The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-27-2012, 11:27 PM   #1
Drewbee

Duramax question

Ok guys I hope I am posting this in the correct location, but if not let me know I'll move it to where it needs to be. Please don't flame me, but I am trying to gather a lot of information and research for a possible project. I have a 72 4x4 that I would like to put in a duramax, but there are just somethings i can't figure out.

I know the best way to approach it will be to buy a wrecked duramax and yank what I need out, but there are a few problems still.

I know new motor mounts and I probably will beef up the frame a lil. But the things that I just cant figure out are:

1. Solid axle conversion - without buying the 17k conversion kit!!! (preferably a dana 60)

2. The Allison's transfer case is drivers side drop. I know Ford dana 60's could possibly work, but I'd also like to be able to use my original 8 lug steelies to keep the original look.

I can't think of anymore at the moment, but i am SURE there will be other questions.

Please any info on what it would take to do the swap please let me know. I don't plan to do this overnight, nor in a year or two. I realize this is a long road, but I have plenty of time and ability with the right information. Plus, its my dream truck!

Thanks, Drew
Drewbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 11:36 PM   #2
onebadbowtie

Re: Duramax question

have you put thought in to buying a wrecked d-max with little to no frame damage and swapping a 67-72 body over on to that frame...seems like an easier task to me. then you could do a solid axle swap if you dont like the IFS there was a guy on here doing the SAS on a newer truck here recently. i will look for that for ya. could maybe incorporate parts of the newer truck dash into it to.

94' Chevy K1500 Extended Cab 4x4 5.7
72' Chevy LWB K10, 350, SM465, NP205 Project "Daily Driver"
onebadbowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 11:39 PM   #3
onebadbowtie

http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=487812 here is the link on the SAS

Old 02-27-2012, 11:51 PM   #4
Drewbee

Thanks I have thought about that but I think that would be ALOT of fabrication as the frame is a different length which would throw everything off as well. Not too mention I can get a wrecked duramax and take the drivetrain out alot cheaper than buying a duramax truck.
Old 02-28-2012, 12:11 AM   #5
Zoomad75
K5Camper

I really hope you a packing a truckload of cash to go with the duramax. I'm not trying to discourage you, but it's not a simple swap. First you got to choose what vintage of d-max to pull from. Early ones have the injector issues up to mid year 04. Later ones got EGR and starting in 07 they started running the Diesel particulate filter. If you run the later one, you either need to integrate the emission garbage or find somebody that can tune the crap out. I wouldn't even look at a 11 or 12 d-max for the fact that they got saddled with the joy of needing diesel exhaust fluid (fancy name for synthetic urea) to even run.

Next up is transmission choice. The obvious choice would be the Allison 1000, but they did have an option of the ZF 6 speed manual trans back in the early years. Problem is either trans is physically massive in size. Either trans is very tall. So tall that the 3/4 and 1 ton trucks this engine came in have much taller frames compared to the 1/2 tons to help cover everything without need for factory body lifts. Fitting in a 67-72 would require a body lift and or surgery to the trans tunnel.

You are on track with going to the driver side drop on the t-case and front axle. That means you are going with a push button t-case. Add more complexity with a t-case control module to run that stuff. That is unless you can put your hands on a manual shift t-case from an earlier version.

There are ways around a lot of the issues, most of which comes back to money. I'm not saying it can't be done, but it won't be a budget build in the least. Good luck with it!
Zoomad75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 12:27 AM   #6
Drewbee

Thanks Zoomad,

I appreciate the info and I understand it will be some money. And even though I don't make a lot I've been fortunate to pretty much have everything paid off except my home. I have a lot of free time in the evenings and don't have anything to put money into except maybe a 401k soon. I'm still young. haha or at least I like to think so. But could you give me more info?

I would like to use an lbz and would like to have a manual tcase. Do you know which one these would have come with?

Like I said all the info the better as this will really help make my decision. I'm sure i'll spend well over 40k by the time I am done with all this even though I'll do most of the work myself. But the thing I want to avoid by all means is buy things I dont need.
Old 02-28-2012, 01:02 AM   #7
onebadbowtie

i know your against it but to me it would be the easier route here is another link to build that is kinda along the same lines as to what i was thinking for your project when i first started reading what you wanted to do.....but either way it will be sweet and i would like to do this in the future also.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=498570

Old 02-28-2012, 01:18 AM   #8
Drewbee

That is a very interesting thread. I wonder how I might could apply that to a lwb. I know swb are more desirable, but I want to keep the lwb because I plan to use as my work truck as well and I can fit more stuff in an 8ft bed vs a 6ft bed. Thanks onebadbowtie, I appreciate it!
Old 02-28-2012, 01:30 AM   #9
onebadbowtie

ya thats what i was thinking. buy a regular cab long bed work truck that has the fewer options so less electrical the better. then buy a 2wd long bed c-10 with a decent body. then graft in the firewall and core support of the new truck. maybe even try using the gauge cluster and heating controls as well. cutting the frame down so that the wheel bases line up isn't to big of a deal. just have to shorten the drive shaft, fuel, and brake lines as well.

Old 02-28-2012, 01:39 AM   #10
Drewbee

Might be a thought. I am going to have to tackle all the gauge issues as well. I'd like to make everything look stock. Just as if the truck rolled off the factory floor looking like a 1972 k2500 with a duramax. We'll see..... if I just can't wrap my mind around it I may just have to settle for an LS swap and buy the adaptors. But I just can't seem to shake the idea of having a duramax with the fuel economy and hauling power.
Old 02-28-2012, 01:58 AM   #11
Zoomad75
K5Camper

Here's an interesting read for you:

Duramax-suburban

A lot of the same pitfalls were covered as what you'll run into. Plus this guy was paying to get a majority of the heavy lifting done. The end result is pretty nice, but it wasn't cheap or easy.
Zoomad75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 02:15 AM   #12
1972K20

Unfortunately a Duramax has to be one of the most difficult diesels to transplant. It would be very cool to see it done like you're talking about, having it look factory.
1972K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 05:27 AM   #13
andrewmp6

A cummins would be a easier swap they sell bolt in motor mounts and engine cross members for it.
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 10:33 AM   #14
Drewbee

Thanks Andrew I've thought about the cummins and a great engine. But just something about me being OCD on somethings. Duramax is a isuzu/gm engine that wa built for gm the cummins was built for dodge. Don't get me wrong those that want to do a cummins swap more power to you I'd just like to keep all things gm related even the drivetrain. But everybody keep it up I can never have too much info and research. Like the ol adage measure twice cut once.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-28-2012, 10:13 PM   #15
BlackhillsHD

I would go with an LLY over the LBZ. Just a personal preference from working on them. If you plan on turning up the motor at all the LLY's have better pistons. Deleting the particulate filters is a breeze if you do decide to go with the newer LBZ's or LMM's. Any place that does tuning can do it. Also if you want to use the engine/trans in stand alone, you will have to find a tuner to get rid of the security anyway. As for transfer cases, the factory aluminum cases normally behind the Allison both electronic and manual are notorious for wearing holes in the case from the pump. I have thought about doing the same conversion. Still on the fence with the amount of work involved. Im kind of leaning towards an 8.1/Allison combo for mine, just for ease of installation.

General Motors Master Certified wrench swinger
ASE certified Master auto tech
Instructor of Automotive Technology
BlackhillsHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 11:14 PM   #16
Drewbee

Thanks Blackhills,

I've been reading about the tcase rub that youre talking about. I saw there is an aftermarket kit that fixes the rub. Yeah the work is what I am trying to figure out. I just want to have a full laid out gameplan if I decide to do it. Nothing worse than getting half way into something and having to cuss and throw things because you didn't plan, or it wasn't even on your radar. Nothing a few beers wouldn't fix I suppose.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:17 PM   #17
BlackhillsHD

Yep unless a really cheap dmax happens to fall into my lap I hope you do a build thread if you decide to go that route. I will tune in.

Old 02-28-2012, 11:39 PM   #18
Drewbee

Well I plan on doing a build thread, but I'll warn you...it will be a long, drawn out one. I understand it'll cost crazy money, which I don't have, but like I said I'm pretty fortunate to be where I am financially and enjoy working on vehicles and learning new stuff. I don't mind taking the extra funds and putting them into the truck since I don't spend it on anything else. But that's still a lot of saving up and talking myself into spending it at times..haha Sometimes I have to give myself a pep talk when I spend the money. Of course, I'm still in the research phase and if I can't make it all work to where it looks original, in and out, then I won't take the project on. I want my truck to stay as stock looking as possible except with a modern drivetrain and a lil lift.
Old 02-29-2012, 12:11 AM   #19
1972K20

I think you have a great idea. I'd like to see it work.

Also, has anyone put anything other than the Allison tranny behind the Duramax? I know that is what's ideal, but what about a NV4500 or SM465?
1972K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 12:29 AM   #20
BlackhillsHD

They did have some ZF 6 speeds behind dmaxes I absolutly hated driving those. I'm not sure if others would bolt up.

Old 02-29-2012, 12:46 AM   #21
john@thepier

What is this rub issue you guys are talking about. I just purchased last month a 2005 GMC Duramax RC with the Allison 5 speed. truck has only 5,000 miles on it and if I can avoid problems down the road I'd apriciate it. Thanks John
john@thepier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 12:51 AM   #22
BlackhillsHD

The clip that holds the steel pump body in the aluminum transfer case will wear and break. After that happens it's only a matter of time until the pump will wear a small hole in the transfer case. If you dont notice the fluid loss, its a bad day for the T-case. I know that GM had updated the clip to a free floating design that is suppose to stop this.

Old 02-29-2012, 01:23 AM   #23
john@thepier

Thanks I will see if I can get this done on recall or something. One of my best friend is a mechanic at the dealership. He probably can do it.
john@thepier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 01:25 AM   #24
BlackhillsHD

And if you leave it long enough you get the "air cooled" t-case chain lol
Attached Images

Old 02-29-2012, 01:38 AM   #25
Drewbee