The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-12-2019, 12:51 AM   #1
Zenwren

An idea for an in-tank fuel pump with tank in cab

I was toying with the idea of putting an efi kit on my '50 3100 and one of the big hangups I ran into was the fuel pump. I found nothing but terrible reviews about in-line pumps overheating and leaving you stranded and obviously didn't want an in-tank pump whirring away inside the cab. I also didn't like the idea of moving my fuel filler or spare tire.

So here's my crazy idea...
Mount a small 2-3 gal fuel cell in the frame below the cab, have your high pressure pump and sender installed in that. The factory tank will connect directly to this smaller tank with gravity/siphon feeding it. An air bleeder would probably be needed in the smaller tank, but should only need to be done once as long as you don't run it out of fuel. The return would (I think) run back into the factory tank.

It's basically the same as the underhood fuel pump modules that the aftermarket sells, but doesn't rely on the mechanical fuel pump to supply it. Am I crazy or would this work?
Zenwren is offline   Reply With Quote