The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-27-2017, 07:47 PM   #1
briank

Pic needed for th350 kickdown and edelbrock carb

Anybody have a picture of an original th350 kickdown cable attached to a edelbrock carb? My new ride has this setup on top of an edelbrock intake and the kickdown has been fiddled with ...I think they removed some of the sheathing which allows the cable to slack up upon returning into the rest of the sheathing near the rear of the inake. I'd like to replace the cable if its not too hard but the end of the cable is slotted (original)but the edelbrock has a ball to hook the cable onto which is not correct. The cable needs to be tightened down I believe.
briank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 07:54 PM   #2
AussieinNC

Re: Pic needed for th350 kickdown and edelbrock carb

What Edelbrock carb is it?

Kickdown (aka TV ) cables should have some slack at idle, with detent action matched to WOT....

In English old Aussie...

If you pull on the TV cable, you will feel some slight resistance for about 2 inches, then a little more resistance when it detents over and compresses the kickdown shuttle valve in the trans...you want the maximum travel point on the tv cable to match the WOT (Wide Open Throttle ) position on the carb...

Also, on a 350, you must have a good vacuum signal at the modulator...absolutely critical...dont use ported vacuum from carb port, use manifold vacuum source...

Hope this helps
AussieinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 07:55 PM   #3
briank

Its an 1806
Old 06-27-2017, 08:01 PM   #4
AussieinNC

Check this link from Jegs...the pin conversion kit is cheap...you may need the correct bracket as well...its on same page...

Hope this helps

http://www.jegs.com/p/Edelbrock/Edel...53856/10002/-1
Old 06-27-2017, 08:03 PM   #5
briank

Ok thanks, so I am correct that is gets tightened down at the carb as opposed to the ball that allowed the end to slide.
Old 06-27-2017, 08:24 PM   #6
AussieinNC

The very end of the cable slips over the pin on the throttle plate on the carb...it should be able to pivot easily, but not fall off...hence the little cotter pin in the Jegs kit to retain the cable end...the cable sheath should have a square plastic push style fitting that connects through the bracket....

check the image on this link...it shows the cable end...https://www.summitracing.com/parts/p..._XYaAnXR8P8HAQ

THis sounds like someone may have put an after market kickdown cable on this...suggest you go back to basics with the bracket kit and anew cable...They are not hard to replace...
Old 06-27-2017, 10:04 PM   #7
toolboxchev

Give me a few. I too ran into unseen things when installing a 1406 manual choke unit. Take a look at the pics. I pulled some very unconventional things and additional needs that I thought unnecessary.

My application is a 1970, Edelbrock called for a new transmission kick down adapter which then required a new trans kickdown cable???? That totaled another 200 bucks on top of the Carburetor purchase. My truck was actually produced in late 69 so it had a 69 model kick down cable as far as I could tell.

Here is how I solved that dilemma.

First Pic: I used the floating pin from the quadrajet originally on the vehicle

Second Pic: Purchased inexpensive Edelbrock adapter for Dodge which ties the whole unit together. I had to cut it down grind the end where the spring attaches. It was like 9 bucks.

Third Pic: Cut down a bushing to utilize the stock metal accelerator linkage with a washer and pin form my old quadrajet.

Fourth, simply tied in the manual choke with an inexpensive cable kit available at most autoparts stores. Let me know if you would like to do it this way, I can find the Edelbrock part numbers for ya!

I did also have to use their carb to manifold adapter, but this ended up being a better deal all the way around. Have not had an issue with it even with the plug wires in close proximity.
Attached Images

Last edited by toolboxchev; 06-27-2017 at 10:53 PM. Reason: update with pics
toolboxchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 10:47 PM   #8
57larry

you really don't need the kick down hooked up on a turbo 350 tranny
57larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 09:04 AM   #9
briank

Thanks for all your replies. Ill try to tackle this on the weekend.