The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-11-2019, 10:51 PM   #26
Killer Bee

Re: 72 C10 - BBC vs. LS - What would you do?

some of you guys are funny.. as if no one ever drove cross country 50 years ago without sitting on the side of the road

I drove old wore out GM V8s all over the country with no more trouble than anything else on the road at the time
Old 05-12-2019, 06:30 AM   #27
special-K
Special Order

I would look at your ultimate end use and go from there. Chose what you feel would be best for your 500-1,000 mile trips.

I have an extremely s....l....o....w moving '67 SWB project I too am building with spare parts. It is a old school build because that's what it's all about for me. If I want an LS-powered SWB I'll buy one that came with one. All these swaps going on just to have different sheet metal when you have it all with turn-key factory reliability either from a used truck costing not much more than the swap or a roll off the lot new truck that is truly modern. Chevy/GMC SWBs are and always have been super cool, with a crowd that follows.

Ok, back to my project. It will be an era, meaning '65-'75, mild custom hot truck. Nothing on it you wouldn't have seen on a truck when it was a few years old... same as back in the day. I'd like it to have a rake and 10" steelies on the rear, except I want to hit the rod runs, shows, and do general travel all over the country. I'll be retired before too terribly long and this will be my cool travel machine. So, I'll want to be able to do four or five tire rotations and I think a level drop will be more comfortable when driving all day. Next is the 327/M22 combo and I love gears with grunt. Although I intend to travel off the interstates whenever possible, I don't own an oil well and you can't avoid running on the interstates at times. So 4.10s (my favorite/and gears was where it was at in the day) are out. And since I'm compromising there, might as well skip 3.73s and go to 3.42s. 3.07s are too tall for the 4spd and have no pull. While I'd love to sneak a Gear Vendor unit under there, I'm not sure I can make that happen. 3.42s, IMO, are on the line where you can roll along well in straight drive or go with O/D and have the grunt to stay in O/D. So here I have this super cool rock crusher I can't wait to throw the shifter on, but realize I could get serious coin from a '65 Pontiac A body owner who needs it and slap a T-5 or Richmond 5spd in. Looking at my ultimate end use it would make sense to go O/D. Not that I haven't been running my trucks (8-lug/4.10s) down the interstate traveling interstate at a steady 75-80 all day long for as long as I can remember. To be honest, I don't drive that fast anymore, even with O/D. But all those trucks were built that way from factory. Building from the ground up I have a chance to built to better suit the use

In all this, my intent is to show how it is important to consider the ultimate use. If you don't share the passion for for the better days these trucks came from and want to run it out 10 or more hours a day and don't own your own oil well, the LS would seem the better choice. I would go with a 4.8 to get the greatest advantage from modernizing... way better fuel economy. Big blocks like fuel and are from a time when fuel cost 10% of what it does today

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 05-12-2019 at 06:35 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 07:21 PM   #28
332rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by notsolo View Post
It will take longer for an LS swap IMO...Biggest draw backs, electronics, computer and speedo related, dash retrofit. Some custom mods with power steering , ac compressor, and maybe some slight cutting for manifold clearance. Drive shaft. Electric fans, fuel tank electric fuel pump....Drive ablity is the big bonus, if you have the time and a decent donor ,motor trans, smooth nearly instant starting is nice. Plenty of help here when you need it.
Pretty much covered it don't forget the Tranmission crossmember
332rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 11:53 PM   #29
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72c20customcamper View Post
Go with the big block. I personally don't have a bb in my truck but I have one in my 66 ss chevelle. It's a mark Jones 467 540 hp . Holley avenger carb with 3.55 gears car will run all day at highway speeds and get 12 mpg. I did put in a roller cam so I can use any oil I chose.
That's the only modern upgrade.

love it when people say the new engines are more reliable. Well they are for the average owner who does or knows nothing about mechanics. I have more problems with my new vehicles than the older ones.

I bought these vehicles because they are old. And very easy to work on. I put 9k on my 72 last year . I did rebuild the transmission but that really was a choice more than a need. Slipped a little between 1 and 2nd . And who says these trucks can't run at 80 mph all day.
Winner......And Ochre & black is a thing of beauty...I'll be there someday
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s details such as OEM identifications& part numbers, written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 12:17 AM   #30
toolboxchev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Bee View Post
some of you guys are funny.. as if no one ever drove cross country 50 years ago without sitting on the side of the road

I drove old wore out GM V8s all over the country with no more trouble than anything else on the road at the time
Funny thing about my old truck. 389K on 2nd rebuild (total miles) the engine has not quit. Nor has givin me any problems specifically with the original motor. All the accessories and ancillary components have. Most of that is Lifetime Warranty products from major auto supply parts box stores.

Now if I were looking for a real cruiser, and if it were not a felony in this state to go over 100 I would definitely doing a 6.0 LS with the 4L60.

My truck today is capable of those speeds today, reliably, with the miles on it now. Been there years ago before the law changed. People would just $#(! seeing me coming up on them freeway style.
toolboxchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 01:14 AM   #31
Chevyland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Bee View Post

Nowadays
It’s
So much easier
All you need is a cell phone
And
AAA card
Attached Images

Chevyland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 09:34 AM   #32
rjs53

With LS swaps being so popular its hard not to put one in. I pulled the SBC out of my chevelle before I sold it, and the BBC out of my el camino when I sold it. My dilemma is why buy an LS when I have two perfectly good motors sitting here. Yet I'm gonna say go LS. I don't want the BBC in my truck, basically I think its to big and will make the truck handle like crap. Will do a burnout easy cause all the weight on the front end. The small block I have ran low elevens and a high ten on cool days, so I would have to do a cam change for sure. And at around $700+ for a cam and lifters I might as well go LS. It sounds like you've already made up your mind from your last post.
rjs53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 10:16 AM   #33
Heavymetl

I remember my first LS swap, which was into my 1984 Camaro. A bone stock 2002 LS1/T56, with a set of headers and a tune. The driving experience was so much different than any Gen 1 SBC I'd ever had I was instantly hooked. The throttle response, rpm range, smoothness, and pure power was just flat out impressive. If you go LS you're not just getting another engine with power and fuel economy, you're getting an entirely different driving feel.

I 100% vote LS. Nobody does it correctly and regrets the decision. However, the best advice I can give is throw the stock ECU in the garbage and go buy the new Holley Terminator X unit. For the price it can't be beat and will make your tuning career much more fun and accessible.
Moser 9" 3.25/4 wheel discs
11.16@121.07
Heavymetl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 10:24 AM   #34
Willys_MB

Well, no matter what you do, don't find a girlfriend or a wife until it's done, or it'll never get finished! Maybe more importantly, just don't get married. You can kiss this project goodbye if you do that!
Old 05-14-2019, 11:37 AM   #35
1971Stepside
Almost Satisfied

I wanted a big block for my 71. That was always the plan. I ended up going LS. The install and computer etc. was far more easy than I expected. I haven't gotten far enough to drive it yet, but I love that you touch the key and it fires. Either way, it's your truck and your dollars. Enjoy the crap out of it.
1971 C10 Stepside. LSx 6.0 with BTR Stage IV, Speed Engineering Headers, 4L80e transmission w/3200 Circle-D Stall. 3.73. Posi. Purchased this truck when I was 17. I started the rebuild (or take apart) in 1993. I have drug it around all over the country in pieces. Finally back on the road in 2021.

"I can't complain, but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far."
1971Stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 11:38 AM   #36
MySons68C20

[QUOTE=Willys_MB;8525395]Well, no matter what you do, don't find a girlfriend or a wife until it's done, or it'll never get finished! Maybe more importantly, just don't get married. You can kiss this project goodbye if you do that![/QUOTE

Must be your luck not mine!!! My wife has been 100% behind my truck project and the only thing she gripes about is "when is this thing gonna be done?"
4 1/2 years later it finally is.
MySons68C20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 12:20 PM   #37
Killer Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevyland View Post
Nowadays
It’s
So much easier
And
AAA card
LS swap for a flat tire? now that's stretchin it a bit

I have used my AAA card for a flat in my '74 C20..

RF blowout threw molding punctured RR

had to call, only carried one spare
Old 05-14-2019, 12:25 PM   #38
Minkota

Personally, I bought a Classic Truck because I wanted to drive and work on a Classic Truck. I already have a modern Truck with an LS installed. I feel part of owning the Classic Truck is the look and sound of the old school engine, but that is my personal preference.
Minkota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 12:29 PM   #39
Minkota

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willys_MB View Post
Well, no matter what you do, don't find a girlfriend or a wife until it's done, or it'll never get finished! Maybe more importantly, just don't get married. You can kiss this project goodbye if you do that!
Sounds like he knows a guy that this happened too....
Old 05-14-2019, 12:58 PM   #40
70STOVEBOLT

[quote=MySons68C20;8525423]
Quote:
Well, no matter what you do, don't find a girlfriend or a wife until it's done, or it'll never get finished! Maybe more importantly, just don't get married. You can kiss this project goodbye if you do that![/QUOTE

Must be your luck not mine!!! My wife has been 100% behind my truck project and the only thing she gripes about is "when is this thing gonna be done?"
4 1/2 years later it finally is.
My wife's only beef is that she has to park outside. She wants her garage space back.

Owner installed options:
Front Sway Bar
Power Steering
Power Brakes
Cigar Lighter
Courtesy Lights
Deluxe Side Markers
Wiper Delay
Power windows
Power Locks
Sniper EFI

2015 Silverado 1500 LS 4.3/6L80/3.23 lowered 2" front & rear
70STOVEBOLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 01:02 PM   #41
Minkota

[quote=70STOVEBOLT;8525475]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MySons68C20 View Post

My wife's only beef is that she has to park outside. She wants her garage space back.
Same here, but I blame the Insurance Company as they require it be "Garage Kept"
Old 05-14-2019, 03:01 PM   #42
57taskforce
All about them K’s

Ls for me. I like big blocks, I’ve had a few big blocks, still have one. As said above the ls is a whole other driving experience. Sure the old stuff is easy to work on, the new stuff is actually pretty simple too in a slightly different way. Performance wise, I have more fun driving the 6.2 in my camaro than Most anything I’ve ever driven. VVT is a wonderful thing. If it’s a survivor truck that only needs an engine and everything else is original, sure I’d put the big block in it in a heart beat. Same goes if it’s a truck that is being restored factory, old small block or big block all the way. If it’s a truck that’s already got some mods done to it, LS all the way. My K20 has a 6.0 waiting to go in when I get to that point of my build. With a cam and maybe even a little boost it’s going to be a fun truck.
‘69 K10 SWB http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=805206
'98 Silverado LT K2500HD ECLB Vortec 454/4l80E: 6" lift 315/75/16's
‘87 IROC-Z all original 50K mile survivor TPI 305 IROC Blue
‘10 Camaro 2SS/RS Aqua Blue Metallic #93 -version 2.0
57taskforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 07:38 AM   #43
Ironangel

Old School all the way... https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater
Attached Images

71 C/50 Grain Truck, 350 Split-Axle 4-Speed
02 3/4 ton Express
14 Indian Chief Vintage
1952 Ford 8N, "Only Ford Allowed On The Property"
"Be American, Buy American"
Ironangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 10:54 PM   #44
71chevswb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevyland View Post
Nowadays
It’s
So much easier
And
AAA card

sweet k10 shorty! in my favorite color too.... drool..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavymetl View Post
I remember my first LS swap, which was into my 1984 Camaro. A bone stock 2002 LS1/T56, with a set of headers and a tune. The driving experience was so much different than any Gen 1 SBC I'd ever had I was instantly hooked. The throttle response, rpm range, smoothness, and pure power was just flat out impressive. If you go LS you're not just getting another engine with power and fuel economy, you're getting an entirely different driving feel.

I 100% vote LS. Nobody does it correctly and regrets the decision. However, the best advice I can give is throw the stock ECU in the garbage and go buy the new Holley Terminator X unit. For the price it can't be beat and will make your tuning career much more fun and accessible.
thanks for your input, drive-ability is key on this one.

Quote:
This is actually something I have already thought about and is of concern!!
71chevswb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 12:35 AM   #45
68bowtie

These conversations are funny. It’s like the “do I need 4-bolt mains”. Lots of different (and valid) perspectives. The answer is IT DEPENDS! The guys saying LS aren’t saying no one could ever drive a big block cross country. I guarantee you if I built an engine it wouldn’t get me cross country regardless of what type it was... lol!

Project "Little Sister" (70 c10 blue original paint refresh)
Project "C10 Fever" (68 factory black 396 swb)
Project "Blue Bomb" (70 c30 blue original paint refresh)
Project "Vitamin C" (71 c10 orange original paint refresh)
68bowtie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 12:45 AM   #46
71chevswb

well folks... I think I need to stick to my first thought of an LS swap.. i regret not doing in LS in the last one. I have plenty of other projects that can remain original/old school.this build is for daily driving!

now, where to source a 5.3 or 6.0? Best computer management system? Does anybody keep the cylinder deactivation feature on these builds? Recently drove a 2019 yukon with a 5.3. got 23 mpg and has some decent pep! Amazing drive-ability.
71chevswb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 03:32 PM   #47
57taskforce
All about them K’s

Ditch the AFM. The deactivation lifters are weaker than the standard lifters and have a bit of a reputation for being problematic/failing. If it was me I’d look for a 6.0, if you could find an LY6 or similar you get LS3/L99 heads which are really free flowing and you get vvt which will give you a flat torque curve through out the rpm range. Any of the Gen 4 motors are good, they’ve got heavier rods and a few other enhancements. That said the lQ4 and other gen 3 motors are still excellent choices. A lot of it will come down to what you want to spend. And if you want to build it up for a little more power or leave it stock.
‘69 K10 SWB http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=805206
'98 Silverado LT K2500HD ECLB Vortec 454/4l80E: 6" lift 315/75/16's
‘87 IROC-Z all original 50K mile survivor TPI 305 IROC Blue
‘10 Camaro 2SS/RS Aqua Blue Metallic #93 -version 2.0

Last edited by 57taskforce; 05-17-2019 at 02:39 PM.
57taskforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 10:52 AM   #48
Heavymetl

Get the Holley EFI.

I'd rather have the lowliest 2000 300k mile 4.8 with Holley than the latest 6.2 using the stock ECU.
Moser 9" 3.25/4 wheel discs
11.16@121.07
Heavymetl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 12:16 PM   #49
Daaaanz67

LS and never look back.
Daaaanz67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 12:59 PM   #50
69gmcc10

I want to make a new suggestion since my first suggestion failed. 8.1 with an Allison... you get a big block with modern injection and a 5 or 6 speed trans.

03 Silverado build thread-http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=591582
69gmcc10 is offline   Reply With Quote