The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-26-2009, 07:01 PM   #1
Ghostwhite
Squarebody guy

My little long bed 62

This is my little intro and my truck build. I've asking a few questions lately so I figured I can aske them here with some pics to go with. I recently picked up a 1962 long bed c10 235 4 spd. I spent the first 4 years of my adult life in the army serving as a Cavalry Scout at Fort Hood, TX. I am currently working at the family business waiting to go to college. My plan is to get this truck in good driving condition and then lay it out! Stick with the I-6 till I get ahold of a decent V8.

more pictures to come later!! (and those pesky questions)

Erick

Last edited by Frizzle Fry; 06-26-2009 at 11:25 PM. Reason: Fixed image placement
Ghostwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 08:00 PM   #2
jason65
Registerd User

Re: My little long bed 62

Sounds like a good plan. Good luck.
jason65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 09:04 PM   #3
jonzcustomshop
1961 crewcab

looks neat,!
looks like the two front wheels are still the originals, I thought it was a peach color until I saw the firewall and jambs... you should take a buffer after it, it would look good red again

just noticed! I kinda like the upside down bumper too.

Last edited by jonzcustomshop; 06-26-2009 at 09:06 PM.
jonzcustomshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 10:01 PM   #4
Ghostwhite
Squarebody guy

yeah. I'm gonna keep the paint as is for awhile. it actually looks like it was brushed on

heres some more random fotos

idk whats goin on in the rear suspension but its coming out for bags eventually. anyone got any ideas of what is going on in here?

the right side spring over the axle is hanging loosely from some wire
Old 06-26-2009, 10:31 PM   #5
GruntMoanCough

Hi Ghostwhite!
That oughta keep you out of trouble for a while.......
Old 06-27-2009, 12:07 AM   #6
collins10672

the springs that fit over the shocks are aftermarket overload coils(not factory).i have had several 64-66 trucks and i once had one that had the exact same springs over the shocks and i can tell you that with a very heavy load it still sat level.it keeps the truck from squatting when alot of weight is put into the truck.most people would probably just ditch them.have fun and good luck on your project.
collins10672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 12:18 AM   #7
jonzcustomshop
1961 crewcab

looks like they were hauling more than 1/2 ton stuff!
I have the helper springs that are mounted on the axle tube too.in front of that you can see the helper bag that they put inside the coil spring.
they were probably wishing they had purchased a 3/4 ton gmc instead.

Last edited by jonzcustomshop; 06-27-2009 at 12:18 AM.
Old 06-27-2009, 12:55 AM   #8
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Looks like a decent truck to work with. It has typical rust issues, but nothing that I see that can't be fixed.

And thanks for your service
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 08:50 AM   #9
Ghostwhite
Squarebody guy

I figured as much with the helper coils, I just havent seen any around. I've been chasing some clutch and brake issues to get this thing driving.

So far I got the brakes working barely, the left rear isnt getting any fluid or is clogged up bad, couldnt get anything out of the bleeder. I'm gonna start by doing some good servicing on the rear drums. The front will be getting updated to something I can more easily work with when I bag it. I'm thinking of going to disks at the same time.

The clutch has got me kinda puzzled. The push rod-side arm of the clutch linkage is badly stripped and I havent found a replacement rod I can order. I may just have to weld it solid. The funny part Is the clutch must be worn as hell because it works with the pedal 3 inches off the floor at fully engaged and to the floor is fully disengaged. Kinda hard to actuate a short clutch lol.

The other problem I have with the clutch is the pedal itself. I can only push the clutch in about 3/4 of the way before the spring slams it to the floor. Right around 3/4 down is a point where the spring will either pull it up to normal or pull it to the floor. Very frustrating!
Old 06-29-2009, 03:13 PM   #10
jonzcustomshop
1961 crewcab

It is a hydraulic clutch, some of the issues might be why the truck came with the bottle of brake fluid under the hood
you have a dual resivor master cylinder, and one side is the clutch , I am not sure on these, but the clutch and brakes might be tied together in that master cylinder, if one is low the other suffers...
Old 06-29-2009, 03:28 PM   #11
Ghostwhite
Squarebody guy

Haha no the brake fluid is mine, and yeah I already had the dual master out to rebuild the brake side. I would've thought being as the brake and clutch are one assembly that the rebuild kit would cover both.... well they have to be ordered seperately and the clutch kit wont be in till tomorrow.

Someone else mentioned that the pedal springing to the floor is common if disconnected from the mc.

But all this is irrelevant. I am having major title difficulties!!! Being a newbie and not knowing what to look for in a title I have discovered that the guy I bought it from didnt have the title transfered into his name, and the guy he bought it from didnt get it transfered into his name either. so.... i gotta get ahold of the guy whose name is on the title (230 miles away) and hopefully he is nice enough to get a duplicate title (to eliminate previous buyers name)sign a bill of sale for me. I sure hope I dont lose my truck!!! I do have a bill of sale from the guy I bought it from so I'm halfway covered but I wanna keep it regardless....

Last edited by Ghostwhite; 06-29-2009 at 03:30 PM.
Old 06-29-2009, 04:41 PM   #12
MacAttack
283 Drama Queen

Love the pics - especially the glued and screwed on patch panel.

Mac.
Old 06-29-2009, 05:03 PM   #13
jonzcustomshop
1961 crewcab

One thin that my dad does that used to drive me nuts, was not touch/spend any money until the title was in hand, Iunderstand it alot more now, I almost had my modelT completely done, and had to jump through some hoops to get it titled..
One time we bought a 54 olds that had been customized in the 60's, and had it a week only to have the original owner come out of the woodwork and say he still wanted it(I don't think he gave a crap about it until he hound out someone wanted it) all we were out on that was dashed plans , and the labor to remove a couple garbage bags of trash out of it.the guy that sold it to us gave us our money back.
Another that we bought was a 69 corvette, we were assured that it had a title, then when we finally got it 6 months later, it turned out to be a salvage title
Old 06-29-2009, 06:56 PM   #14
Ghostwhite
Squarebody guy

yeah... thats what worries me! I have the title, I just cant use this one to transfer it into my name because the buyers block on the paper is filled in with some random guys name.
Old 06-30-2009, 11:48 PM   #15
Ghostwhite
Squarebody guy

Well I got the title straightened out today finally!!! phew!! Had to drive 550 miles round trip! Now back to our regularly scheduled repairs, updates, and pesky questions!!
Old 07-01-2009, 12:46 AM   #16
monolith
Zero Albedo

Awesome! Glad you got the title straightened out.

Can't wait to see what you do with the truck.

"Deserve's got nothin' to do with it."

66 GMC 1500 wideside longbed 250 4spd "Project Rekker"http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=467467
65 GMC 1Ton Panelhttp://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...32#post4794432
65 Chevy Panel (former U.S.Navy truck)
64 Chevy Suburban Carryall 4x4http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=358348
64 GMC 1000 wideside longbed 305 4spdhttp://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=3600890(Rip- parts truck now)
68 Dodge Charger
monolith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 07:43 PM   #17
Ghostwhite
Squarebody guy

Ok heres a question or two for you guys.

I got the lights sorta working. with the brake depressed the left lights up like normal but right only comes on dimly. with the lights on the left is normal but the right goes from park lights to completely out. oh and the headlights quit working last night. the turn signal switch is hanging under the dash all busted up at the moment. part on order.... any ideas besides the usual "check for shorts and stripped wires"

I figured out I gotta get my clutch linkage welded for sure. new clutch on order so that'll be nice.

found a crack in my carb to manifold spacer and with all the driving lately the front left cab support brace is collapsing.

took the pesky helper springs in the rear out and it actually rides a little better.

drivers side door handle and handle mechanism stripped out yesterday so a vice grip is doing handle duty.

new wheel cylinders and shoes to go on when they arrive along with new speedo cable and various other parts. 600$ bill from lmc so far with just minor necessary stuff.

Any pic requests?

Last edited by Ghostwhite; 07-03-2009 at 07:47 PM.
Old 07-03-2009, 08:20 PM   #18
aerotruk63
Check The Champ, Demonstrator

Well Light issues are usually ground issues. Check all the ground straps. Check all the connectors. Rust and corrosion will give you ground problems. My 62 headlight switch had to be cleaned inside. took it apart and cleaned it up and that worked. In behind the fuse box there's wires that cross over each other to power up different things. On my 62 one of the terminal connectors corroded-shorted-and melted the wire it was passing over so no current could get through. A wiring diagram like the one in a shop manual would help to distinguish what goes where and what powers what.You can get shop manuals on CD I"ve heard.

YouTube Channel with 20+ Original Chevrolet Truck Salesmen, Mechanics & Service Department Training Slideshows.
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...otruk63&page=1
aerotruk63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 10:32 PM   #19
Ghostwhite
Squarebody guy

Well I ordered the 60-66 shop manual and the 62 supplement so i'll have to cross reference some of the wiring. I think some of it has to do with the signal switch being pretty messed up. The PO seemed to have done some modifications too. I'll figure it out one way or another and keep you posted.
Old 07-03-2009, 11:09 PM   #20
protrash64
Resistance is Futile

I think Aero is on it. Check all the connectors to see if they are tite and grounded. I always sand 'em clean. I would wait until you get that signal switch to see what else is going on. I changed mine and it cured a lot of strange issues. Can you say JB Weld???
Attached Images

STRENGTH/DETERMINATION/MERCILESS/FOREVER
.......posted via stationary device
protrash64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 12:08 AM   #21
ruffrida2005
Member of the longbed union.

Protrash you need to tuck that wiring up.

Welcome to the site. What unit were you in? I'm here at Hood, been here for 6 1/2 years now. If your having so much problems with your harness and it doesn't look too good. It's probably better for you to just get a new harness. You can get a good 14 fuse for couple hundred.

88 GMC Crew Cab dually, 454/T400

64 LWB 400 HP 350/350T Bagged, under construction! Sold most of it!

92 S10 Iron Duke 5 speed, 5/7 drop for now. soon to be bagged. Sold http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...59#post4637759
ruffrida2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 12:16 AM   #22
72BlckButy
Tot Roddin'

Great looking '62, good luck with the project!

1969 CST SWB - Project Blank Slate (4.5/6" ECE Static Drop, 6-lug disc brake upgrade (manual), Billet Specialties Vintec 20x8.5 255/40 (F) 20x10 295/40 (R), 250 I-6)
1960 AMF Skylark - Tot Roddin' (Lowered with custom frame; soon to include custom push bar and interior)
2008 Silverado CrewCab 1LT (5.3L, 3:73, 4x4, LT1, Z-71, Towing Package)
72BlckButy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 12:33 AM   #23
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

I would be willing to bet money that the source of most of your issues are in the busted up turnsignal switch.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE

Last edited by Captainfab; 07-04-2009 at 12:34 AM.
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 09:44 AM   #24
MacAttack
283 Drama Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffrida2005 View Post
Protrash you need to tuck that wiring up.
Looks like mine after my rig got towed back from the evidence yard - except all those wires were cut, for no apparently coherent reason.

Old 07-14-2009, 02:20 PM   #25
Ghostwhite
Squarebody guy

ruffrida I was in hhc 1-8 cav 2nd brigade 1st cav for 4 years.

Well I got some parts in and have been working on the truck a little. I've figured out that my tail lights not working isnt the blinker switch so I'm guessing its the under the dash wiring. Been reading through the manual a little and getting a better idea of how everything is built and I must say it must be me cause the wiring diagrams dont help me out much...

I found a donor for my clutch pedal that will solve some problems and I looked around and all the clutch return springs for hydraulic clutches are much different than mine.

I found my carb spacer to be leaking from a crack all the way through on one side and havent been able to find any kind of replacement new or used. any suggestions?

I'm gonna have new exhaust from the manifold back and am debating on where to have it exit... I wanna keep it in front of the rear axle for clearance purposes when I lower it in the future. Opinions welcome!!