The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-24-2016, 06:28 PM   #1
chopit

Bench seat choices

I'm getting close to biting the bullet on paint and presently have all the metal in the floor for original bench seat. But now I am thinking to do away with original as in my last couple of trucks I felt crowded and uncomfortable.

I know I wont gain a lot of room but shape and thickness of seat I would think should help also?

So I have to decide on whether to cut and prep for a different bench seat.

Gas tank is now under bed.

What are the different choices you guys have used and results as far as fit (width etc.) , looks and comfort? Pics welcome
chopit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 06:33 PM   #2
MARTINSR

Re: Bench seat choices

Damn I wish I could get one of the stock bench seats that are being removed from these trucks across the country. I am looking for the stock one.

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 06:40 PM   #3
chopit

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
Damn I wish I could get one of the stock bench seats that are being removed from these trucks across the country. I am looking for the stock one.

Brian
Haha...well I have one...

You know I am not commited to the change yet or sure how much difference it will make, hence this thread.

It might even help just to take my wallet out out of my back pocket lol. I have lower back problems and just want to enjoy driving it when its done....

Last edited by chopit; 01-24-2016 at 06:46 PM.
Old 01-25-2016, 12:12 AM   #4
iowaboynca

The popular choices are astro van 2/3rd rows, Durango second row, escalade 3rd row....etc. and of course orginal.

It all depends what you can find in the yard vs. how much to repurpose the orginal.

I went with the astro van bench as it had a fold down center console w/cupholders and bolt in seat belts for the center section and mine would require a full restoration.
Old 01-25-2016, 02:15 PM   #5
chopit

Thanks! was kinda thinking 2/3 row options might be good sizing.

Did you gain some room/comfort with your choice?
Old 01-25-2016, 05:44 PM   #6
iowaboynca

I've only got seat time during mock up. (I'm not done yet).
It does seem like i'm going to get a little room as it has a thinner back and no gas tank. Just sitting in the bench while its in my garage, it does feel comfy...

But it's not in the truck quite yet.
Old 01-25-2016, 06:27 PM   #7
47 Fasttoys

Many are using the late 80s to mid 90s Silverado seat. The fit is spot on leaving about 1 inch clearance on both sides. The only issue is which style cover is on the donor seat. The heavy pleated style (pictured) does not lend itself well to being recovered as the foam is glued to the cover. Mine is a 60/40 split, some are using the standard 1 piece low pleat style with good results. I have had mine in for 25K + miles and still like it. This subject has been covered many times so a search will bring up a lot of options. I'm 6'2" and 200lbs. and I did gain a few inches of needed leg room.
Rob
Old 01-25-2016, 06:51 PM   #8
chopit

yeah I can visually see the difference in room on thatstyle 47. thanks.

I did a couple searches and found a couple of threads but wasn't finding the direct feedback I was looking for....
Old 01-27-2016, 10:38 PM   #9
fisherman420

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47 Fasttoys View Post
Many are using the late 80s to mid 90s Silverado seat. The fit is spot on leaving about 1 inch clearance on both sides. The only issue is which style cover is on the donor seat. The heavy pleated style (pictured) does not lend itself well to being recovered as the foam is glued to the cover. Mine is a 60/40 split, some are using the standard 1 piece low pleat style with good results. I have had mine in for 25K + miles and still like it. This subject has been covered many times so a search will bring up a lot of options. I'm 6'2" and 200lbs. and I did gain a few inches of needed leg room.
Rob
SO from what I understand the larger pleats are difficult to recover but the seats with smaller ones can be recovered without peeling a bunch of foam up with the fabric?
fisherman420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 10:07 AM   #10
nvrdone

ive got a 3rd row seat out of an astro van & its much better that the stock seat. I'm 6'2 -250# and it fits me well. gained about 1.5" of leg room. removing the tank doesn't gain any leg room - just a great area for speakers or storage
nvrdone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 09:09 PM   #11
47 Fasttoys

You are correct, pictured is the larger and thicker pleats.
Rob
Old 01-28-2016, 10:02 PM   #12
IndyBowtie

Hey Brian...
I shipped a stock seat clear across the country by Greyhound bus. Think it was $90-100 bucks.
And BTW...I used a 60/40 out of a 89 Chevy truck...love it! Found some material at a local fabric store that comes real close to matching the color and made door panels to match the seat.
Attached Images

Last edited by IndyBowtie; 01-28-2016 at 10:10 PM.
IndyBowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 10:16 PM   #13
chopit

I was looking at some pictures online...do the Astro all have the dual arm rests? like the idea of the center console but not sure I like the armrests.
Old 01-28-2016, 11:26 PM   #14
Team24

Picked up an early 90's split bench seat for my 55 2nd but when placed it in the cab it appears to fit the space available but because of the design the drivers seat does not line up with the steering column and I felt it would bother me.

So then I picked up a 2nd row seat out of an later model Astro Van. It is around 55 inches wide leather with a flip down drink tray and arm rests on both sides of drivers and passenger side. I also has moveable seat rails to move the seat forward and rearward. Some of the other 2nd and 3rd row seats are fixed in just one place. I have the cab crossed braced for a roof replacement so I have not been able to put it in the cab for a test fit, but it looks like it will work.

But after I saw fisherman420 post I might change my mind. I had never thought of reversing the wider passenger seat of the 90's pickup seat. Which would not make the offset of the steering column so evident.
Attached Images

Team24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 08:51 PM   #15
Daze57

nice seats!
Daze57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 06:42 PM   #16
72Mountaineer

What year are those Astro van seats from? Thats just what I'm looking for.
72Mountaineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 07:47 PM   #17
Team24

I was back at the salvage yesterday and checked the year of the Astro van that I got the seat from. 1t was a 1997 with leather interior. I also took the seat belts for the third row seat which was already missing from the rear end damage. Was working on fitting the seat to the cab, trying to use the Astro van seat brackets which I am cutting down to fit. Will weld bracket to the bottom of the Astro van bracket then bolt them down to floor.

Don't understand why when I post both with my lap top or my I phone the photos always show up at 90 degrees but they are orientated proper when I upload them.
Attached Images

Team24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 08:58 PM   #18
Boom

Chopit, if you do cut out the stock seat brackets/surround I know someone who would love a chance to buy it from you....
Boom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 01:02 AM   #19
R&B51

I saw a build off this site that used seats I liked especially since belts integrated.
Really good looking 10 way (2005) GMC Yukon Denali leather power seats with integrated seat belts shown. Pics of seat look great (I don't know how to load here) and detail on mounting in
www.1952chevytruck.com
Is an overseas build but I liked.
R&B51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 09:45 AM   #20
72Mountaineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by R&B51 View Post
I saw a build off this site that used seats I liked especially since belts integrated.
Really good looking 10 way (2005) GMC Yukon Denali leather power seats with integrated seat belts shown. Pics of seat look great (I don't know how to load here) and detail on mounting in
www.1952chevytruck.com
Is an overseas build but I liked.
These seats are great, but were installed on a flat floor, which would be a lot of work in our trucks.
72Mountaineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 10:11 AM   #21
R&B51

Boom, I had just cut it all out to flatten and strengthen floor-had to cut out and replace some rust near A post anyway. Your guy could have base if wants it and can come by Tulsa/Jenks to get it. Can have seat, frame as well if he's going stock-my legs are too long.
I like the Astro van plan as well, having driven and vacationed in minivans for the last 30 years, I have found 2nd, 3rd row seats often not as comfortable for more than an hour. Anybody driven on these Van, SUV back row seats a long way?
You're right 72Mountaineer, created extra work but it's too late for me, I'm committed.
R&B51 is offline   Reply With Quote