The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-28-2015, 11:56 PM   #1
Ghernandez66

Anybody running Boyd welding fuel tank? Preferably with electric fuel pump.

Any pictures of set up ?

I'm having trouble figuring out how to mount the fuel tank and where to mount the electric fuel pump since the draw line it's at the bottom of the tank and all pumps I seen require to be gravity feed.

(The reason I'm not using mechanical fuel pump is because I'm using a vortec block with no way to install pump)

Thanks in advance.
Ghernandez66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 09:53 PM   #2
PGSigns

Re: Anybody running Boyd welding fuel tank? Preferably with electric fuel pump.

I made a bracket that mounts to the cross member just in front of the tank. Pump mounts low on the bracket and about even with the bottom of the tank. Been working fine about 18000 miles.
Jimmy
1966 BBW long fleet Daily driver
1965 BBW short fleet Sold and going to a good home
1965 Suburban
2003 3500 Duramax
2005 Ultra Classic
PGSigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 01:03 PM   #3
siggyfreud

I have one installed on my 66, though it's not up and running yet. I went with the internal electric fuel pump, so my install will be slightly different, but I think you could use a setup like mine.

I have mine mounted towards the back of the frame:

I welded square nuts with big flat washers to the frame, and then drilled through the mounting flanges on the tank and threaded bolts through them into the nuts on the frame. This was so I could drop the tank when needed, without having to somehow get a wrench inside the frame to hold the nuts.

In this photo you can see the feed line going into an in-line filter, however you could instead place a pump/filter combo in this spot, and feed off of where my return line is going (in the bottom) to get some gravity assist for feeding. If you did this you'd likely want to place it further back, as close to the tank as possible, as pumps generally work better as pushers than pullers.

You could run the return line back to the top of the tank, where my feed comes from.

Hope this helps .
siggyfreud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 01:56 AM   #4
Ghernandez66

Thanks I think I got my problem almost solved I took the block off plate from the engine block and seems like the hole for the pump pushrod actually goes all the way into the cam so all I need to figure out is if the cam has the lobe for the pump with out removing it..
Old 12-31-2015, 01:58 AM   #5
Ghernandez66

Quote:
Originally Posted by siggyfreud View Post
I have one installed on my 66, though it's not up and running yet. I went with the internal electric fuel pump, so my install will be slightly different, but I think you could use a setup like mine.

I welded square nuts with big flat washers to the frame, and then drilled through the mounting flanges on the tank and threaded bolts through them into the nuts on the frame. This was so I could drop the tank when needed, without having to somehow get a wrench inside the frame to hold the nuts.

In this photo you can see the feed line going into an in-line filter, however you could instead place a pump/filter combo in this spot, and feed off of where my return line is going (in the bottom) to get some gravity assist for feeding. If you did this you'd likely want to place it further back, as close to the tank as possible, as pumps generally work better as pushers than pullers.

You could run the return line back to the top of the tank, where my feed comes from.

Hope this helps .
Nice setup man..
Old 12-31-2015, 01:09 PM   #6
Clyde65
1965 Chevy C10, 2005 4.8L/4l60

I also have the Boyds tank and External pump. Mine is mounted almost the exact spot where Siggy has his only on the drivers side. as long as the pump is below the feed on the tank, your good to go.

Rebuild of Clyde
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post8338184

69 Aristocrat Lo Liner build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post7561684

support our troops!
Clyde65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 12:30 PM   #7
SierraMtns

Man very nice setup.

Do you have any pictures on how you built the internal pump? Or the parts you used?

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by siggyfreud View Post

Hope this helps .
SierraMtns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 12:42 PM   #8
Ghernandez66

Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraMtns View Post
Man very nice setup.

Do you have any pictures on how you built the internal pump? Or the parts you used?

Thanks
I Belive You can purchase the tank with the pump already in it from boyd or azpro performance
Old 11-03-2016, 02:39 PM   #9
SierraMtns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghernandez66 View Post
I Belive You can purchase the tank with the pump already in it from boyd or azpro performance
Yes you can but for $349 + shipping I am trying to build one cheaper.

Here is the pump they use for $114. I have the tank with the plate already so I think I can build it. I would love to build one with an OEM pump in case it ever dies on me I can get a new one from NAPA.

http://www.jegs.com/p/Aeromotive/Aer...98076/10002/-1
SierraMtns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 03:51 PM   #10
Ghernandez66

Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraMtns View Post
Yes you can but for $349 + shipping I am trying to build one cheaper.

Here is the pump they use for $114. I have the tank with the plate already so I think I can build it. I would love to build one with an OEM pump in case it ever dies on me I can get a new one from NAPA.

http://www.jegs.com/p/Aeromotive/Aer...98076/10002/-1
You might just have to fabricate an adapter or contact them they might have one already
Old 11-10-2017, 12:03 AM   #11
Jkmyers84

Any updates on one with a factory pump?
Jkmyers84 is offline   Reply With Quote