The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-13-2018, 09:48 AM   #1
saxart

C10 high front end?

I rebuilt the entire front end on my '70 C-10 with all Moog parts from RockAuto. (inner and outer tie-rods, upper and lower ball joints, and A-arm shafts and end nuts)

The original coil springs and A-arms were cleaned up and repainted and the A-arm shafts were installed by chucking them in a vice then tightening the end nuts with a very large socket wrench once the a-arm was in place over the shaft. Once that was done, the A-arms were installed on the truck.

Everything went together great, but now the truck sits about 2" taller in the front. (Yes, the front springs are installed correctly and are seated in their "pockets") Should I have tightened the shaft end nuts after the arms were installed on the truck and the wheels were on the ground?

I thought maybe the whole set up needed to "cycle" up and down a bit, so I stood on the front tips of the truck's frame (bumper is still off) and proceeded to bounce my 260lbs of "pure solid muscle" (beer gut) as violently as I could in an attempt to get things to settle-in, but this had no effect as the front end still sits quite a bit taller than the rear. I'm certain this was quite the sight to witness!

Any advice here on getting this truck to sit level again?
Old 05-14-2018, 07:04 AM   #2
D13

Re: C10 high front end?

At the factory the arms are bolted to the chassis, the spindle is bolted to the lower, the spring dropped in the pocket, and the upper arm dropped on the spindle and the nut installed. Everything gets torqued down way before the chassis sees any weight.

Odds are your rear susupension needs work. Remember these trucks sat pretty high from the factory.
Plus a mess o' tractors
D13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 09:05 PM   #3
saxart

Re: C10 high front end?

D13-
Thanks. You're probably correct about the rear springs being worn. The confusing thing is that it didn't sit a$$ end low BEFORE redoing the front suspension, only after, so I don't understand what could have changed.

Oh well, maybe I'll just drive it around like this for a bit and see if it settles in.