The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-07-2016, 08:26 AM   #1
wahl4m

outside wood burners ??

im thinking about buying a outside -NON-BOILER- type wood burner ! anybody got one ?? i l seen one that is a "shaver" thermowind 1000 - looked at a website but everybody was trashing it-several said if you had a problem -the company dont stand behind them ?? anybody got one or any ideas ? the shop wont be heated all the time /didnt want the water freezing up OR HAVING TO USE GLYCOL !
wahl4m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 09:55 PM   #2
TCCGRIZ

Re: outside wood burners ??

I have the Crown Royal the model I have will heat up to 10 thousand square feet . My garage is 2400 . I have it heating my stoop and sidewalk. Also tied into my forced air heating system in the house and my domestic hot water . I use on average a cord or a little more from Dec to middle of March. That is setting the t-stat at 55 degrees and bumping it up when I'm out working in it
I ran glycol in the tubes in the slab and water in the unit itself .
I love it
TCCGRIZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 05:28 AM   #3
68c10airstream

Iowa Eh? how would you like to use wood chips and manure to create 180 degree water for a year and a half untouched?? Look up on youtube and find "jean pain heating"

If I lived in the country I would do this in a minute! Hot water heating is the best.

Running a 110 volt circ pump draws about 1 amp. From an eco/green perspective, you are using mother nature to your advantage, just locating it into a pile and using the heat from it. Manure fires do happen at times but the wood chip blend will tone it down some.

In fall when the bugs start to take a dirt nap I would form the pile on top of a pex coil and plump it into whatever building you want to heat.

A friend has an outdoor boiler and plumbed it into his shop and used a schoolbus radiator and fan and has no complaints.

Unit heaters are available as a self contained fan/ coil and run by a thermostat and work great.
68c10airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 09:20 AM   #4
ERASER5

NON-BOILER would be just a wood burning stove wouldn't it? I suppose you could have a plenum and forced air system. Having that outside would cut efficiency way down I would think.

No matter whether you have a boiler or non-boiler, check your state laws about outdoor wood furnaces. A lot of states are cracking down. My state certainly is.

Are you in the country or city? That could make a difference. There are plenty of ideas in Farm Show magazine on heating shops and other building for cheap. Corn stock bales, D-I-Y-geothermal, stuff like that.
ERASER5 is offline   Reply With Quote