The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-28-2002, 01:41 PM   #1
72sleeper
[]D [] []v[] []D

lowering ?'s

if i was to loer my stock height 72 1/2 ton 2 wheel drive 3 inches in the front and five in the back would i have toget more than lowerng springs and shocks??? what if i lowered it 2/4 wouldi have to get more???
72sleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2002, 01:56 PM   #2
JHickson6
I Love This Stuff!

Talking Lowering Solutions

You can lower the front of you truck with drop springs and shock but if you have a sway bar on the front it will no longer line up. You need to buy special brackets for the sway bar mounting. Classic Performance Products sells them for $19 a pair. In the rear, lowering the truck more than 3 inches puts the shocks at a bad angle with little compression possible. You many need to buy a shock relocator kit, $60 at Classics Performance. 4 inch or more rear drops require a C- notch Kit to be bolted on to the frame. $150 at Classic Performance or if you are a good welder or know one they might be able to make one for you.

Good Luck

Let me know how it goes

JHickson6
JHickson6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2002, 02:18 PM   #3
Low69CST

For 3 inches in the front you need Front springs and spindles. You can get 3 inch drop springs but its highly not recommended. I have the front of mine dropped roughly 3 inches and am still using a stock swaybar. You could probably roll on your stock shocks up front for a while, but it'd be best to invest in some higher pressure drop shocks soon. For just 2 inches in the front a set of spindles would be best or you co uld go with 2 inch springs. If you go with spindles then you won't have to change shocks at all. If you go with springs you should change shocks.

For 5 inches in the back of coarse you'll have to get springs. You may scoot by without a c-notch, i've seen it done before. You'd probably need the shock relocator and definately a new extended panhard rod. For 4 inches you could get springs, I'm 95% positive you'd never need a c-notch, the stock shock mounts would probably be ok (though you need drop shocks for either 5 or 4 inch drops), and you could probably use a adjustable stock replacement panhard rod, instead of the extended one I talked about before.

The 4 inch drop is kind of borderline I think of how much mods you need to do to make it RIGHT. My truck is gonna be dropped about 4 inches and I spared no expense. I have all the changed shock brackets, extended panhard rods, and all the other goodies these guys make up for excuses to take our money.

Early Classic Enterprises (www.earlyclassic.com) is where I got all my stuff from. They were very helpful. They weren't the cheapest place, but they were competitive and their parts, to me, are constucted better, fit better and the best appearance of any I have found.
Quad Suspension and Dual Tanks
Low69CST is offline   Reply With Quote