The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-13-2018, 11:25 AM   #2451
BAM55

Re: What did you do with your truck today, Part 3

I’m starting to think the key is to leave the clocks set an hour early. Then I can live like my grandfather always told “There’s no such thing as too early there’s only late and on time”. Those guys from the World War II era built different
BAM55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 12:37 PM   #2452
MARTINSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAM55 View Post
I’m starting to think the key is to leave the clocks set an hour early. Then I can live like my grandfather always told “There’s no such thing as too early there’s only late and on time”. Those guys from the World War II era built different
Yep Bam, we have it damn easy, that's for sure.

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 12:27 AM   #2453
MARTINSR

I primed it this morning, got out there tonight and unmasked it, and coated the inside of the front floor braces with cavity wax.

I then got a piece of WWI Military "Trench art" I sold on ebay boxed up and put in the mail, right on, more money for the truck!

Brian

Old 12-15-2018, 04:37 AM   #2454
MiraclePieCo

It's undeniable, my head is toast. It's still leaking despite everything I've done. Too bad, the truck is virtually done and now I have to tear the engine apart again. This is almost depressing enough to make me just unload the truck cheap. Believe me, I've considered it.
Old 12-15-2018, 11:13 AM   #2455
Volfandt

Don't get too discouraged. Good news is SBC heads are plentiful and in the big scheme of things not too hard to R&R. You're looking at a weekend job.
Volfandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 11:29 AM   #2456
oldman3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiraclePieCo View Post
This is almost depressing enough to make me just unload the truck cheap. Believe me, I've considered it.
Get that thought out of your mind. Yes it will be alot to tear down. Cost of new parts etc. But I'm sure once it's said and done, you will be happy you held on to this beauty...Jim
oldman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 12:41 PM   #2457
nvrdone

man, I know that feeling well. there have been many times ive felt like dumping my truck, but then I get the problem fixed and get to drive it and the smiles come back big time. its happened a lot over the 45 years ive had the truck.
DONT DO IT !!!
nvrdone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 01:07 PM   #2458
vintovka

Walk away, have a beer, play with the the dog and get back on it. Saves a lifetime of "I shouda done it"

When the going gets tough around here the tough go to the beach. I have to go to the beach a lot.
vintovka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 02:02 PM   #2459
MARTINSR

Quote:
It's undeniable, my head is toast. It's still leaking despite everything I've done. Too bad, the truck is virtually done and now I have to tear the engine apart again. This is almost depressing enough to make me just unload the truck cheap. Believe me, I've considered it.
Damn that sucks, take a step back, pulling it apart is just another little project, it sucks but you can do it in a flash.

Brian

Old 12-15-2018, 02:02 PM   #2460
MARTINSR

Yesterday I got the cab back to position after having it on it's back for weeks getting the underside of the floor primed. I have been mulling over in my head how I was going to do this, did I need to get the engine hoist out I thought, do have have to get more help? So I went to plan it out and wham bam I had it done by myself without so much as a grunt! I couldn't believe it, a team of Navy Seals couldn't have done it easier. And I move onto the next step.

Brian
Attached Images

Old 12-15-2018, 08:20 PM   #2461
MARTINSR

My five minutes this beautiful Saturday was stripping apart the few parts that I may actually use, the spindles and hubs, from the passenger car front end I was planning on using.

There was a lot of rust, took a BUNCH of work to get these few parts off, I am calling it a day. Got all the parts I am not using on Craigslist, hope they go bye-bye.

Brian
Attached Images

Old 12-15-2018, 11:35 PM   #2462
evilokc

Quote:
every single one of us has considered that at some point. some of us many times! in the end you will find your calm and get it right. its worth it. you got this many.
evilokc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 11:37 PM   #2463
evilokc

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
Yesterday I got the cab back to position after having it on it's back for weeks getting the underside of the floor primed. I have been mulling over in my head how I was going to do this, did I need to get the engine hoist out I thought, do have have to get more help? So I went to plan it out and wham bam I had it done by myself without so much as a grunt! I couldn't believe it, a team of Navy Seals couldn't have done it easier. And I move onto the next step.

Brian

cabs looking sharp man. really sharp. well done.
Old 12-15-2018, 11:43 PM   #2464
evilokc

I did a couple of truck related things today. I sold the remains of my $50 parts truck. although I had the truck longer than I planned I came out way ahead. I kept $400- $450 worth of parts, sold a few parts for a total of $600, and the truck itself for $500. the guy who bought the truck only wants it for the frame which is in good condition. this evening I took the truck out for an hour drive around town. did some town and some highway. so great to be behind the wheel of the death rattle running 75mph down the highways. good times guys.
Old 12-16-2018, 12:59 AM   #2465
vintovka

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilokc View Post
every single one of us has considered that at some point. some of us many times! in the end you will find your calm and get it right. its worth it. you got this many.
S-- t happens to all of us. Today what i thought was a starter change out turned into a flywheel (flexplate) problem requiring the romaval of my newly rebuilt and installed 700r4. I was told by original "restorer" that it was was fine. Why the tranny shop said it was fine as well escapes me . So here we go again, another pile of $ and another 140 mi,e round trip.

Would go to beach but the 50+ MPH winds and 30' surf say uh - no.
Old 12-16-2018, 01:16 AM   #2466
Dyslexic Dog

I've disassembled everything and now it is time to start putting it back together. Maybe I'll figure out how to post pics by the time I'm done. Anyway, starting to mount the Mustang II suspension into the frame. I have a loooonnnngg way to go to get this all done. Anyone ever count the hours to do this?
Dyslexic Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 06:35 PM   #2467
MiraclePieCo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyslexic Dog View Post
Anyone ever count the hours to do this?
I had an estimated 4000 hours into my first pickup build, but it was show quality.

For attaching photos, click "Go Advanced" then "Manage Attachments" A box will open with several "Browse" buttons. Click one and it will ask you what files you want to attach. Find your photo and click on it.
Old 12-16-2018, 06:44 PM   #2468
MiraclePieCo

I wanted to accomplish something positive before I start disassembling my engine again so I began my rear barn door window installation. I installed the rubber seal around the glass, cut it to length and taped it into position. Then I applied a little heat to help the rubber relax into shape. I'll let it sit a day or two to take a set, then glue the ends together. I'm pretty sure installation in the window frames won't be as easy as YouTube videos make it appear:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvcJ_lU_VpQ
Attached Images

Old 12-16-2018, 07:23 PM   #2469
MARTINSR

Right on! Check out the tools I made to install them. https://www.hotrodders.com/forum/win...ls-360386.html

Brian

Old 12-16-2018, 07:26 PM   #2470
MARTINSR

We are having a family Christmas cookie day, we are making a LOT of cookies with some in-laws and it is fun as hell.

I did get out to the truck this morning by digging the axle out of the shed so I can remove the spindles and get it dropped.

That is of course unless one of you have a dropped axle you want to get rid of.

Brian
Attached Images

Old 12-16-2018, 09:14 PM   #2471
evilokc

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintovka View Post
S-- t happens to all of us. Today what i thought was a starter change out turned into a flywheel (flexplate) problem requiring the romaval of my newly rebuilt and installed 700r4. I was told by original "restorer" that it was was fine. Why the tranny shop said it was fine as well escapes me . So here we go again, another pile of $ and another 140 mi,e round trip.

Would go to beach but the 50+ MPH winds and 30' surf say uh - no.
that totally sucks. you get it handled?
Old 12-16-2018, 10:09 PM   #2472
evilokc

tried to install the hood. didn't go well. the new hood I got has a defect. the threaded insert that the hinge hooks to is missing. I pulled the hood back off and did a slight adjustment to the fast idle. took it for a 50 mile highway trip instead. it was great. it was dark and quiet. the motor was rumbling and all was right with the world. stopped to get gas and had a guy tell me I had a cool "time machine". the death rattle gets attention where ever we go.
Old 12-16-2018, 10:34 PM   #2473
MiraclePieCo

Quote:
tried to install the hood. didn't go well. the new hood I got has a defect. the threaded insert that the hinge hooks to is missing. I pulled the hood back off and did a slight adjustment to the fast idle. took it for a 50 mile highway trip instead. it was great. it was dark and quiet. the motor was rumbling and all was right with the world. stopped to get gas and had a guy tell me I had a cool "time machine". the death rattle gets attention where ever we go.
What threaded insert - where is it located? You've been hoodless for a long time!
Old 12-16-2018, 10:37 PM   #2474
MARTINSR

I remember getting a brand new OEM hood for a car, forget the brand that was missing a nut like that. The paint shop painted it, car was to be delivered that day, I go to put the hood on and wham, no nut! As I remember I figured a way out of the problem by making nut out of a half inch or so square piece of flat stock. Drilled and tapped a hole in it. Then drilled a couple of 1/4" holes next to the hole where the nut goes. I held it up in place from behind using a magnet on a wire tool I have. When it was in place, I put a bolt in it, tightened it into place. I then did a quick plug weld with the MIG on those two holes I drilled. I had someone spraying the outside with water so the paint wouldn't get burnt. The paint was cleaned up right around the welds and a little spot job applied.

Done deal, delivered on time.

Brian

Old 12-16-2018, 11:15 PM   #2475
vintovka

Quote:
that totally sucks. you get it handled?
Not yet. Will call the tranny shop this week. They have been cooperative and so far and fixed the output seal, and then the pan leak. The transfer case leak now needs attention and will ask why the damaged flexplate wasn't noticed. It starts on 2 -3 tries with a new starter. Very annoying. Still storming so can't walk the beach. I would not recommend restoration of this sort unless you can do ALL the work yourself or are independently wealthy. The incompetent, drug addled, fools that call themselves mechanics today are a danger to us all.