyone tried their welders? chop saws? air compressors? dies? torque wrenches? winches? tube bender? drill presses? haha sorry spent a while looking for things I need.
Welders: The little 110 inverter stick welder is pretty cool and you can easily turn it into a scratch start TIG if you need such a thing. Not so impressed by the others I've seen there mainly because they have coarse adjustments and just plain look cheap but I have very little time on any of them.

Chop saw: Caged a desert truck and every cut was made with the chop saw. Had to be careful since it will loosen up and make crooked cuts but if you check it before every cut it works pretty good. The blade is soft so just buy a new one when you get it.

Dies: I manufacture a product that involves threading rod. Trust me you are better off collecting the sizes you need in quality taps and dies over time than buying the "every size included" HF set.

Drill presses: These are seem OK. A friend has the big one and it seems to be holding up. I suggest buying an old American made press. They last forever and a used one will cost about the same a new HF one.

Compressor: Had a little 10 gal one for a couple years. Worked OK but it got really hot and I had to replace the cheapo breaker. My shop quickly outgrew it. I wouldn't get one again simply because for the cost of a HF big one you can buy a name brand with an on-site warranty.
'07 Sand Rail - ecotec powered
'05 2500HD - tows stuff
'67 VW Bug - gas saver
'01 Jeep TJ - rock crawler
blime81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 02:40 PM   #92
7T2

Quote:
Originally Posted by blime81 View Post

Dies: I manufacture a product that involves threading rod. Trust me you are better off collecting the sizes you need in quality taps and dies over time than buying the "every size included" HF set.
I know this is a Harbor Freight thread, but since you mentioned them I thought I would throw out my ever-loving praise of CRAFTSMANS tap and die sets. I got both complete sets (standard and metric), along with the extra bigger add-ons that fit in the SAE case, and I think I was still under $200 after everything was said and done. That was 10+ years ago, and I honestly don't know what the return policy is on them because I don't think I have ever damaged one! Easily one of my top ten "most used" tool purchases. When working on an old vehicle it is so nice to just go to my tool chest and be able to fix, or even just chase and clean up, the threads on a nut or bolt. Buying new ones can nickel and dime you to death between buying the part and driving to the store, when probably 80% of the time they can be reused. It may sound like a lot to get the whole kit, but it definitely pays off over time. Put it on your Christmas/Birthday list if you don't want to spend the money yourself.
1969 Chevy C10 Short Bed
1972 Chevy C10 Long Bed *SOLD*
1996 C3500 Dually *SOLD*

Last edited by 7T2; 06-25-2011 at 02:41 PM.
7T2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 02:58 PM   #93
Dunenutt
Newbee

Best $150 bucks I've ever spent on a tool box. I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of this box.
Attached Images

Dunenutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 04:37 PM   #94
Shane
Account Suspended

that same cart has a coupon out currently that has it for $99
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 10:29 AM   #95
lunati397

The good
12 ton press
blast cabinet
free screw driver sets (coupons) even if they break and they will they were free
engine stands
jack stands
vise grips
solar walkway lights
bug zapper wand thing (awsome when the gaurd is removed)
and lots of little stuff the trick is to go with a hand full of coupons last time i went I spend 280 on 500 worth of stuff

The bad
air tools
sockets
ratchets
I would use thier sockets for getting wheel locks off a car
lunati397 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 01:02 PM   #96
6 Door King

I have purchased alot of tools from HF. When I started out and needed tools they helped me fill my toolbox. I still have many of them and the ones that I have managed to break were my fault for asking more of a tool than should be expected. A pipe placed on my half inch breaker bar ended that one, wet air ruined a grinder and using non-impact sockets on air tools ruined a few light duty sockets. I have many specialty tools that Snap-On and Matco wanted as much as 18 times as much for. I buy from just about any tool brand if it appears good quality and the price is right.
Good=
Impact sockets, all sizes
Vacuum Bleeder
Die Grinder
Angle Grinder
Air Shears (Light use)
Welding magnets
Locking Pliers/Clamps, have about 40 pairs for big panel work
Terminal Pliers (Heavy version)
Pitman Arm Puller
Multimeter
Pry Bars
Tarps (cheap but keep water out for a while)
Rope and Stretch cords
Trailer lights
Pipe Bender
Short wrenches Standard and Metric

The Bad=
Just about every electric tool I have bought
Sawzall
4" grinder
1/2 inch drill
after these died I didn't risk any more money.

Plenty of good tools at HF and you get what you pay for. I used many of these tools on a daily basis for 6-7 years. Everyone has wished they had a shorted wrench to get in that little spot or a different extension to reach that bolt way back there, at least with HF tools you can load up your box with all those once in while tools without breaking the bank.
2004 K1500 Suburban Z71 5.3 Kid Mover
6 Door King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 03:08 AM   #97
pat 70/71

I bought a 4 1/2 grinder lasted maybe five minutes! what do you expect for $25.00 ? My bad & never again. just junk thats it! cheers, Pat
pat 70/71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 02:55 AM   #98
SteelMohawk

They sell a new winch that you can mount on bumpers that is supposed to be very good. But I did read that in an airport from like offroad or peterson's so it could just be a clever add.
SteelMohawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 05:07 PM   #99
RedneckMudder

their long handled wrenchs are awesome, the extendable rachets are the cats pajamas! i like alot of their stuff their $34 hvlp paint gun is awesome i painted the truck in the picture with 1
Attached Images

RedneckMudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 11:57 PM   #100
pat 70/71

bought a 4 1/2" grinder the thing actually worked for ten minutes tops! what a POS! never again. cheers, Pat
pat 70/71 is offline   Reply With Quote