The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-28-2019, 01:03 PM   #1
demian5

Blew up the truck, deciding on a cam and trans upgrades

This kinda long, thanks to those that read it and help.

I flog my truck as a daily driver. I enjoy the truck a lot. Its a solid driver and never misses a beat, even when getting half a bed of firewood.

I traded trucks with my kid and on his way home from the swap, crank broke. Coolant in engine, front of crank trying to look up and out of engine compartment (image attached). I said to him "I beat the crap out of that thing and its never given me any problems". I believe he just got the luck of the draw and was in possession of it when it let go.

What a crappy call to have to make as a 19 year old kid "dad, i blew up your truck".

I have another motor in the garage that a flattened a cam lobe. Ill go through the motor and get it cleaned up as it only had about 2000 miles on it after full rebuild before the cam went and my father swapped to a big block (I feel the cam may not have been broken in properly). Clean block, new bearings, etc...

I have options for an intake. I have a single plane Torker, and a couple dual planes, one is taller than the other. I also have options for carbs with holleys, demons and edelbrock 650 and 750 (even a matched pair if I want a dual quad setup).

I need to get a new cam. I have one that was purchased for the engine but it has a 470 lift 300 duration and 108 lobe sep. This seems a little to much for a stock converter and a truck with tall gears. Would do 200 MPH through...

I plan on going through the trans as well at this time.
Truck will be daily driven. Looking for suggestion for a cam and trans upgrades. Not going to "LS swap the world" on this, as its a nice truck Id love to keep original to its origin and kind of period correct.

Specs below:

ENGINE NOW:
Target 350 boat anchor

ENGINE TO PUT IN:
355 4-bolt main
Steel crank
Edelbrock 6090 heads
Full Roller rockers (have a set of 1.5 and 1.6 to choose from)

Engine Accessories:
Mid-length hedman headers
Performer dual plane intake
Demon 625 street carb
MSD billet distributor with vacuum advance locked out

Drivetrain:
TH350 trans
Stock Converter
3:07 gears
31" tires

Thank you in advance for your expertise.
Attached Images

1983 K2500 Sierra Classic Suburban 6.2
Instagram: C10sofOC
demian5 is offline   Reply With Quote