The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-19-2005, 07:11 PM   #1
zeusflash

Suburban Headliner wanted

My 72 3/4 ton 4x4 Sub needs a headliner! Anyone heard of any reproductions being done? If not, any ideas on how to deal with this problem? All I have left of my headliner is the bows!(which I am very thankful for) I also realize that after 30+ years the chances of finding a decent original are slim,but if any are available I am interested.
zeusflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 09:41 PM   #2
TRASHAULER

try these guys, they do incredible work & they're in my home town.

http://www.topshopheadliners.com/

jeff
TRASHAULER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 04:09 AM   #3
4x4Poet

Topshop better be good. They have the most irratating website I have ever seen, complete with bad music, worse sound effects (was that a Star Trek door I heard woosh close?), and a frame setup only a bi-focalled gorilla could love. It must have been designed by Trekkies high on LSD. God help them.
Old 02-20-2005, 10:37 AM   #4
neonlarry

Here are some pics I posted a while back for roddoors. Kind of expensive.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php3?t=119233
neonlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 12:25 PM   #5
zeusflash

Thanks for the info guys! The Roddoors setup is interesting but very expensive, and I am doing an original style interior. I would be very much interested if they could eliminate the open area in the middle. I have a feeling that they were forced to do the headliner that way because of size limitations of their pressing equipment. Also,the cost of this equipment is probably the reason for the high cost of the kit. I also have to agree with 4x4poet...thats one spacey web site! Meanwhile,I am still hoping to come up with something that will work and still hoping for more ideas from the members here. I have found a possible source for material similar to original. If this works out I may buy a piece and do some experimenting. When I come up with something useful I will share the info here. Thanks for the link to the posted pics,Neonlarry, they inspired me to look into some ideas of my own once I was able to see their method of attaching the material to the roof.
Old 02-20-2005, 12:46 PM   #6
7T1BURB

While searching for the exact same thing you are looking for some years ago, I ran into American Classic Truck Parts inTexas..www.americanclassics.com.
On their website catalog, they list 67-72 Chev Suburban replacement headliner panels. I have never ordered or purchased from them and this is not a product or company endorsement....just info for you to research. Prices appear very reasonable but again, I have never ordered anything from them. This is, however, the only place I've ever found that advertises replacement headliners for our burbs...If you (or someone else) orders from them, maybe a "Product Review" could follow. Replacement of Burb headliner panels is something many may want/need to do
I recently saw some 4' x 8' sheets of what appeared to be "plastic" panels at the MAN'S STORE (HD or Lowes) that could be used for replacement non-original panels, but (in your case) would be difficult to cut/fit without the originals to use as templates. If I remember correctly a Board Member (BIG ORANGE) may have used these sheets in the fabulous Burb he did some years ago.
Hope this helps,
7T1BURB
7T1BURB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 06:00 PM   #7
cornutz
All Praise RANDY!!

That link doesnt seem to go to the site that you were mentioning... I also wish that the roddoor headliner kit was cheaper and that the middle area was different. I wonder how it would be to take a complete headliner out of a newer burb and hack, cut, chop, slash, and modify it to fit our style of burbs...this is something that bugs me about the burbs, I dont like the bows and the yucky board that ends up drooping and hanging.

I havent even seen any of the roddoor headliner kits "finished" with material on it and what not, if anyone else has, please post some pics, that would be interesting to see.

NutZ
cornutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 07:53 PM   #8
zeusflash

Use American Classic Truck Parts on your search engine,this will get you there. They offer a headliner conversion kit. This kit changes the headliner to the 70s and earlier car style headliner. This style headliner uses metal bows slipped into pockets in the actual headliner. Drilling involved and installing this type of headliner is a bit of an art requiring,in my opinion,a very experianced interior installer(especially considering the size of a Suburban headliner). I am going to make some inquries at interior shop to see how much this installation will cost. I think if it was installed properly it would look great. It would almost pass for stock since car headliners were done this way in those years.
Old 02-20-2005, 09:53 PM   #9
neonlarry

Here a a couple of other posts on this board asking the same question and some different ideas:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...threadid=68926
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...threadid=91210
Old 02-20-2005, 11:32 PM   #10
oldiron
Designated Grumpy Old Man

I had a local upholstry shop do mine about 5 year ago. I think it was aroung $150.00.
Attached Images

oldiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 10:27 AM   #11
Super 71

try this one there are no pics but the price isn't that bad www.karonline.com
Super 71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 12:03 AM   #12
daves71k5

burb headliner

zeusflash;
I have an original headliner set that has unfortunatlly got a few rips and tears in it but I was going to use for either some templates or cut the panels like Big Orange did out of the FRP board (fiberglass reinforced panels) and try to sell them. The Frp doesn't look quite original but looked very sweet in his pics, wish I had the pics to show ya.
Anyway If you want some of them made or just want some templates made let me know and I will see what I can do.
I can also get my hands on another pair of headliner bows if anyone needs them.
In am here in Idaho too so maybe we could meet somewhere in between to swap parts or ideas, let me know.
thanks Dave (davemt36@hotmail.com)
daves71k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 12:21 AM   #13
sub4rvr

<< I can also get my hands on another pair of headliner bows if anyone needs them. >>

If zeusflash doesn't need them, I may be interested. How much do you want for them?
67 Mustang (2)
69 Torino GT
00 Mustang GT Conv.
sub4rvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 10:14 PM   #14
zeusflash

Hi Dave,
Thanks for the assistance! I may take you up on the offer of a set of templates. This would make the job of making replacements a lot easier. Also,let me know what the bows are going to cost, I have three bows but one of them has a broken plastic cover and is missing the end caps. If the price is reasonable I will buy them.
I can see putting together a quick summary of my adventures to replace my missing headliner coming up. I can hopefully repay everyone for their help by supplying a bit of how-to(with pics)to the next people attempting this daunting project. I don't know when this will happen ads I am just in the planning stages and I am going to be in the middle of a move to a new house(with a HUGE shop) beginning in about two weeks! I will keep you all posted. Thanks again for all your help! this board is the best!
Old 02-22-2005, 11:04 PM   #15
bagged91
Out draggin'

I haven't had a chance to measure yet to see if it's wide enough but... My dad has a 78' F@RD E100 "Custom"(van) hibernating. It has a full legnth "cardboard" headliner in it that is white with black dots on it. The dot's aren't actually perferated through like the burb headliners(it's printed on) but it may be a suitable replacement in a pinch if you want an OEM look. If you found one of the loaded "Chateau" LWB vans, it may have enough headliner to do a burb...
72 C10 Burb (ex. Cheesewagon)SOLD
72 C20 Burb parts truck
71 C10 Burb "project"
bagged91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 05:58 PM   #16
John Fabris
TOTY 2006

How many bows are needed for the suburban headliner?
Old 02-23-2005, 07:18 PM   #17
neonlarry

Should be three.
Old 02-23-2005, 10:01 PM   #18
Smokie55

Wow mine has 4. but one was custom made and doesn't match the others. I think they split the front panel at one time to gain access to the wiring and hardware for the lightbar (my sub was a ambulance in NM). I guess when I replace this sucker, I won't need to try and find that elussive 4th bar.

thanks for the info.
1972 K5 blazer "Rusty" - 400/TH350/NP205 - Yeah it's big alright!!
- Founding Member of Southern Bowties Club -
Smokie55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 01:23 AM   #19
fde2blk

i have 1 7/8 sets of bows will sell just ends covers or clips i also have a full 4 piece headliner i will make templates 4 u, can draw to scale and e-mail for enlargement by blueprint mechine
fde2blk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 08:11 PM   #20
zeusflash

I am interested in getting a replacement cover and clips for my one damaged bow. Let me know what you want for one cover and two ends or if possible I would be interested in buying one complete bow assembly. Also I am very much interested in your template idea. Let me know what you want to do.
Old 08-14-2005, 09:51 PM   #21
cheyenne10

spotted one in my garage

I was in my garage today and spotted the stock headliner panels from a 72 I parted several years ago (forgot I had it). They are stored ontop of another vehicle. Might take some getting to get them down. Wouldn't have kept if not good. I am not interested in shipping. anyone can email me if interested to work out a deal. should have most of a set of bows too. Would like to sell all together.

cheyennek20@comcast.net
Old 08-15-2005, 07:01 PM   #22
fde2blk

e-me @ nyeriwood@aol.com to setup templates and bows
fde2blk is offline   Reply With Quote