The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-04-2009, 08:38 PM   #1
Orange52

Iowa AD\S10 Build

I've been spending a lot of time here watching others threads and slowly making some progress on mine.
I've got a 52 Chevy pickup thats been in the family since new and that I've been dragging around in various states of repair since 1989. Not long ago I picked up a standard cab\long bed S10, a nice perk is that is already has a V8 in it.
The S10 cab and body finally went away tonight and I can mock up my cab mounts.
I have a pic of the bare frame, flower pot over the carb and all , I'm just not sure if I can get it to post.

Anyway, I decided to go the S10 frame route since I can't weld for sh*t and don't want to put my life or others on the road in danger due to my fab work!
A buddy built my cab mounts for me using drawings from this site. (He's 2.5 hours away or I'd ask him to help out a little more on this).

The plan is for a vehicle I can drive daily if I choose and be able to go to Napa, Autozone, etc... for basic mechanical parts I may need. The S10 frame also seems to rule out the need for advanced knowledge of the Ackerman principle.

I'll have to resize my pictures before I can post them.
Orange52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 08:47 PM   #2
Orange52

Re: Iowa AD\S10 Build

I finally got a pic of the frame to upload.
Attached Images

Old 06-04-2009, 08:58 PM   #3
iokua80

Good start.....but something to think about. The location on the engine will most likely have to be moved to the rear. I had to move mine back a few inches and some others had to also. But you could possibly keep it in the same location. Just have to do some measuring and tinkering around. Good luck and if you have any questions just shout and someone smarter than me will answer. HAHAHA
Later,
Josh
iokua80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 09:53 PM   #4
IL boy

i look forward to seeing your progress. i too am starting my s10 swap. it too also has a v8 crammed in it. i am saving up to buy either an ez-swap kit or ad-engineering kit to mount mine, since i cant weld to save my life. i have read a few posts and figure that would be the best route. i would like to wish you best of luck
IL boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 11:56 PM   #5
jeffs51chevy

Here's my crapy advice. Enroll yourself in a vocational welding class at the local college. Learn a skill that you will use for the rest of your life. Hopefully not everyday, but one that is usefull forever. SAVE. Yes, save up your money; not for a kit, but for a good welder. Something that is usefull long after your project is done. The money spent will far outlast the ownership of the truck you are building. If you think the kit is "bolt on", ask around. There are several guys on here that have used a kit, and they will tell you that fabrication (and welding metal) was a big part of getting things right. Really, I'm not here to tell you how to build your truck, I'm just giving you another option. Take it or leave it. Free advise - you get what you pay for.

Jeff
jeffs51chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 12:05 AM   #6
IvelDesigns
Commander Taco Bello

hey man, another des moines guy with a project on their hands.

I went the MII route, but I just got mine on the road last weekend. I have to agree with jeffs51chevy, get a welder, find a friend who can weld, and learn how. I fell in that "can't weld for chit" category when i started my '50 (2 months ago) and am still in it. However, I have learned a ton and know that what I've done will hold.

If there was a weld I wasn't sure i could do well enough, that's where the friends thing comes in and saves your butt

feel free to PM me if you need a hand some time. I'd like to check out the project and would be more than willing to help and/or bring over my son for an additional set of hands.
IvelDesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 06:13 AM   #7
Orange52

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffs51chevy View Post
SAVE. Yes, save up your money; not for a kit, but for a good welder. If you think the kit is "bolt on", ask around. There are several guys on here that have used a kit, and they will tell you that fabrication (and welding metal) was a big part of getting things right. Jeff
Jeff, I agree with you. Going this route isn't a direct bolt on, I just don't feel comfortable with my welds on key pieces like suspension.
I've got a 110 mig welder that I can stick things together with, mostly patch panels.
I really looked into the kits until I started lurking here more. I found the print someone designed, Not sure who or I'd give them a huge thanks. I then emailed it to a friend who works for a factory. He asked a favor of one of the welders and they built them for me out of 1/4 inch steel. I don't think I have any problems with these mounts!
Old 06-05-2009, 07:33 AM   #8
jeffs51chevy

That's the spirit. I'm glad to hear you going that route. One thing you can do with your current welder is tack everything so that later you can have a buddy come through and finish all the things you don't feel comfortable with (and with a biger welder). I looked at your picture again and noticed the cab mounts. I'm believe I might have had a little bit to do with their design. So, I know how they work on the s10 frame. If you run into problems let me know.

The fact that you took on the project shows your determination. Keep up the good work.

Jeff
jeffs51chevy is offline   Reply With Quote