The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-07-2019, 12:26 AM   #1
Darthintel

1954 Chev 3100 Wiring Woes

I recently purchased a 1954 Chev 3100 truck and started working on the wiring problems. I had no parking lights, no left blinker, and right blinker flashed the right front parking light, and left rear light - wow.

First off I worked on the parking lights. Turned out the previous owner painted under the parking light housing insulating the ground. After fixing this, I noticed the left front parking light was wired to the bright filament. Swapped wires.
Now with both front parking lights working, I then swapped the rear blinker wires. Finally parking lights and blinkers working.
Additional wiring problems that need to be replaced and provided pictures below.

I noted the horn is not working. I took a ground jumper wire to the relay and it switched - power is connected to the relay and applying ground switches the relay. When I depress the horn button, nothing. I found the wire exiting the steering column just under the dash and it has a wire attached to it. I checked the wire, and it has a constant 12V! Now, the wiring diagram shows this wire to be switched to ground when the horn button is depressed. Mine is connected to a constant 12V! I cut the wire disconnecting the 12V. I'm thinking the contact in the steering column is burnt as the wire was connected to 12V, and depressing the horn button shorted it to ground.
I still can't believe this.
I love to do wiring, and will be tearing out all wiring and replacing it.

I also will be using relays and running grounds to everything.
Attached Images

Darthintel is offline   Reply With Quote