The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-20-2016, 09:57 PM   #1
Ewr101

Wish me Luck!

Going to install a new carpet kit from Stock Interiors tomorrow. The kit looks and feels great! But before that I have to shim the bushings before and after the passenger door to open it up a bit. Not looking forward to that but they were all just replaced a month ago so at least I don't have to fight old, tacked bolts and rust. Still not looking forward to it though. Then pan hard bar bushings, carpet and sometime this week rear side panels....maybe. I need a big ass fan for the garage, it's still pretty brutal here in South East Texas.
Old 09-21-2016, 09:34 AM   #2
lks dcvn

Re: Wish me Luck!

Good luck! Take some before and after pictures. Also curious to know how the Stock Interiors carpet fits/looks.
lks dcvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 07:51 PM   #3
Ewr101

Slow going for me on these two projects. Replacing the carpet is a lot more involved than I had anticipated. The carpet is pretty nice. I'm very happy with the material and how it feels. From a 1 to a 10, I give it a 10. The pattern used to cut it out is very close to perfect. Score that as a 9. It's sold as molded to the floorboards and it is....kinda. Some of the humps to accommodate for the low tunnel are off just enough to frustrate you. And there are some waves where it should lie flat. As much as I didn't won't to, the only remedy was spray adhesive. Due to those issues I give fit and finish a 6, maybe a 7. Transferring all the bolt hole for everything was a real chore. That's what I spent the most time on. The old carpet just had big holes cut out and the finished look was awful so I couldn't use it to mark the bolt holes. Anyway, hopefully tomorrow it'll be all finished cause this heat is pretty bad. Well over 100 degrees in the garage even with 2 fans on high. Needless to say I'm feeling the effects and it's drawing out the time. Hadn't even looked at the pan hard bar bushings and on a sad note, I found some rot by both kick panels on the floorboards where the weather stripping attaches and underneath the door sill plates. Ugh, more body work in the future but to hell with it, I'm gonna be driving in style till I can get it fixed and repainted.

I did get the passenger door shimmed so it opens and closes with minimal effort. The wife will be very happy. She couldn't budge it before but now she should have no problem. I thought that would be the hardest part of the two but it was pretty easy. If anyone has any questions about the carpet, I'll do my best to answer. Sorry, don't know why pics are sideways, they're fine on my iPad. Thanks for looking!
Attached Images

Old 09-22-2016, 07:52 PM   #4
Ewr101

The rest...
Attached Images

Old 09-23-2016, 06:00 PM   #5
Ewr101

All done thank God. The heat was kicking my ass! Looks pretty good. The sun was pretty bright in the last pic. New floor mats all around and I can check that off the list.
Attached Images

Old 09-23-2016, 06:17 PM   #6
TheKorndog

Hey mang! I checked out some carpet kits for my beast after reading your post. Did you line your floor boards with anything before laying down the carpet? What about be mass vinyl whatever you call it stuff?
Stroked L31 & serpentine belt system (97 C1500 donor); K case 4L60e; Fitech GoEFI 4; In Tank retrofitted fuel pump tnk-pa-6; Fitech GoShift controller; 12 bolt Yukon gear posi 3.73 rear diff; NP205; Redhead steering gear; JB Custom Fab NP205 twin sticks
TheKorndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 06:59 PM   #7
Ewr101

The whole tub of mine was sprayed with bedliner before I bought it. I did pony up for the mass backing figuring it'd last longer and feel better. We'll see how it does... the "hot zones on the floorboards had the matte material and the mass backing while the rest just had the mass backing. I did use some spray adhesive to help the carpet lay flatter. That helped a lot. I think the mass backing makes it a little harder to work with but its a trade off for durability hopefully.
Old 09-23-2016, 07:16 PM   #8
TheKorndog

I think it looks great!I am trying to think if I should line the "passenger" section with a liner like Herculiner or Rustoleum. As I noted before, I checked out Stock Interiors and they seem pretty reasonable on their kits. I have to determine if I am going to stick with the original color, too. My dash and such is all original and in pretty good condition (Dark Olive), so why change it? Are your side panels missing from the passenger/cargo area too? That liner may be just the ticket without having to pony up some bucks to find those-
-K
Stroked L31 & serpentine belt system (97 C1500 donor); K case 4L60e; Fitech GoEFI 4; In Tank retrofitted fuel pump tnk-pa-6; Fitech GoShift controller; 12 bolt Yukon gear posi 3.73 rear diff; NP205; Redhead steering gear; JB Custom Fab NP205 twin sticks
TheKorndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 07:24 PM   #9
Ewr101

Mine didn't have the rear side panels. I do plan on making a set though. My truck is gonna go the resto-mod direction. I want it to look fairly stock with modern power, handling and conveniences. I'm probably going about it backwards, doing all the less expensive stuff first. My wife says I should have saved for a motor but it's too much fun to drive like it is. Which ain't too shabby for a 45 year old motor!
Old 09-23-2016, 08:48 PM   #10
JWPOORE

Which style of carpet is this, plush, loop, etc? Looks great.
JWPOORE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 10:48 PM   #11
Blazerowner

Rock auto has a good deal on the carpet for our blazers. I'm pretty sure I paid less than what stock interiors offers.
Blazerowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 11:21 PM   #12
Ewr101

I got the Plush Cut in black with the mass backing. It's pretty thick and very soft. I actually used my house vacuum to clean it after I got it laid out in the truck. Even had the directional lines from the vacuum like new house carpet does.