The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-27-2009, 03:23 PM   #1
Baby John

First Ever Build Thread

OK fellas, we've got a pretty good start tearing the old girl apart, so I think I'll start a build thread with a few pictures. Probably gonna need some support along the way and figuring this'll take quite a while to complete so here goes....just a few basic pics.
Attached Images

Baby John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 03:25 PM   #2
Baby John

Re: First Ever Build Thread

A few more
Attached Images

Old 10-27-2009, 03:31 PM   #3
Baby John

Couple more
Attached Images

Old 10-28-2009, 01:00 AM   #4
VA72C10
VA72C10

Looks good...you keeping it a GMC?
Old 10-28-2009, 02:25 AM   #5
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

That's a nice truck to be starting with! That's almost like cheating on a test
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 10:15 AM   #6
Baby John

Thanks. Yes we're keeping it a GMC. This is my son's truck that I bought him a year or so ago with intentions of a father son fixerupper. Soon after I bought it I was shipped to Georgia to work on a construction project. Now I'm home and the overwhelming guilt from being gone for so long has turned this fixerupper into a frame off resto/mod. He wants black paint with black and red interior. We're going to pull the cab this weekend and try to make a cab dolly to take with us to the body shop. My painter has decided he doesn't want to do the final coat because black paint is so hard to spray without getting trash in the paint. He's going to do all the body work and prime everything and then paint the adjoining pieces so we can re-assemble and then we can take it to a better paint shop for the finish coat. He's 14 and he has 3 spread sheets made in Microsoft Excel. One for LMC, one for Brothers, and one for H&H. This is his Christmas list. I've explained to him that this is probably a 2 yr process but hopefully by the time he's of driving age it'll be ready to go. He attends a private school where all his buddies are driving Mercedes and BMWs and he's going to be driving a really cool 72 GMC Stepside. I'm digging it.

Last edited by Baby John; 10-28-2009 at 10:16 AM.
Old 10-28-2009, 01:51 PM   #7
Baby John

I think I just developed somewhat of a plan. Since my paint guy isn't going to spray the whole truck in black, and since we're going to be tinkering on the old truck for quite a while before we're finished, I think I'm going to focus on the interior of the truck first. That will let me narrow his Christmas Wish list down to just interior items. My painter is going to paint the inside, and behind the cab and the front of the bed...all the parts that can't be painted when assembled so with the inside painted, we can install new carpet, headliner, visors, and other interior stuff.

We're going to have the engine and tranny pulled out of the truck to clean up and paint so i won't have to worry about scratching new paint when we go back with the engine, and I will be able to take my time with frame restoration and engine work. Yeah, I'm liking that plan.
Old 10-28-2009, 02:00 PM   #8
brossow
Amateur Rust Fighter

Be sure to consider that there's a lot of paintable surfaces on the inside before you start permanently installing too much stuff. If you're taking the time to do a frame-off, I really think you'll want the cab bare and empty when it goes for exterior paint. Nothing wrong with accumulating the parts, but I fear you won't be happy with the incomplete coverage you'll get outside if you are masking off everything inside. Just my $0.02....

'72 Chevy SWB stepside - [ Build Thread ]
'79 ChevMC SWB fleetside - [ Build Thread ]
'64 Chevy SWB fleetside & '66 Chevy SWB stepside (waiting in the wings...)
brossow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 03:13 PM   #9
Baby John

Quote:
Originally Posted by brossow View Post
Be sure to consider that there's a lot of paintable surfaces on the inside before you start permanently installing too much stuff. If you're taking the time to do a frame-off, I really think you'll want the cab bare and empty when it goes for exterior paint. Nothing wrong with accumulating the parts, but I fear you won't be happy with the incomplete coverage you'll get outside if you are masking off everything inside. Just my $0.02....

The inside is one of the things that my paint guy is going to go ahead and paint. Most of the inside will get covered with carpet, dash, door panels, seats and kick panels so we're going to go ahead and paint that. This way we can go ahead and buy those pieces and get them installed while we finish the motor.

He's also going to paint the bottom of the hood, firewall and inner fender wells, behind the cab and front of the bed. Basically any adjoining surfaces or otherwise concealed after assembly. But..thanks for the tips.
Old 10-28-2009, 03:20 PM   #10
brossow
Amateur Rust Fighter

It'll probably work out just fine. I'm just thinking about the greater potential for paint separation where things are masked off -- door jams, etc. Me personally, I wouldn't be interested in putting the interior in just to have to carefully mask it all off again for later painting, considering how relatively quickly an interior can be installed in these trucks. Seems like any time you'd save by installing the stuff now will be squandered when you have to tape it all off later and paint around it, not to mention the extra labor and hassle. But that's just me -- as I said, it'll probably turn out just fine.

'72 Chevy SWB stepside - [ Build Thread ]
'79 ChevMC SWB fleetside - [ Build Thread ]
'64 Chevy SWB fleetside & '66 Chevy SWB stepside (waiting in the wings...)
brossow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 10:39 AM   #11
Baby John

Couple updated pictures of the frame painted and the engine cleaned up and painted. Remember fellas when critiquing these pictures that my son and I are just a couple good ol' boys who are just "fixing up an old truck". We won't ever be able to get things perfect. Not enough skill or cash to do that. Anyway here's a couple pics.
Attached Images

My son and I are resto-rodding a '72 GMC Stepside
Old 03-08-2010, 10:41 AM   #12
Baby John

We're not nearly finished with the engine. We just stuck it back together to get a feel for how it was gonna look. The sheet metal is all fixed and primed and we'll probably set the cab back on the frame fairly soon. Need to find some new body mounts and also looking for a set of ram horn manifolds and about a million other things.

Old 03-08-2010, 11:50 AM   #13
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
That will make a nice truck. You guys are doing a great job. I would recommend rubber body mounts, they are more expensive but the poly's are too hard and transfer a lot of road vibration to the cab. Check craigslist.org for the rams horn manifolds, you would be surprised how many of them there are around. If you want the 2 1/2" corvette style ones I think they are being reproduced.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 01:54 PM   #14
tubbedII
needs more $$$

I really like the paint scheme on the motor! The black manifold gives off a really tough effect. Is it just a satin black?
Old 03-08-2010, 02:18 PM   #15
tim21391

so whats the plans for it once its done?
2013 Mustang V6/6speed w/300 ponies
I may be 23, but i sure do knows 67-72s are sexy!
Its not MPG its smiles per gallon!
build started 11/25/08
build thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=2993796
tim21391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 02:29 PM   #16
Leviticus
Shake and Bake!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby John View Post
Couple updated pictures of the frame painted and the engine cleaned up and painted. Remember fellas when critiquing these pictures that my son and I are just a couple good ol' boys who are just "fixing up an old truck". We won't ever be able to get things perfect. Not enough skill or cash to do that. Anyway here's a couple pics.

Hey, it looks great to me, Nice Work. And as far as "Perfect" goes, no one has a perfect truck on here...although there is probably a few who will say they do

And you will find that most of us are just Good Ol Boys playin with our trucks as well.

Keep up the good work, and keep the pics coming!

"You are remembered for the rules you break."
General Douglas MacArthur

"Support Our Troops And The NRA"
Leviticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 02:42 PM   #17
leddzepp

Looks fantastic so far! I would go with rubber cab/core support mounts as Lockdoc suggested. You can get a full set from www.truckandcarshop.com for $60. I just bought a set last week myself.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 02:47 PM   #18
Baby John

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubbedII View Post
I really like the paint scheme on the motor! The black manifold gives off a really tough effect. Is it just a satin black?

It's just 500 degree engine enamel. It is an aluminum intake so the texture of the manifold does sort of give it the look of a wrinkle finish. The rocker arm covers are also aluminum and we tried to clean them up but they were just too dirty, so we sprayed the paint on. After we painted them solid black I masked them off again and then sanded away the tape at the raised lettering and fins. Then shot the red on and then stripped off the masking. I thought that was a pretty neat trick.

As far as plans for the truck, it's gonna be black and red. Black paint with possibly the top and hood painted red. We've already bought new red carpet and a red dash pad, and some other chrome pieces such as door handles, inside and out, and window handles and vent window handles. Gonna recover the bench seat in black and red.

No mechanical mods cause the motor is a reman motor and it runs really good. Don't really need any power. I would however like to drop it down just a little. Maybe 2/4.

I've gotten discouraged a time or two but I started this thread in Oct of '09 so I think I'm making pretty good headway.

Old 03-09-2010, 04:03 PM   #19
Baby John

Oh, by the way, the old beat up air breather is not what I intend to use. It was just the only thing I had to put over the carb to keep trash out.

Old 03-31-2011, 05:12 PM   #20
Baby John

Worth an update I guess...but I finally scraped up the money to get the truck painted. Not sure if I updated when we finished the body work but yeah...we took all the panels to the body shop and had all the holes from speakers, and rusted fenders and floor boards and all that fixed and bondod and primed. Been ready for paint for a year or longer. Anyway...taking it to the shop tonight.