The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-12-2003, 09:26 PM   #1
Mdapperdan
Account Suspended

Conversion

Has anyone ever seen or has done a swap from 4-wheel to 2-wheel conversion on a 4-wheel Blaser. I'm unable to 4-wheel anymore due to health problems. (bad Back), I have a complete front supension. (2-wheel,) I was hoping that It could be bolted in place of the straight axel?
Thanks Dan
Mdapperdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2003, 11:01 PM   #2
tr-acer

it does not bolt in. there is a few things you need to do. there is a idler arm that needs to be moved. the steering box on a 4wd is further back so you have to measure off the difference in the two to properly mount the idler arm. the crossmember in front of the engine ( there the brake proporting thing is) needs to be replaced with the 2wd one. im sure you know the steering box needs to be replaced. o yea i have only found 4 holes that line up with the 2wd crossmember. so there will have to be alot of holes drilled. im actually working on one of these right now when i have free time.
tr-acer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2003, 11:02 PM   #3
ItsNotABlazer
The full convertible guy

A friend of mine did this swap back in the 80s on a late 70s Blazer. He went from having not sure how much lift and 44's one weekend to being slammed the next. He did not tell anyone he was doing and just drove into town with it slammed. Needless to say we did not believe him when he told us it was the same truck that was sitting on 44s the weekend before. Sorry I cannot give any specifics on what has to be done but yes it can be done.

Brad
1975 GMC Jimmy 2WD lowered 4/6
1972 Chevy Trazer soon to be roadster
1965 Mustang 289/3 speed (friends dad bought it new)
1964 Chevy C10 (dad bought it new)
ItsNotABlazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2003, 06:18 PM   #4
BowTieMan

I was thinking about the same thing. In Arizona I dont see too many 2wd. Alot of 4x4 though. So everything doesn't bolt into different holes in the frame? Aren't all blazer frames the same?
"A true hotrodder wouldn't be content untill he had created a car so violent, so hairy, so totally sick that the very act of dropping the hammer would result in instant death. Anything less results in the need to go faster." - Tony DeFeo
BowTieMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2003, 12:12 AM   #5
mutant-jimbo

Quote:
Originally posted by BowTieMan
I was thinking about the same thing. In Arizona I dont see too many 2wd. Alot of 4x4 though. So everything doesn't bolt into different holes in the frame? Aren't all blazer frames the same?
maybe for the same years, but a 73-77 blazer frame is differant than a new one. because of the floorboards
Old 12-28-2003, 06:45 PM   #6
BowTieMan

Does it have to be blazer? Will say a 78 pickup fit a 78 blazer? Both half ton.
"A true hotrodder wouldn't be content untill he had created a car so violent, so hairy, so totally sick that the very act of dropping the hammer would result in instant death. Anything less results in the need to go faster." - Tony DeFeo
BowTieMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2003, 07:41 PM   #7
mutant-jimbo

blazers are theyre own beast, the frames are differant than trucks. all the front end parts will work with the correct year trucks/burbans, but the frames are differant
Old 12-28-2003, 10:10 PM   #8
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

My cousin converted a couple of Blazers from 4WD to 2WD. Seems like one was a 79, and the other was an 81 or 82. He said he measured from the front body mount, and sectioned in the front section of the frame. The frame from a pickup will work. Remember, the front frame sections are different 73-80 and 81-later. The bumper brackets made into the end of the horns are different.
Old 12-29-2003, 08:42 PM   #9
K5 Blazer
Blazerologist

We just did one conversion and threw in a Big Block and TH400. A little drilling, re-mounted trans crossmember, new drive shaft, used 2wd steering box, used 12 bolt - flipped it and Bell Tech up front. All parts came from a donner 75 Suburban Big Block half ton? Definitely works out when you have the other veh. there . . .

Good Luck,
Abe
Old 12-29-2003, 10:49 PM   #10
mutant-jimbo

having the donor there is better than a chilton and a poloroid, huh?