The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-24-2014, 11:42 PM   #1
radar1

Radar's 85 GMC shorty

Hello all. I've been lurking around for some time, trying to gain knowledge for what I had in mind. So after getting educated with what works, and what doesn't, here is my list of parts. Bell Tech 3 inch drop spindles, McGaugys rear flip kit, CalTrac traction bars. That about wraps up the suspension upgrades. I am also in the process of swapping out the engine and transmission. I am replacing the tired 305, with more cubes. 454 of them. pulled the 454 out of a 76 1 ton dully that came in at the salvage yard, about 3 years ago. That's how long I've been waiting for the stars and the planets to come into alignment so I could put this thing together. I was amazed after pulling the valve covers how clean the inside of the engine was. I pulled a spark plug and checked it out with my buddies fiber optic camera. I could still see the .030 in the pistons. They also appeared to be flat tops. I believe that the motor had been recently gone thru, as clean as everything appears. Now there are several firsts on this project for me. Never driven anything with a big block, always seemed to be a small block guy, and never had anything with headers. These are just a couple of things new for me. I cant wait to hear it run. For the motor I chose a Comp Cams XE-268H cam kit, Eldelbrock performer intake manifold, and Hedman Elite headers. The for now is to run the Quadra jet for the carb. And I am going to run this through a 700R4. My rear end in the truck is out of a 91 suburban with 3:42 gears and a gov-lock. Now I know I have several weak links in the set up, trans and rear end, most likely. Especially after I install the CalTracs. Any way got started installing the motor this weekend, so here are some pictures.
Attached Images

radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 11:45 PM   #2
radar1

Re: Radar's 85 GMC shorty

Just a few more pictures.
Attached Images

Old 05-25-2014, 07:48 AM   #3
Mr.Chevy4x4

Very nice. Can't wait to see a running video. I do love a big block!

Edit: I just noticed your small block serpentine swap. Nice! I have the lower pulley you need if you don't already have one.

Mike
Old 05-25-2014, 08:11 PM   #4
radar1

Thanks Mike. I went ahead and bought the spacer for the crank. I had a buddy that has a underdrive pulley, I may try later. So far I've been happy with the serpentine set up during mock up. I will now have to figure out the wiring of the altenator, and A/C compressor. I just started looking for the plug adapter for the altenator. I don't think it is going to be to bad, just need to get after it. I did get a new compressor for the A/C, as well as a new dryer. I have figured that I should be able to use the hose assembly from a 1989 full size Jimmy.
Old 05-25-2014, 09:38 PM   #5
Mr.Chevy4x4

You've got it figured out. You can go to a wrecking yard and get the alternator and compressor plugs from an early '90's truck. Other than that and the K5/Suburban hose, it's a piece of cake. Much better than the old v-belts!
Old 05-29-2014, 07:11 PM   #6
Hankster

I like your plans. I have a 86 c10 that I just swapped a fairly new 454 in. It was a gen v crate motor that wasn't run much at all! I plan on a over-sized cam, better intake and carb, and good exhaust. I plan on lowering a 6 lug swapping the truck with a 14 bolt rear end with 3:73 gears.. Okay enough about my truck, lets see some more of yours!

'86 Chevrolet C10 Custom Deluxe - Gen V 454 - 4l80e - welded 12 bolt
(Build thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=611611 ) SOLD
Hankster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 12:06 AM   #7
radar1

I Wished that I had more to report. This last week has been real busy at work, with it being a short week. On Friday I was able to get the wheels cleaned up and shot with a fresh coat of paint. I also worked on getting a few more items on the motor. I first worked over a throttle linkage bracket off of the 305. I found that it wasn't going to work. It set the cables to far back. I ended up purchasing a after market linkage bracket. I have yet to try it yet, but I think it will work ok. On Saturday I was able to get the new tires mounted, and balanced, so they would be ready. At least it made one stack, instead of two. I also cleaned up and painted the Radiator, and a few other items that needed cleaned up. I got the power steering pump mounted as well. I decided I wanted to bend a one piece line from the fuel pump, to the carb. I am a industrial, commercial electrician by trade so I thought this would be easy. Just like running conduit. Yea right, at least I knew to buy two sections of tubing. I was lucky to make all my mistakes on the first piece of tube. I did get it done though. Will try to post some pictures of my accomplishments. I am hoping that a little work each night and it will all happen. I am kind of bummed though that I wont be able to give it full attention this coming weekend, as we have a short family road trip planned. May be have it running sometime next week. Then I will have to learn how to post videos.
Attached Images

Old 06-15-2014, 12:55 AM   #8
radar1

Well, phase one is complete. I got it running today! Man what excitement. I felt like I was at the Drag Strip, with the open headers and all. I thought it went pretty well though. I worked on it most of the day yesterday, getting most of the little items buttoned up. One of the first hurdles yesterday, was the upper radiator hose. I first decided that one from a 87 Big Block truck would work. It had the proper bends for the new Serpentine set up. What I didn't know at the time was that the radiator that I had decided to use, was out of the truck that we got the motor from, was a 1976. The problem is that the upper hose on the radiators from 73-80 is 1.50 inch. The radiators from 80-87 is 1.25 inch. Solution was to take hose down to the part store, and start going thru the inventory. What I found was a lower hose with nearly the same bends, and its ends was 1.75 inches on one end, and 1.5 inches on the other end. I then got a rubber spacer, adapter for 1.5 inches to 1.75 inches, and there I had it . Note to any others with same project, try to get the later radiator, then you can use the original hose. After the hose quandary, then I had to deal with the wiring. I had Chilton manuals for both, 73-87, and 88-99. I used the wiring diagrams to figure out what I needed and what could go. I was able to get used terminal ends for the alternator, and the A/C compressor. It was kind of confusing at first, I just laid out the wires that I knew went where, and eliminated the ones that didn't belong. It really wasn't bad after I wrapped my thoughts around it. I had to wait till this morning for the rest, the positive battery cable I had was going to be to short, back to the parts store. With the new cable in place, filled the radiator with water, filled with oil, connected the battery, and hit the switch. Turned over real easy, and sneezed a couple of times. My buddy suggested he thought it sounded 180 out of time. Sure enough, he was right. After removing the distributor and rotating the shaft 180 degrees, we tried it again. Man what a different sound it makes when the fire is right. Any way after trying a couple of different carbs we found one that would idle, and work like it should. I topped of all the other fluids, transmission, and power steering, etc. So far I only have driven the truck out of one bay of the shop, and into a different bay. With a little tire squeal of course, this could be the beginning of future trouble by the way, wow I had to be grinning from ear to ear. I am really looking forward to getting it on some open road, with more room. I am calling this the ending of phase 1. Got it running. Tomorrow the beginning of phase 2. Taking care of the altitude problem. Bell Tech spindles, removal of one coil, and a rear axle flip. phase 3, reattach exhaust. Phase 4, reconnect A/C. I am sure there will be more to this later as time and finances allow.
Attached Images

Old 06-16-2014, 11:50 PM   #9
radar1

Well, was up late last night. I've been trying real hard to get things done, so it's finished before our local cruise in on July 3rd. I got half of phase 2 completed. I tried to work on the 2nd half of phase 2, but the front spring bolt has wooped me tonight. I was able to get the u-bolts easily enough, as well as the rear shackle bolt. That front one is in there. I feel that it is probably rust in the steel inner bushing. I just figured I will try again tomorrow. Any way here are some pictures from last night. I would like to thank Leevon for posting about the 15x7 rallies, sometime back. I quickly went out to the local salvage and found a full set. I didn't have to grind anything on the lower arm at all. I even put a weight on a spare wheel, just to see if it would clear the lower arm, and it does.
Attached Images

Old 06-16-2014, 11:56 PM   #10
Hankster

Front looks good slammed like that! your truck reminds me so much of how mine is right now, 454 with the front slammed and waiting to slam the back! Anyways, thanks for the drive to get mine going!

'86 Chevrolet C10 Custom Deluxe - Gen V 454 - 4l80e - welded 12 bolt
(Build thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=611611 ) SOLD
Hankster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 12:49 AM   #11
radar1

Just finished working on finishing up the drop. I still have a few items to finish up. like brake lines, rear shocks, alignment, and the like, but it will have to do for now. It looks like I may not be able to get back to it until Sunday. Just to much to do, and so little time. Any way took a couple of pictures. From the initial measurements that I took, it looks to be 5 inches in the front, and 5 3/4 in the rear. I suppose with some driving it may settle out some more. I also flipped rear springs left for right, in a attempt to eliminate the driver side lean. Before measurements I was 3/4 inches difference between left and right. Right now I am getting a 1/4 inch difference.
Attached Images

Old 06-22-2014, 11:36 PM   #12
radar1

Well today got a lot accomplished. Got the new front brake lines installed. Then we proceeded to get the alignment done. Got the truck off of one lift, then onto another, to tie the exhaust back together. Man, the first time I stepped out of the truck after coming off of the alignment rack, that's when I realized how low it really was. All this week I've been contemplating whether I may have went to far? After driving around some tonight, going to have to figure something different for the front. Seems to scrape more than I thought that I would. May have to raise it back up some. I went with Bell-Tech 3 inch spindles, and then proceeded to remove one ring on the spring 2 inches. All measurements from before I started indicate that I got right at 5 inches drop. I'am going to have to think on it some more. In other problems it seems the transmission isn't working quite as it should. Doesn't seem to be slipping, but doesn't seem like it wants to shift quite right. It shifts through all four gears, but is real slow shifting from 1 to 2, 2, to 3, and 3 to 4. If under heavy throttle seems to shift fine. If under light throttle, I have to speed up, and let up on throttle to get it to shift. I know they're just some bugs I'll have to sort out, just a little at a time. I was able to nock off all the fuzzies of the new Coopers though.
Attached Images

Old 06-26-2014, 10:31 PM   #13
GAc10boy

Looks like great work! Hoping you get the bugs out soon. I think you nailed the stance!

UNITED BY TRUCKS - classic truck video content
YouTube: www.youtube.com/c/unitedbytrucks
Instagram: @united_by_trucks
Paw Paw '68 508 Dark Blue Custom C10
Teddy '68 GMC SWB 503 Light Green LS Build
Mississippi Mud '75 Skyline Blue Patina SBC Build
GAc10boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 07:59 AM   #14
radar1

Thanks for the compliment. I found some different rubber bump stops for the front A-arms, and I only trimmed off about 3/4 inch off of these. So far this has seemed to work. I haven't ground the lower arms since, except pulling into my drive way, which is another story. I am still concerned about the trans not shifting correctly, going to look at it more today. Also plan on getting the body shined up some, for the local cruise night, tonight.
Old 06-27-2014, 01:04 PM   #15
Rich84

Sounds like the TV cable is out of adjustment..What size tires you running?
Rich84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 12:08 AM   #16
radar1

well, I think I have some of the shifting problem sorted out. I revamped the throttle, throttle valve, bracket. Now when I set the cable only a 1/8 to a 1/4 of a inch moves out of the cable. The trans shifts a lot better now. Now if I could only get it to kick down for passing. I will keep reading. I found a website called bowtie overdrives, been reading lots of information that they put out. considering their kit, and a pressure gauge. Any way made it to the cruise night, didn't have a chance to shine up the truck. It's all good though, because it rained for a short bit. Maybe tomorrow I'll get a chance to shine it up some. I am planning on trying to get the A/C charged tomorrow. Just keep checking things off of the "To do list".
Oh I almost forgot, tire size. Fronts are 255/60-15, on 15x7's, Rears are 275/60-15, on 15x8's.
Old 06-28-2014, 11:52 AM   #17
naphtali5725

hey man, what grill do you have on your truck?

Disabled Veteran
82nd Airborne Division
Operations: Desert Shield, Desert Storm, and Uphold Democracy
naphtali5725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 12:16 AM   #18
radar1

I believe it is just a cheap aftermarket replacement grill. I found it at a local swap meet several years ago. You could maybe check the LMC catalog.
In other news, I was able to get the A/C charged up today. Outside temps where in the mid to upper 70's, A/C was blowing mid 40's. I will have to wait for a warmer day to really see how well it does then. Took truck for it's first big road trip, trying to build some trust in the new combination. Total of around 90 miles. I filled up with gas before leaving, and then when I returned. I figured I got right near 14 miles to the gallon. I don't believe that's to bad for a 454. I will keep figuring to see if my numbers stay near the same.
Old 07-28-2014, 10:29 PM   #19
radar1

Well I have still been working at it, I have gotten some items off the list. Factory Tach installed, electric exhaust cut outs installed, old wrinkling window tint scraped off, Tonneau cover installed and also a new front bumper. Just to name a few. I also installed new rubber bump stops on the lower a-arms, without trimming, That seemed to help a lot with the rubbing and scraping. However it was short lived. On Saturday, after leaving the KKOA Leadsled shoe in Salina, We was cruising thru Abilene and I caught the edge of steel reinforced concrete going across the train tracks. Talk about stopping right now. Luckily I was going slowly. I don't think I was going more than 10 mph. It rolled the a-arms under. They are toast. Luckily I know where there are more. I think this time I will trim a little less on the springs. Maybe 1/2 coil this time. Should raise it up around a inch. Hopefully I'll have it back on the road by the weekend.
Attached Images

Old 10-12-2014, 10:28 PM   #20
radar1

I've been real busy at work recently, however I was able to get a set of bel-tech 1 inch drop springs, and able to get them installed. The truck rides a lot better than before. As you can see the coil is shorter, but the spring material is alot thicker. So far Ive had them in the truck about two weeks. I do like the ride better. Its not as boaty feeling, more firm, like a truck again. I also was able to put the front air dam on. It is a 4 inch model that I got at a swap meet many years ago back, and had planned on putting it on the truck long ago before I dropped it. We will see how long it lasts, but I sure like the looks. I was able to run the buffer on it as well, I got the hood polished out to match the rest of the truck. I think it changed the truck from a 30 footer, to a 10 footer at best. Any way here is some shots of what's been going on.
Attached Images

Old 10-13-2014, 08:20 AM   #21
73Super8

Very nice. The buffer did wonders. Stance looks great. Great job.
73Super8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 09:41 AM   #22
Edahall

Quote:
Originally Posted by radar1 View Post
The trans shifts a lot better now. Now if I could only get it to kick down for passing.
You need to adjust the TV cable tighter. Hint: Adjust such that it fully extends at full throttle. This should do the trick to get it to kick down.
-Gear Vendors Overdrive - HX35 Holset Turbo
-NP205 iron transfer case
-3.73 gears -2" Lift
Edahall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 01:02 PM   #23
ridingreiss16

Truck looks awesome! Was just thinking this weekend I want a big block.
ridingreiss16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 10:45 PM   #24
radar1

Thanks for the compliments. I had already adjusted the TV cable some, and have been able to get the transmission to down shift. Now my issue with the trans is that I don't seem to be getting any lockup of the convertor. I have purchased a lockup kit from painless wiring. I am hoping that I can get that installed this next weekend. Also if all works well this Friday night is the last Test n Tune at Heartland park, in Topeka. If all works well I am hoping that I can get a couple passes in the truck. Would like to think I could be in the upper 14's. But realistically probably wont happen. I am going to go out on a limb here and think probably upper 15's. We'll see.
Old 10-19-2014, 10:40 PM   #25
radar1

Well, I got the torque convertor lock up kit installed this weekend. It works pretty good, I will have to do some more reading up on it, I think for my liking it may lock up a little to soon. But I'll look into it more later. It really changed the way the truck drives though. It is a lot quieter in the cab for one. I also got to go to the quarter mile track on Friday night. I was able to make three passes. I am pretty sure there is more in the truck, on the first pass it spun the tires pretty good for a little bit. Then it acted like it was out of gas, and then took off again. It did the same thing on the second pass, so I think I got out of it quite a bit more than the first pass. I finally got to make the third pass, it was about a hour later than the first two. Some one dropped coolant at about half track, and it took nearly 45 mins to clean up. On the third pass I forgot to place truck in third, and left it in over drive. I really didn't catch if it actually shifted into fourth or not, but it was the best run of the night for me. On the time slips my number was 51, so you'll have to ignore the first column. I was hoping for a little better picture on the track, but that's me in the right lane.
Attached Images