The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-20-2018, 01:14 AM   #1
cpavelko

Steering issues with Shackle Flip

Hello,
Had a question about steering with anyone who have completed a rear shackle flip on a 1st gen 4x4. I have a 70 Blazer with a 35" Tires, stock 12 Bolt, DIY4X Shackle Flip and 56" Springs. Currently have a single set of old rancho shocks in the back.

When driving the truck, I have an issue with the steering where when trying to turn it has a delay reaction of steering and when trying to correct, I would tend to over steer 1 second later and have to correct a couple times. Not the most pleasant to drive around twisty roads.

A couple things to note with questions:
- With the Shackle Flip and 56" Springs, it pushes the bottom of the shackle back further, thus creating a stiffer rate. Possible Issue?
- Assuming the shocks may not be as stiff as they used to be, I was thinking of swapping them for a good set of Bilsteins. Would the shocks create this steering issue?
- Thought about sourcing one of the later model rear sway bars for the rear to help stabilize this but wasn't sure if this made sense with the shackle flip?

Any help would be appreciated.
cpavelko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 12:08 PM   #2
b454rat

Re: Steering issues with Shackle Flip

Shackle flip should zero affect on steering. All ur doing is raising the end of the spring. Also with weight on the truck the angle should be kicked back a bit, this allows the spring to move while flexing.
b454rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 04:09 PM   #3
cpavelko

When I did the flip, the rear had dual shocks originally and I removed to single shocks. I'm guessing this may have contributed to the steering issue due to the body roll. Maybe they aren't strong enough.
cpavelko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 06:50 PM   #4
jeffahart

Not the shackle flip. Here's what I would do, take off the steering damper then drive it. See how it handles. You can better evaluate with the damper off. When I evaluate steering problems the damper is the first thing I take off and the last thing I put back on. Also check the frame for cracks around the gearbox, they crack there. Most likely a combination of: Ball joints, steering gear, body bushings, suspension bushings and so on. Each component contributes to poor handling. I can't tell you how many people yank on their ball joints and deem them "Aye Okay"! I think the 35" tires and all the shocks are a tell tale sign... some thrashing was done. No biggie, you just need to replace some parts. Start with the ball joints! Your problem sounds like something is binding then letting loose.

Most likely a worn part. But pics are good, maybe someone here can spot something that is misassembled.

j
Old 02-21-2018, 05:59 PM   #5
dozerbill72

I am running a a shackle flip on mine and it drives great. I would take a hard look at everything in the front end. Look at every thing already mentioned plus the u-joints in the axle shafts, if one is seized up it can make the steering little twitchy as well.
dozerbill72 is offline   Reply With Quote