The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network







Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2017, 04:11 PM   #1
Ramiro0727
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Porterville, CA
Posts: 84
72 front crossmember

We have a 72 front crossmember with disk brakes. We want to swap out the 69 front crossmember with drum brakes. What is easier to change it out. The whole crossmember or the A arms and other stuff and bolt them to the existing crossmember.

Thanks,
Ramiro
Attached Images
 
Ramiro0727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 05:24 PM   #2
LockDoc
The Original Thread Killer

 
LockDoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Montezuma, Iowa
Posts: 16,957
Re: 72 front crossmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramiro0727 View Post
We have a 72 front crossmember with disk brakes. We want to swap out the 69 front crossmember with drum brakes. What is easier to change it out. The whole crossmember or the A arms and other stuff and bolt them to the existing crossmember.

Thanks,
Ramiro

Depends if the engine is in it or not. If no engine I always swap the whole thing....
LockDoc
__________________
Leon

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 05:33 PM   #3
Ramiro0727
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Porterville, CA
Posts: 84
Re: 72 front crossmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
Depends if the engine is in it or not. If no engine I always swap the whole thing....
LockDoc
LockDoc the engine will be out of it.
Ramiro0727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 05:35 PM   #4
LockDoc
The Original Thread Killer

 
LockDoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Montezuma, Iowa
Posts: 16,957
Re: 72 front crossmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramiro0727 View Post
LockDoc the engine will be out of it.
It will be a direct bolt in.

LockDoc
__________________
Leon

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 08:39 PM   #5
Ramiro0727
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Porterville, CA
Posts: 84
Re: 72 front crossmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
It will be a direct bolt in.

LockDoc
Thanks LockDoc
Ramiro0727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 01:41 PM   #6
kwmech
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Colfax-California
Posts: 4,787
Re: 72 front crossmember

As stated a direct bolt in, but I find 99% of the time the whole thing needs to come apart anyways to be rebuilt. Easier for me to handle a lower control arm than a 300 lb + frame section and wrestle it in to line up the holes
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 08:58 PM   #7
Ramiro0727
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Porterville, CA
Posts: 84
Re: 72 front crossmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwmech View Post
As stated a direct bolt in, but I find 99% of the time the whole thing needs to come apart anyways to be rebuilt. Easier for me to handle a lower control arm than a 300 lb + frame section and wrestle it in to line up the holes
Kwmech you have a good point. my son is planning on replacing all the bushings on the A arms and lower control arms. Maybe thatís the route he should do.

Ramiro
Ramiro0727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 1997-2013 67-72chevytrucks.com