The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-19-2017, 02:08 PM   #1
abig84

anyone ever track down the original owner of their old truck/car?

whats the story and how did it go? i would think it would be a good thing to do if you ever wanted to sell it, maybe the original owner would like it back.

i have this old pos s10 i been using as a offroad truck for the past 10 years. i bought it off a guy who bought it off the original owner and never transferred over the title to his name. so after googling the original owners name, seems hes still at the same address of the title and even got a phone number.

but who knows the guy might not even give a crap, i personally would love to see a vehicle i owned that i havent seen for 10 years again no mater the shape.... maybe ill just mail him a anonymous letter with a bunch of pictures or something
abig84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 02:50 PM   #2
wfojon
Chevy guy

Re: anyone ever track down the original owner of their old truck/car?

I live in a small town and in the late 90s I picked up a 1970 Nova to restore and it sat for a long time. I started driving it last year and one day a guy flagged me down on the hiway. His wife was the original owner and they drove it to Mexico for their wedding. He and his son took a bunch of pictures of it to take home for the wife. They recognized the car by the plate which was the original and it was still painted the same color. It was cool and is a good story, the car living its whole life in one town.
Jon
65 C10 long bed fleetside
70 C10 long bed fleetside
74 C30 flatbed
wfojon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 04:15 PM   #3
Llay R. Rac

I did, 2 months after they sold the truck.
It had been owned by an retired doctor, i talked to his wife , the only info she had was that her husband had the dealer put the west coast mirrors on, and that they had used the truck for extended camping trips. she said her husband was in the hospital for a routine operation and i should call back next week to talk to him, when i called back he had passed.
Old 08-19-2017, 07:46 PM   #4
In The Ten Ring

My truck was bought new by my dad. I literally grew up in that thing as it came along before I did and dad drove it for 20 years. I drove it in high school and dated my first girlfriend in it.

My brother gave my dad so much trouble with alcohol, smoking, and even some drugs that dad wanted to try something different with me. (Dad had literally tried to beat the smoking habit out of my brother.....didn't work).

When I was about 10 my dad sat next to me with a Walther P38 and said "beating your brother half to death didn't stop him from smoking, I know he still does that, so I am going to try a different tactic with you. I'll make you a deal. You get to 21 and don't ever drink, smoke, dip snuff, chew tobacoo, or use any drugs and I'll give you the choice between this pistol and my '72 truck."

Well I turned 21, was given both, and never had to lie to my dad. I still don't smoke, use tobacco, and I have never tried any illegal drugs, not even pot. I drink at a very low amount and very rarely. I might drink a Mike's Hard Lemonade three times a year and I hate beer.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 09:15 PM   #5
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

Ten Ring, you and I will get along just fine.

I don't need to track down the original owner of Lefty. I bought it from him in October 2001 and have known the truck since 1979. He was our next door neighbor when I was a kid
Man rule #77...if you own a 67 stepside with a caddy 472 you will never be in danger of loosing you man card
68C15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 10:30 AM   #6
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

its a double edge sword I don't try to track them down usually because I know when I sell my truck, if someone customizes it to something I am not fond of I will regret selling it. My personal tastes are pretty close to stock. Within the last few years I bought a 71 monte carlo and the guy I got it from was a good friend of the executor of the original owners estate. He is a " stock" kind of car guy too. Ive restored the car with exception of they vynal roof ( went full hardtop) but went with original colors etc.. him I would show the car to because I know hed love to see it. The guy who died, he wouldn't let them sell this car until after he passed. If he were still alive and able to, im betting he would love to see it back to its glory

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 10:46 AM   #7
GOPAPA
"Tail Gate Best Seat In House"

This is not exactly what this post ask ,,but will share it anyway

I once many years ago traded in my 57 Chevy for another car and I made the dealer promise me that he would sell it to someone who would take care of it.. I watched and soon seen who bought it and the guy did take good care of it.. then the next guy who got it ,,took the rear bumper off changed the spinner wheels to stock and wrecked the front fender

I gave up checking on it ever again .. looking back it was kinda silly thinking I could control how that car was taking care of for the rest of it's life..

and Ten Ring ,I like your story and can relate to it by the wife and I doing the same thing with our son when he graduated school and we gave him my old pickup
Old 08-20-2017, 03:17 PM   #8
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

I promised the old guy when I bought my truck that I would keep it in my family. Now, 16 years later I've sold it to my nephew. He promised to do the same
Man rule #77...if you own a 67 stepside with a caddy 472 you will never be in danger of loosing you man card
68C15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 10:57 PM   #9
davischevy

I bought a 72 Cheyenne super from the original owner once. I spent a ton of money and time restoring the truck.

I took it back to show it to him, and in his mind, it looked just like that when he sold it to me.

When I sell one I would rather never see it again. My uncle bought a 78 Silverado 4X4 new, and sold it to another uncle later. The other uncle did a frame off on it. It was beautiful.

A kid in town got an insurance settlement and bought the truck for big money. Immediately started hauling hay and wood in it. It didn't bother my uncle as much as me. Luckily the kid totaled it soon after he bought it.

Build thread, Arkansas K10
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...=755797&page=5

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
davischevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 11:22 PM   #10
GOPAPA
"Tail Gate Best Seat In House"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68C15 View Post
I promised the old guy when I bought my truck that I would keep it in my family. Now, 16 years later I've sold it to my nephew. He promised to do the same
I like a promise kept ,,good for you

Quote:
Originally Posted by davischevy View Post
I bought a 72 Cheyenne super from the original owner once. I spent a ton of money and time restoring the truck.

I took it back to show it to him, and in his mind, it looked just like that when he sold it to me.

When I sell one I would rather never see it again. My uncle bought a 78 Silverado 4X4 new, and sold it to another uncle later. The other uncle did a frame off on it. It was beautiful.

A kid in town got an insurance settlement and bought the truck for big money. Immediately started hauling hay and wood in it. It didn't bother my uncle as much as me. Luckily the kid totaled it soon after he bought it.
I agree ..when I sell or trade in ,, I care less about who has it and where it is.. I just move on to what ever I buy next.. dont look back
Old 08-23-2017, 09:04 PM   #11
abig84

Quote:
Originally Posted by old Rusty C10 View Post
its a double edge sword I don't try to track them down usually because I know when I sell my truck, if someone customizes it to something I am not fond of I will regret selling it. My personal tastes are pretty close to stock. Within the last few years I bought a 71 monte carlo and the guy I got it from was a good friend of the executor of the original owners estate. He is a " stock" kind of car guy too. Ive restored the car with exception of they vynal roof ( went full hardtop) but went with original colors etc.. him I would show the car to because I know hed love to see it. The guy who died, he wouldn't let them sell this car until after he passed. If he were still alive and able to, im betting he would love to see it back to its glory
yeah thats kinda why i was wondering how it goes. i bought it as just a stock 1993 s10 blazer. the guy probably just used it to go to work and take the family places and spent a bit of money on it new im sure so seeing that its a mangled banged up old off road truck might actually make him not so happy lol.

cool stories though, thanks for sharing
abig84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 06:15 AM   #12
71sierragrande
Petroleum User

Dad bought mine from the original owner who lived up the road that he had known for many years. That was '99. Dad passed in '09 and the PO probably has too. Im sure his sons and grandsons would get a kick out of it. Me and dad didn't change a thing. YET!

1971 GMC Sierra Grande 2WD 1/2 ton, 350/400 auto
2008 Chevy Silverado 2WD 1/2 ton LT1 5.3L auto

Last edited by 71sierragrande; 08-24-2017 at 06:26 AM.
71sierragrande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 06:28 AM   #13
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by abig84 View Post
whats the story and how did it go? i would think it would be a good thing to do if you ever wanted to sell it, maybe the original owner would like it back.
I never have and the reason is stated above. I have had the opposite, the original owner tracking me down because they wanted it back. I didn't like being put in the position of being the bad guy who loves and cares for his truck for being unwilling to part with it just because someone decides years later they want the truck back that they decided to sell. I was made to feel like I shattered a dream for not playing along. I did take the info for when I ever would sell it, called years later, and this same person who about begged for the vehicle was no longer interested.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 08:07 PM   #14
Walkers52

Not real hard for me. Although I never met him, my wife's grandfather was the original owner of my truck
Walkers52 is offline   Reply With Quote