The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-26-2018, 12:36 PM   #1
gramps77

700r4 just quit, thoughts?

Transmission has been in the truck for years. Driven maybe a day or two a week then sometimes not at all for a week or two. Sporadic......
No issues with shifting, has always been reliable, til now.

Went to run to the bank, halfway there stopped at a stop light go to pull away and it seemed to start and go then NOTHING. No noises such as clanking or bangs associated with the situation.
No reverse or any other gears at all. of course I'm in the middle of moving with basically all my stuff in storage to include my pressure gauge to see if there is pressure and the pump is working.
Given the above information, could we assume its the pump and not the converter? Any other things to try and see whats going on?
gramps77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 09:33 AM   #2
YoungPup1977
Account Suspended

Re: 700r4 just quit, thoughts?

Just a few thoughts .....

First thought:
since you dont have your pressure gauge handy, take off a cooler line and see if you have any pressure (start vehicle)...just make sure you have something in place to catch the fluid if your trans decides to have pressure from the pump.....

2nd thought:
stuck PR valve could cause no pressure situation, but the first thought above will tell you if you have pressure or not...if not check PR valve....

3rd thought:
check linkage of the trans,
maybe the manual valve is laying in the bottom of your trans pan.... not common but again, thoughts.....

another thought...check TC bolts, but I would think it would of made some kind of noise but maybe you had the radio up loud listening to Freddy Fender....

Last edited by YoungPup1977; 05-29-2018 at 06:06 PM.
YoungPup1977 is offline   Reply With Quote