The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-30-2018, 10:24 PM   #1
weider1717

I called deaver springs today..

It took 7 attempts throughout the day but I finally got someone to answer at nearly closing time. They do not offer anything under 4" for our trucks, I asked for a 2.5" spring. I'm sure they're a VERY nice spring but the guy I spoke to seemed very short and arrogant. He mentioned he recommends upgrading the front shackle if I go with his springs? I went on to simply ask if I go the 4" route these these are custom how much + or - from 4" is typical with their springs and he did not like that he responded "if you ask for 4" thats what I'm going to give you" but with an attitude.

Passing my expierence along but they may be worth the attitude, lol.
weider1717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 10:48 PM   #2
sweetk30

Re: I called deaver springs today..

if you want custom for our trucks just call offroad design . they have them built to THERE specs NOT the spring makers specs . guys have tryed both on the other site i chat on and notice a difference in the ORD spec built springs .

and ORD will NOT give you crap on the phone .
85-c10sb summer fun toy .
-----------------------------
HOLLEY SNIPER efi = worst case of p.i.t.a i ever had .

EDELBROCK pro flo 4 = best deal going so far . love my setup works great.
sweetk30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 11:03 PM   #3
weider1717

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetk30 View Post
if you want custom for our trucks just call offroad design . they have them built to THERE specs NOT the spring makers specs . guys have tryed both on the other site i chat on and notice a difference in the ORD spec built springs .

I will contact them but I did look into Alcan spring reviews and they have a much lower rating on google review than deavers is why I didn't call them.

Looking more into it maybe with the assistance from ORD a lot of the negative reviews can be avoided seems like they have it cookie cutter figured out with their help.
Old 12-01-2018, 01:11 AM   #4
cdub2010

First time lift kit? Your head is probably spinning from all the reviews, specs, and brands. Pick a tire size you want to run and go from there. Don't get caught up in the hype of 4" 6" more than stock. Your replacing 30 year old sagging springs. when all else fails break out the Sawzall and chop the fenders.

I ran 4" rough country all spring lift with the stock shocks they offer on an '87 Jimmy. Cleared 35 BGF Mud tires with ORD front shackles. drove great a stiffer spring than stock that was firm but did the job.

I had to run a 6" all spring lift from tuff country to clear the same 35's on a '78 Jimmy. Fairly soft spring compared to the rough country.

Both were daily drivers , with hunting fishing trails only. no rock crawling or deep mudding.
cdub2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 01:39 AM   #5
Killer Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by weider1717 View Post
It took 7 attempts throughout the day but I finally got someone to answer at nearly closing time. They do not offer anything under 4" for our trucks, I asked for a 2.5" spring. I'm sure they're a VERY nice spring but the guy I spoke to seemed very short and arrogant. He mentioned he recommends upgrading the front shackle if I go with his springs? I went on to simply ask if I go the 4" route these these are custom how much + or - from 4" is typical with their springs and he did not like that he responded "if you ask for 4" thats what I'm going to give you" but with an attitude.

uhhm yah, everyone is short on patience at miller time on a friday, which is the absolute worst time to call a vendor with a load of questions that all lead away from products they carry..

have to pull up the guys name from my notes, but there's a manager at rough country that talked to me for about 30 minutes going over a ton of info for me.. but I called mid day, mid week where those types of folks have more time to talk and less on their mind about the weekend..

just my $.02.. good luck!
Old 12-01-2018, 10:16 AM   #6
catch2otwo

Quote:

There is no way for him or you to know how much over or under stock height his springs would lift your truck. 4inch is 4 inch, its not like they are some cheapy overseas spring company.

With that said, maybe you caught him after he had to deal with some other annoying guy or 100 other reasons, but thats life, we all have bad days at work.

I've ridden in lifted trucks with deavers and good shocks (king, fox) with quality thought out suspensions that are built with geometry in mind. They rode 1000000x better than your average off the shelf 4-6 inch lift. I had a 3/4 ton 4in off the shelf lift and it rode like garbage compared to these other trucks that had quality parts. I wouldnt be so quick to pass on the deavers, they make a great product.
catch2otwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 09:00 PM   #7
LT7A

There is no excuse for 7 calls to get an answer or smart-ass replies to a customer. Doesn't matter which day of the week or what time it is. It's easy to train someone to say "we're about to close and you have detailed questions. Here's a good time to call. Ask for...." And if the training doesn't work then you change their work assignment. Possibly to an offsite, unsupervised, unpaid search for an as-yet, unidentified employer.

Last edited by LT7A; 12-02-2018 at 03:53 PM.
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 10:10 PM   #8
Killer Bee

no excuse? sure there is, business is business and chat leading to no sale is costly, and can be irritating.. no offense op, but we've only heard your side of the story..

and since I don't believe any of us are in charge of HR at deaver, it's a lot easier and less stressful to have some patience and understand how and possibly why people behave..

maybe the guy has been counseled for spending too much time on phone calls not leading to sales? maybe it's company policy? maybe his first day? maybe the guy was already off the clock or from another dept, just covering phones to get out of there? or his cat died? maybe it was a supervisor or some authority that didn't sense any business taking place and wanted to get to the next seven callers waiting that may need something they do sell.. who knows??

if YOU want something someone else has like springs, information, etc., the onus is on YOU to communicate..

if the guy on the phone called the op trying to sell him something, be a different story..

don't like they way they run their business, take your wallet somewhere else.. maybe they know their place in the market and don't care.. sounds like op was asking for something they may not even make..

or, if they have something the op can use and he can't get the phone assistance he needs, ask to speak to someone else or their supervisor..

but I do know this, of the thousands of calls I've made to parts vendors, which is part of my job, I've learned a few things that make my transactions go a lot smoother than that..

and when a vendor doesn't have something I need, I politely ask if they could suggest someone that may.. and you know what, almost every single vendor has given me at least a company, if not an actual person and phone number to contact..

good luck y'all!
Old 12-01-2018, 11:13 PM   #9
Bloodhound

Quote:
I will contact them but I did look into Alcan spring reviews and they have a much lower rating on google review than deavers is why I didn't call them.
Love my Alcans, you never know with google reviews.
Bloodhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 04:10 PM   #10
LT7A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Bee View Post
no excuse? sure there is, business is business and chat leading to no sale is costly, and can be irritating
Yep, no excuse. Your list of excuses, including a cat, are all based on the particular employee -- who is a representative of the company -- which is responsible for training said employee. Which covers everything in your list if done properly...including the cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Bee View Post
and since I don't believe any of us are in charge of HR at deaver, it's a lot easier and less stressful to have some patience and understand how and possibly why people behave..
Interesting comment. While I agree wholeheartedly with the second part, Deaver, as a company, is responsible for every Deaver employee. The part about HR is odd and irrelevant since a customer's experience has nothing to do with being involved with HR, but is a significant indicator of whether HR is effective or not.

None of this makes their product bad. But it is a definite indicator of how well a business is run. Maybe they're bad at communication and good at what they produce, but one does reflect on the other and the more a business recognizes this and acts on it, the better their prospects. This thread is direct evidence. Clearly some of us are undeterred by poor customer service, but some of us are.

I, for one, appreciate the heads-up and will be in the market for what the OP is looking for, and will know to clearly communicate my expectations if I deal with Deaver.

weider1717, I have no personal experience with them but OME springs have a reputation for riding unexpectedly good. Not sure of their offerings for our trucks or how they fit into your cost picture. Good luck! It'd be great if you could keep us updated. I appreciate the time to tell us about your experience so far.

Last edited by LT7A; 12-02-2018 at 07:29 PM.
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 06:37 PM   #11
nonstop

Sure, there may be a ton of excuses why the employee responded why he did on the phone. But the bottom line is he likely cost Deaver AT LEAST one sale. This is the classic example of one person who tells a friend, who tells a friend...

It can also be spun the other way. Who’s to say the OP wasnt trying to spec out springs for a fleet? I work with a guy who runs a fleet of 64-72 trucks daily, so it is done and not just a “what if”. Customer service has declined and too many people just accept it.
nonstop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 09:42 PM   #12
akart

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetk30 View Post

I bought a 2" lift from ORD and all the stuff to go/w there springs. Super shackles, poly bushings,every thing. I had 52' springs on the back and they sent me 56" springs for the back. They told me to move the back hangers,but they sent me the bolts to do it,what a (PIA),And the front springs rested/rubbed against the frame but they sent me new 1/2" longer front shackles. Not too bad to change out. but I ended up w/a 4" lift which they wore me down into accepting. My 500.00 shocks would have fit a 2" lift but I had to buy new ones to fit a 4" lift. I thought I was getting custom springs, NOT!! They said initially that they knew what I had as they are experts and they do this all the time. Also that they designed those springs back in like "84 or "92 and were not about to redesign something just for me. I just ended up excepting what I got and the extra work. Conclusion; If you order a 2" lift from ORD you will get a 4" lift and 56" springs for the back regardless of the fact that you gave them the specs for 52" rear springs. And I really don't feel like I have improved my ride much,and not 3K worth. I wish I would have gone somewhere else. Hope this helps.
akart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 01:11 PM   #13
sweetk30

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=741608

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=758653

if your going to talk bad better back it up with the facts all listed in these threads from you . we tried to help you and stephen also got in on it . but you just didnt wana play i guess . again sorry you had a bad time but you are about the only one i know of that has had this problem this bad .

Old 12-03-2018, 02:29 PM   #14
andyh1956

Call these boys here & ask for Rusty or Buster. Rusty is the owner & Buster builds the springs.
Buster can take your front stockers & positive arch them w/ an add a leaf & you will be happy.
Rusty's dad was doing work for me almost 40 yrs ago & NEVER had a bad spring from them.
Tell them Andy in Kosciusko told you to call.
http://deepsouthsuspension.com/
andyh1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 11:20 PM   #15
weider1717

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT7A View Post
Yep, no excuse. Your list of excuses, including a cat, are all based on the particular employee -- who is a representative of the company -- which is responsible for training said employee. Which covers everything in your list if done properly...including the cat.

Interesting comment. While I agree wholeheartedly with the second part, Deaver, as a company, is responsible for every Deaver employee. The part about HR is odd and irrelevant since a customer's experience has nothing to do with being involved with HR, but is a significant indicator of whether HR is effective or not.

None of this makes their product bad. But it is a definite indicator of how well a business is run. Maybe they're bad at communication and good at what they produce, but one does reflect on the other and the more a business recognizes this and acts on it, the better their prospects. This thread is direct evidence. Clearly some of us are undeterred by poor customer service, but some of us are.

I, for one, appreciate the heads-up and will be in the market for what the OP is looking for, and will know to clearly communicate my expectations if I deal with Deaver.

weider1717, I have no personal experience with them but OME springs have a reputation for riding unexpectedly good. Not sure of their offerings for our trucks or how they fit into your cost picture. Good luck! It'd be great if you could keep us updated. I appreciate the time to tell us about your experience so far.
I agree 100% and ORD is where you want to go. I spoke to Jesse who was very helpful and knows his stuff! He personally owns a square body with a 4" lift with their alcan springs he took time and was willing to answer any questions and explain all options. A+
Old 12-03-2018, 11:24 PM   #16
weider1717

Quote:
Originally Posted by akart View Post
I bought a 2" lift from ORD and all the stuff to go/w there springs. Super shackles, poly bushings,every thing. I had 52' springs on the back and they sent me 56" springs for the back. They told me to move the back hangers,but they sent me the bolts to do it,what a (PIA),And the front springs rested/rubbed against the frame but they sent me new 1/2" longer front shackles. Not too bad to change out. but I ended up w/a 4" lift which they wore me down into accepting. My 500.00 shocks would have fit a 2" lift but I had to buy new ones to fit a 4" lift. I thought I was getting custom springs, NOT!! They said initially that they knew what I had as they are experts and they do this all the time. Also that they designed those springs back in like "84 or "92 and were not about to redesign something just for me. I just ended up excepting what I got and the extra work. Conclusion; If you order a 2" lift from ORD you will get a 4" lift and 56" springs for the back regardless of the fact that you gave them the specs for 52" rear springs. And I really don't feel like I have improved my ride much,and not 3K worth. I wish I would have gone somewhere else. Hope this helps.
Yikes, hate to hear that I had good thoughts about them after speaking with Jesse but I think custom springs may be too much for me anyway.

They did mention even if I go 2.5" that I would need another rear shackle sounds like thats what you ran into but without warning.
Old 12-04-2018, 12:03 AM   #17
weider1717

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT7A View Post

I agree 100% and ORD is where you want to go. I spoke to Jesse who was very helpful and knows his stuff! He personally owns a square body with a 4" lift with their alcan springs and again was very helpful.
Old 12-04-2018, 06:10 AM   #18
57NAPCO
F’B’D guy

Anyone use these guys ?

https://www.eatondetroitspring.com
57NAPCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 08:16 AM   #19
44th Miss Inf

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyh1956 View Post
Call these boys here & ask for Rusty or Buster. Rusty is the owner & Buster builds the springs.
Buster can take your front stockers & positive arch them w/ an add a leaf & you will be happy.
Rusty's dad was doing work for me almost 40 yrs ago & NEVER had a bad spring from them.
Tell them Andy in Kosciusko told you to call.
http://deepsouthsuspension.com/
I haven't used them since the name change from "Deep South Spring" but my family has used this company for 40 plus years also with excellent results. From autos, to trailers, to Mack and Peterbilt springs, they have done a lot of work for us also.
44th Miss Inf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 12:46 PM   #20
sweetk30

Quote:
Yikes, hate to hear that I had good thoughts about them after speaking with Jesse but I think custom springs may be too much for me anyway.

They did mention even if I go 2.5" that I would need another rear shackle sounds like thats what you ran into but without warning.
for this guys whole story on the problems he had best read the links i posted so you can make a informed choice .