The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > Welcome Area

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-18-2021, 02:25 PM   #1
Tom70C20

Hello from Kansas

Been reading threads for several months, but have only recently been able to post.

I bought a '70 C20 last August, my first pickup of any kind. It's originally a "396" truck that now has a '79 454 and TH400 trans. So far I have worked mostly on the interior and just getting it more reliable (brakes, carb, cooling, electrical gremlins, leaks, etc.). It has a 20+ year old re-spray that is peeling, faded, and cracking pretty badly in places. The toolbox door is in rough shape (but all there) so I just took it off until I can restore it.

I plan to slowly restore the truck while also using it for some occasional hauling duties as weather permits. I also have a '71 Z28 that needs occasional attention.

Looking forward to all the support from the board, and hopefully providing an occasional contribution myself.

Tom
Attached Images

Tom70C20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 04:19 PM   #2
The Rocknrod

Re: Hello from Kansas

Wow. What a nice truck. Welcome to the forum.
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 10:35 PM   #3
Ironhorse

X2 on the truck! Much nicer than my 'ol beat up, rode hard and put away wet, 4x4 was for sure. Welcome from another "flatlander" south and west of ya. You found a perfect place to learn and share on these 'ol trucks.
Original Truck AM/FM
Wellington, Ks
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 01:06 PM   #4
hounddogs!
Restoring it $200 at a time...

Love the 20934 on the firewall. Welcome from the other end of K-10!

'68 5.3L-4 speed LWB C20; grandpa bought it for the farm in '71. Now LS 5.3, rather than 327.

DD '09 Pilot

Weekender '65 Skylark 300-4V-4 speed

Wife's '07 Lexus ES350; 117 actuator motors and I can't see the engine.

Son's '04 F250 SuperCab 6.0
hounddogs! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 01:39 PM   #5
68Gold/white

As they say at Barrett Jackson, well bought!!!! When I was a kid, my Dad bought a one year old C-10, that color. I'm not a fan of a lot of green colors, BUT if you get to repaint it that color, it sure stands out, looks nice!!! Looks good, now!!!
One of the great things about c-20's and c-30's that are front drum brakes, the larger drums/shoes these heavier duty pickups come with help stopping a lot, compared to the half ton's.
Does the 454 seem in good shape??? THose blue valve covers sure look out of place under the hood...LOL
68Gold/white is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 02:45 PM   #6
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

Welcome, that color looks great on your truck! I wonder if the wood grain on the dash and glovebox was part of one of those SPID options (Custom Sport Truck?).

'72 Chevy C10 Cheyenne *Super WHT/MED BRONZE/WHT
SBC 350 | TH350 | LWB | AC | Buddy Seats
Upgrades: Tilt | Front Sway Bar | Radio | Sliding Window | Bed Spare w/Lock
Bed Rails | Full LEDs | Courtesy Lights | Tachometer | Glovebox Lock & Light | Head Light Relays | *Upgraded Fully Super Trim
Rich72C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 06:26 PM   #7
Tom70C20

Thanks all!

The front brakes had already been changed over to disk when I got it. The rear brakes weren't working at all when I got it due to a clogged rear hose. I had to replace the rear drums as they were both worn way beyond spec. Yes, those drums are huge and heavy, and I had a little trouble finding replacements.

I hope to repaint it eventually and probably the same color. It seems most of the two tone trucks are white between the upper and lower trim instead of below the lower trim like mine. I assume it came this way stock but not sure.

The 454 runs pretty well, but it has the late 70's peanut port heads so there isn't much power at higher rpms. It was supposedly rebuilt about 4k miles prior to my ownership, but the PO didn't know the specifics of what was done (it was his father's truck). Yes, the blue valve covers and plug wires will have to go at some point.

I put the wood grain decal on the the gauge panel and glove box. When I got the truck there were thick, light colored wood grain decals on it which were in bad shape. I assume this was done by the PO as I have never seen them on other trucks before. Not sure what it would have had originally.
Tom70C20 is offline   Reply With Quote