The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-03-2015, 11:37 AM   #1
Guy Dudebro

Trouble with hood hinge - need advice

I took off the hood of my 67 c10 to paint it. Putting everything back together, bolted on the hinges. Placed the hood on the hinges, bolted three bolts from the hinge to the hood. But the fourth one must have lost its nut. See pics below.
So the hood won't close all the way. I have to set a cinder block on the back passenger side of the hood to make the weight enough on the hinge to shut.

I tried putting a rubber well nut up there but that didn't work. Is there a way to get inside the hood, take off the mounting where the hinge attaches to the hood, and put another speed nut in there?

Any help is appreciated.
Attached Images

Guy Dudebro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 01:09 PM   #2
mechanicalman

Re: Trouble with hood hinge - need advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Dudebro View Post
Any help is appreciated.
First off, let's get that hood off and never prop it up like that again, that is one way to break those thread-nuts out.

I was trying to think of a sneaky way to fix that, like expanding anchors and such but I'm not sure how much clearance you have and it would be risky as the bolts would be long and you would have to be careful not to bottom out the bolt and put a big dent into the top of the hood. And not sure if you can get 3/8", and you would likely have to put a new one on every time you R&R the hood and that would create a lot of rattles.

You will probably have a rattle now with just one nut clanking around in there. I'm thinking you should take it to a body shop for repair and hope they don't mess up the paint.

I suppose you could cut a slot adjacent to that to install a large threaded clip? Maybe use that to fish out the rattle-nut?
mechanicalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 03:34 PM   #3
Guy Dudebro

OK. Thanks. I think maybe the nut fell out when I was moving the hood to paint. I'll try the anchor idea this weekend. Probably my best bet. Thanks for the help.
Guy Dudebro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 06:28 PM   #4
65standard

Mine wouldn't tighten up because the nuts inside were spinning. I just put about a 3/8" long weld bead in two spots to hold it. If needed later, I'll just use a cut-off wheel to remove the weld bead.

This was a super fast solution.

1953 Chevy 3100 392 Hemi w/727 & 9” Ford
1985 Chevy C/10 6.0L 4L80 373 locker
65standard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 09:09 AM   #5
Lanman1972

Search: Rivet Nut, i get mine from McMaster-Carr. Maybe someone in your area has the insert tool to borrow.
Attached Images

Lanman1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 09:33 AM   #6
71swb4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanman1972 View Post
Search: Rivet Nut, i get mine from McMaster-Carr. Maybe someone in your area has the insert tool to borrow.
I was going to post the same thing. I think a rivet nut is your answer.
Old 12-15-2017, 07:53 AM   #7
Grumpy old man

First off a rivnut isn't going to work there's just to much stress the hood will never close right again , the right way to fix it is to remove the hood and cut out the bad section and weld in another nut plate and touch up the paint after .

When scrapping front fenders I cut the fender hood hinge mounting sections off the junk fender and save them just to fix this situation you have here . welding in a replacement section under the hood shouldn't effect the paint on the top side . If you need a section with the nut to repair yours I have a bunch of them and can ship you one to help fix your issue .

You could just cut an access flap on the back of the hood hinge mounting area and get a nut and bolt in but it looks like the area where the hinge bolts to the hood is already stretched out of shape and it won't mount flush like it should .

theres a lot of stress in that area so a quick fix probably will leave you with a hood that just won't close and align right .

Many times you'll see where an access flap has been cut to get to those back nuts when they have come loose and you need to get the hood off. Grease those hood hinges .

Last edited by Grumpy old man; 12-15-2017 at 08:04 AM.
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote