The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Closed Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 08:54 AM   #26
SCOTI

Re: Dropmember Competition ?? Have you guys seen this yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by edflores View Post
.....i have no idea what was going through jasons head when he made this. i dont think he meant it as a knock off but as a new product. for all we know, it may be a little better then the og dropmemer. im not him so i cant speak for him.
jason(sd) may have lost some of you guys as a market however he made a great business move by coming out with this product. he has more loyal customers than porterbuilt. it like comparing walmart to the local corner store. jason sells tons more product than many other air suspension supply places. he is a business trying to come out with another version of a product. competition is good. maybe this will inspire new products for our trucks.
im not bashing porterbuilt in any way and im still buying from nate when i get started on my project. id rather go with someone that know c10's like the back of his hand rather than knowing s10's. i doubt the sd front will be priced well anyways.
Replicating something that's relatively new is not the same as creating new products. Nate created a 'new' product, SD did what they did..... The rear kit is different & new. The front, not so much.

If SD was interested in bringing "inspirational" new products to more people than Nate can reach, they most likely could have sold the ORIGINAL Dropmember to their customers. I guess once they knew how it was done, it became cheaper for them to make it in-house.

Your own words liken SD's approach to WalMart. We all know how popular WM is to most of us now as they put our favorite mom & pop joints out of business because they can't compete against the larger companies buying power. Hhmmm..... the Tesla vs. Edison comparison.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.

Last edited by SCOTI; 08-07-2008 at 09:12 AM.
Old 08-07-2008, 09:32 AM   #27
GMBowtie79
Surviving, one day at a time!

RCA did it with the Television, The Japanese do it with just about everything. it's cheaper to let someone else do all the work and then steal there idea. it's alot more profitable if you dont have to do the R&D. Unfortunatly we live in a world that is driven by money not honor!
Old 08-07-2008, 09:53 AM   #28
cornutz
All Praise RANDY!!

just my .02 but imitation is the most sincere form of showing someone how *****ing their product is. (this isnt Jr by the way...) It sucks to know that someone is going to be dipping into your profits but that is the American way. This is only going to benefit the people that buy these things. (no matter what it is that is being produced...) I am sure that as people argue about this, there is a possible third or even fourth party that wants to put their own version of this out. I mean really, how many people sell and market different brands of drop spindles or tubular control arms. I have seen the Porterbuilt kit in person, I know it was a bolt in kit, but Jr welded it in....it is a way cool piece and engineered well. In a consumer based market the consumer will win in this... I am pretty sure that Nate will survive... Hell, if I was Josh Perry, I would be pissed that his drop member doesnt have the "PB" cut into it...oh wait, his doesnt have this??? Does that make it better or worse??? Is it worth more or less...??? AHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!
Old 08-07-2008, 10:14 AM   #29
SCOTI

Cutting into his "profits" means less opportunity to develop stuff like the Dropmember. I mean, even the people put out of business by Wal-Mart benefit from them right?
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Last edited by SCOTI; 08-07-2008 at 11:44 AM.
Old 08-07-2008, 10:37 AM   #30
RunninLo
3DrDwn--the 'burb not the band

Quote:
Originally Posted by edflores View Post
that joe morrow thing is harsh. jason and ***************** provide excellent service and quality products unlike what everyone knows about shAIM. he and sd are nothing like joe morrow and shAIM so please step back before you use that comparison again. not starting to start a fight but i see a clear distinction
My Personal experience from owning my shop for over ten years; I personally got BETTER customer service and products from Chassis Tech than I did Suicide Doors. I am a real person with real world experience with a multitude of companies over the years. Not a SD fan boy. You like them that's fine. I used to too. I even felt sort of bad after Joe copied their rear clip design.

Aim made "Great Business" decisions too but that doesn't mean that that did what was morally right and that's more important to people who care. I'll pay more for a product from someone I feel deserves my money than buy some cheap copy.

And you're right Nate WILL be fine because while they can copy his design that can't copy him and his level of service. THAT is something other companies should be trying to copy instead.

Josh

'89 GMC Dually crew build page coming soon.
88 4x4 crew DD

duallys past/present pics here:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...46#post4001246

89 1 ton Dually rear flip kit install here:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=354327
Old 08-07-2008, 10:52 AM   #31
Pipeworx

I was reading this thread and had to check in on this. After reading the "other board" I had to drop a line here. I think that it is shameful to copy someone or take credit for someone else's hard work. What we see here has been going on for a long time, it is the declination of society. Most people now days are only concerned with their own personal gain and care less about who they have to climb over to get where they want to go. I am disgusted.

On a lighter note, it seems that the difference in the two boards, and choice of trucks, is that boy's play with the mini's and men have the full size. I guess when you still live at home sucking on momma's titty the world looks different.

I have and will still be purchasing from Nate.
Old 08-07-2008, 11:16 AM   #32
PBFAB.COM

Firts off, I will be the first to admit that when I saw this thread and the pics of SD's "new kit" my stomach dropped a little. I have invested countless hours and dollars in the design and development of the Dropmember. I knew that eventually another manufacturer would step into the market and copy its design. It's just how business works these days. Some people may have the opinion that copying anothers innovation is about as low as a manufacturer can get, while others just see it as "business". Regardless of ones opinion, it's just the way it is. Fortunately, I prepared myself for this exact situation.

I see this as an opportunity to set myself and my company apart from the competition. Porterbuilt will continue to release innovative products that will benefit this industry, while maintaining its commitment to customer service.

I am not in this industry for the money, I am in it to be the best. I appreciate all the support and positive comments about my products and my company. I look forward to a long and bright future in this industry.

Nate

Phone: 480-297-2621

E-mail: sales@pbfab.com

Find us on FaceBook under Porterbuilt Fabrication

Specializing in Chassis and Suspension Components for your Classic Chevrolet Truck.

We offer components from the following manufacturers:

Porterbuilt
Accuair
Ridetech (Air Ride Technologies)
Air Lift
Wilwood
Intro
Unisteer
ECE
Gotta Show
Air Lift
Borgeson
CPP

Supporting this forum since 2003!
Old 08-07-2008, 11:21 AM   #33
C3500

why can't you guys give credit to people when they come out with something nice. i don't care how came out with what first!! if a nice a product, safe, and well built and cheaper I'm buying it plan and simple!!! it was bound to happen that someone else came out with a bolt in cross member tell you the truth i think the SD member looks better... i don't know anyone else with a complete kit front and rear with a drive line now that cool good for them.. so what if it resembles Nate's, it's good design but it's not the best (not to put you down) there good and bad in everything. Welcome to America business is business..
Old 08-07-2008, 11:27 AM   #34
Riveted1
Tasty Cakes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by porterbuilt View Post
I see this as an opportunity to set myself and my company apart from the competition. Porterbuilt will continue to release innovative products that will benefit this industry, while maintaining its commitment to customer service.

I am not in this industry for the money, I am in it to be the best. I appreciate all the support and positive comments about my products and my company. I look forward to a long and bright future in this industry.

Nate
And that's why people "in the know" will still purchase from Nate.

----------------
'66 Chevy SWB "Penny"
'67 Chevy Big Window SWB- aka "Pearl"
'72 Burb- "Betty" "It's not a hearse dammit"
'99 Chevy Ext. cab Silverado
Old 08-07-2008, 12:27 PM   #35
rayray1180

To all the haters out there, my name is ray brasher. I purchased the pb drop member form kp components and from the day it was delivered I had issues. not with the product alone but who pb allows to sell there product. I called kp many times to get instructions on how the kit was to be installed and the best they could do was email me the instructions. after that they were not able to further assist me with any information on the product. Quote we sell the kit we didn’t make it. the pb drop member is a great piece without any doubt. I call suicide doors to ask them for help with the rear kit for my truck. I explained to them that I had bought the pb drop member and just needed to get the rear down. I’m not sure how I talked them into building the kit for me but I did. Once I got the truck to them I asked if there was anything they could do with the front member because I had a few issues with it. I pretty much asked if they could build me a better drop member. I don’t care for how big the pb was. All n all I just thought it was ugly and not real user friendly. pb had a great ideal and the guys at suicide doors took it a step further and made it better. I’ve seen both members and I’m going with the suicide doors one. and the post on the welds not being as good as pb, u need to Jacob about that. He is a true artist with his work. if anyone has any questions on the members u can contact me at 270 452 9122

You must be a subscribing member to make For Sale offers. Please consider supporting the board by subscribing.

Last edited by LONGHAIR; 08-07-2008 at 07:29 PM. Reason: FS removed.
Old 08-07-2008, 12:32 PM   #36
SCOTI

SD's response from the thread about the similarities (edited) . ......
Quote:
the 2 parts perform the same function, they are way different in the way they are built and look..... we made a cross member that lowers a frame. we are a suspension components manufacturer and we will build parts that are in demand no matter if someone else has built it before. henry ford did not invent the auto, just took it to another level. im sure it wont be the last time we build something to sell that someone else has built before.
I'm curious what the "differences" are that he mentions? RunninLo..... you registered there, perhaps you can inquire?
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Last edited by SCOTI; 08-07-2008 at 12:33 PM.
Old 08-07-2008, 12:44 PM   #37
FRENCHBLUE72
PROJECT 7DEUCE

If the drop member is such a paper weight send it to me.. does anyone have any idea on the cost of the sd. member?

MEMBER #6377

72 k-5 daily driver 6'' lift 35'' 350-350-205 slowly getting rust free.

Project "7DEUCE"

check out my build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=267665

Tim Powell..R.I.P EastSideLowlife..... R.I.P..
Old 08-07-2008, 12:47 PM   #38
Kontrol Phreaks

?

Last edited by Kontrol Phreaks; 08-07-2008 at 02:02 PM.
Old 08-07-2008, 12:50 PM   #39
Kontrol Phreaks

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRENCHBLUE72 View Post
does anyone have any idea on the cost of the sd. member?
They don't have a price yet, I already wasted time to call and see.
Old 08-07-2008, 01:00 PM   #40
scoot

any idas when sd is going to release the c4 version?
Old 08-07-2008, 01:08 PM   #41
Kontrol Phreaks

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoot View Post
any idas when sd is going to release the c4 version?

Last edited by Kontrol Phreaks; 08-07-2008 at 01:46 PM.
Old 08-07-2008, 01:10 PM   #42
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayray1180 View Post
To all the haters out there, my name is ray brasher. I purchased the pb drop member form kp components and from the day it was delivered I had issues. not with the product alone but who pb allows to sell there product. I called kp many times to get instructions on how the kit was to be installed and the best they could do was email me the instructions. after that they were not able to further assist me with any information on the product. Quote we sell the kit we didn’t make it. the pb drop member is a great piece without any doubt. I call suicide doors to ask them for help with the rear kit for my truck. I explained to them that I had bought the pb drop member and just needed to get the rear down. I’m not sure how I talked them into building the kit for me but I did. Once I got the truck to them I asked if there was anything they could do with the front member because I had a few issues with it. I pretty much asked if they could build me a better drop member. I don’t care for how big the pb was. All n all I just thought it was ugly and not real user friendly. pb had a great ideal and the guys at suicide doors took it a step further and made it better. I still have the pb drop member so if anyone’s interested n it it’s for sale. I’ve seen both members and I’m going with the suicide doors one. and the post on the welds not being as good as pb, u need to Jacob about that. He is a true artist with his work. if anyone has any questions on the members u can contact me at 270 452 9122 id really like to sell the pb drop member, dont need any paper waits laying around.
I'm no hater.....

Did you ever contact the manufacturer (Porter) to resolve your 'issues'?
You mentioned size; what other issues did you have w/the original DM you purchased?
What wasn't 'ideal' that SD improved upon?
How much did the SD's set-up cost you?
Quote:
To all the haters out there...... the pb drop member is a great piece without any doubt.... id really like to sell the pb drop member, dont need any paper waits laying around.
You start off your first post w/calling out the 'haters' . . ....yet you mention the DM is a "great piece" & then contradict yourself @ the end of your post.

So you're saying you want to sell a "great quality paper weight"?
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Last edited by SCOTI; 08-07-2008 at 01:22 PM.
Old 08-07-2008, 01:29 PM   #43
GMBowtie79

Quote:
To all the haters out there, my name is ray brasher. I purchased the pb drop member form kp components and from the day it was delivered I had issues. not with the product alone but who pb allows to sell there product. I called kp many times to get instructions on how the kit was to be installed and the best they could do was email me the instructions. after that they were not able to further assist me with any information on the product. Quote we sell the kit we didn’t make it. the pb drop member is a great piece without any doubt. I call suicide doors to ask them for help with the rear kit for my truck. I explained to them that I had bought the pb drop member and just needed to get the rear down. I’m not sure how I talked them into building the kit for me but I did. Once I got the truck to them I asked if there was anything they could do with the front member because I had a few issues with it. I pretty much asked if they could build me a better drop member. I don’t care for how big the pb was. All n all I just thought it was ugly and not real user friendly. pb had a great ideal and the guys at suicide doors took it a step further and made it better. I still have the pb drop member so if anyone’s interested n it it’s for sale. I’ve seen both members and I’m going with the suicide doors one. and the post on the welds not being as good as pb, u need to Jacob about that. He is a true artist with his work. if anyone has any questions on the members u can contact me at 270 452 9122 id really like to sell the pb drop member, dont need any paper waits laying around.
Sounds to me like he works for them!

I haven't seen a whole lot that SD hasn't copied from someone else so what makes you think that they wouldn't do the same with a great product like the Dropmember! Every one knows that Henry Ford didn't invent the automobile he developed the assembly line process. If you want to get rid of your Dropmember I'll give ya a couple hundred for it. After all it's just a paper weight to you!

Last edited by GMBowtie79; 08-07-2008 at 01:29 PM.
Old 08-07-2008, 01:56 PM   #44
edflores

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
SD's response from the thread about the similarities (edited) . ......

I'm curious what the "differences" are that he mentions? RunninLo..... you registered there, perhaps you can inquire?
i asked. and now i asked again. jason probably doesnt want to give out to much info until hes going into production.
and i made a mistake with the walmart analogy. i was refering the the volume, not the bad rep
Old 08-07-2008, 02:01 PM   #45
Kontrol Phreaks

As with any manufacture the competition is out there to produce a new and unique product, or offer a similar product to an already existing market place. However with an industry as small as ours, there's at times a fine line between inventing a new products vs. knocking one off. I guess it all depends on how you look at the situation really.
As with every "debate", each party/company will have supporters on their side as competition brings out the best in everyone. Often times competition can be "price" driven as opposed to "design" driven and that's when things get interesting. As a manufacturing representitive who's been in the game since 95' I can clearly see "both sides of the fence" in regards to the products in question here, and have the right draw my own conclusion based upon experience and feelings.

Remember we're all in it for the same reason at the end, and that's to build and enjoy our passion for trucks.

Later
Old 08-07-2008, 02:12 PM   #46
abadsvt

Quote:
Originally Posted by porterbuilt View Post
Firts off, I will be the first to admit that when I saw this thread and the pics of SD's "new kit" my stomach dropped a little. I have invested countless hours and dollars in the design and development of the Dropmember. I knew that eventually another manufacturer would step into the market and copy its design. It's just how business works these days. Some people may have the opinion that copying anothers innovation is about as low as a manufacturer can get, while others just see it as "business". Regardless of ones opinion, it's just the way it is. Fortunately, I prepared myself for this exact situation.

Nate

Very classy response!!!!! I could go on and defend my friend Nate and his dropmember but with responses like this I don't need too. Nate has definately taken the high road with this and kudos to him!!!!

So Nate since you not in this industry for money and since i love money maybe we can work something out. Pm me for more details

Josh
Other project: C5 corvette swap into 70 c10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post2413517 On Hold
Old 08-07-2008, 02:27 PM   #47
rotgg

why is nobody on Nathans case about ripping off the products he got his idea from fatman, scotts hot rod,flat out engineering,jim meyer racing products,no limit engineering,jpl,heidt's, and all the other mustang II "drop member" producers this is nothing new at all people have been using mustang II cross members for years i like the porterbuilt drop member it looks like a great piece i also know how much work goes into something like this and appreciate the people like nate that bring these products to market
Old 08-07-2008, 02:35 PM   #48
edflores

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotgg View Post
why is nobody on Nathans case about ripping off the products he got his idea from fatman, scotts hot rod,flat out engineering,jim meyer racing products,no limit engineering,jpl,heidt's, and all the other mustang II "drop member" producers this is nothing new at all people have been using mustang II cross members for years i like the porterbuilt drop member it looks like a great piece i also know how much work goes into something like this and appreciate the people like nate that bring these products to market
because nate was the only one using truck arms. he was the pioneer in that. his product is nothing like any of those companies. they dont cater to us. they are more in the street rod business as apposed to street trucks. his is very specific about its function.
people are on sd's case because its very similar with the same function and same market.

Last edited by edflores; 08-07-2008 at 02:40 PM.
Old 08-07-2008, 02:38 PM   #49
GMBowtie79

That and it's a bolt on unlike the others that are welded on..

Last edited by GMBowtie79; 08-07-2008 at 02:41 PM.
Old 08-07-2008, 02:46 PM   #50
rotgg

fat man is bolt in for 60-87 trucks and had one for a long time before nate did sorry to bust your bubble on that and on the using truck arms thing unless i have missed something you cant use the stock arms unless u mod them and the hole point of the drop member is that you want a bolt in product also ask nate about flat out engineerings C4 C5 stuff the fat man also uses stock lower arms
Closed Thread