The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-26-2013, 10:53 AM   #26
54belair

Re: My grandsons 68 stepper

May '13 update:

I finally got the cab finished (?), at least the fab work is done and the cab is in the first coat of epoxy primer. After the epoxy has cured awhile Ill lightly sand it and apply the 2K primer----to the cab and the rest of the body.

The seats were kind of a pill to install. Since the seat belts are built in to the seats I wanted a heavy duty mount on the seats. I used some 2x4 square tubing. The seats had uneven mounting rails requiring a 4" higher mount on the inside of the seats. (probably woudnt suggest using these----but they do look good!!)

The engine is supposed to be done the first of June--but then it was supposed to be back two weeks ago too!!!

Next step is to do the last fitting of the doors, then remove them and sand and epoxy them. I have a punch list and a work schedule laid out (we'll see how that works). If all goes well with the project and my work schedule, I should have the truck in paint and the drive line installed and fitted by the end of october. That will leave me all winter to assemble, wet sand and buff, assemble the interior, wire etc. The bed wood and wheels and tires will be the last thing, prob. early next spring. Sure sounds like a good plan!!!
Attached Images

1966 chevelle ss

Dont always go the cheapest route--You can save yourself into the poorhouse!
My Build Thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489030
54belair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 07:16 PM   #27
silvertip67

great job...looking forward to seeing the finals...t

'55 Chevrolet 3100 w/ 235 il6(Powermaster)
'63 Chevrolet 1/2 ton 250 il6
'65 Chevrolet 1/2 ton 283 V8
silvertip67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 10:47 PM   #28
54belair

Thanks,---me too!!! I did get the doors fitted this week, it turned out easier than I thought since both A posts had been cut out and replaced. Also got the interior sides of doors sanded and in epoxy and a trip to the paint store for a gal. of 2k primer. Now a summer time of spraying and intense block sanding.
1966 chevelle ss

My Build Thread
Old 06-30-2013, 08:52 PM   #29
54belair

Since the last pics:
I finally got my engine back from the builder. The second engine I bought ended up being near junk. Crank had to be turned and since the rotating assy had been previously balanced, I had them rebalance. I replaced the alum. roller rockers (high priced junk) with original equip stamped steel rockers. Valve springs were mis matched and junk--so they went. We put in a new cam, rockers, pushrods, oil pump, all new bngs and rings.
Block was cleaned and new cam bngs and freeze plugs----basically everything except rods and pistons were replaced.
It took him forever to get it done so he called saying it was near done and because it took so long he would paint the engine any color I wanted (?). I told I wanted it candy apple red----did he have that in something that would last? He said his paint survives high temp and the abuse that a dirt track engine sees.
I took some pics of the engine as I brought it home but the color doesnt show up accurately---it is a very nice candy apple red. He gave me enough of the paint to paint the bellhousing and water pump.

Also managed to get the inner fenders blocked and sprayed along with the core support. The color of these is a metallic charcoal---in the pics they look kinda rough---but they are actually pretty slick-----Im also including a pic of my painting assistant. He cant wait till he gets to spray the color on the body!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! maybe not !
Attached Images

1966 chevelle ss

My Build Thread
Old 06-30-2013, 11:12 PM   #30
68GMCCustom
Truck and auto performance nut

sounds like the story on my truck. Has complete mechanical upgrade, with fuel injected LSx power. Its my toy now, but its been bequeathed to my grandson, who will be 3 in about a week.

'68 GMC short step - NIB '09 LY6 6.0L crate motor w/mods, NIB '12 crate 4L85e w/billet 3k stall Circle D, 3.73 posi 12 bolt, DynaTech f-swap headers, 3/4 drop, handling mods, etc. - my toy
'72 Chevy LWB C-10 Highlander - 350/350 ps/pb/tilt/ac - not original but close
'06 Chevy TrailBlazerSS - LS2/4L70e - little black hot rod SUV - my DD
'18 Kia Sorento - wife's econo-driver
'95 Chevy S10 - reg cab shortbed, LS, 4.3, auto...

my '68's powertrain and chassis build -links broken
A surprise phase - carb to efi -links broken
68GMCCustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 02:15 PM   #31
54belair

68GMCCustom,, I like your truck!!

I havent had time to read your complete build yet--but I will.
Mine didnt start out to be as complete a rebuild as it turned out--but once you get started there seems to be no stoping! I initially told my family that I was going to either tighten, loosen or remove and replace every nut bolt and screw on the truck. At the time I was exxagerating---or thought I was. As it turned out that was the complete truth---nothing has been left untouched (and I hope improved). Most everything on the truck is sort of old school except the aftermarket heat and air.
Im going to have to keep the truck till I die---I know what will probably happen when I give it to my grandson---and I dont want to see it!!!!

Thanks for your post----it gave me another interesting build to read.
1966 chevelle ss

My Build Thread
Old 07-02-2013, 11:11 AM   #32
jlsanborn

I'm signed up for this one! You've obviously done a little of this stuff before. Looks really nice and professionally done. Great work!
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=471776
jlsanborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 02:55 PM   #33
68GMCCustom

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54belair View Post
68GMCCustom,, I like your truck!!

I havent had time to read your complete build yet--but I will.
Mine didnt start out to be as complete a rebuild as it turned out--but once you get started there seems to be no stoping! I initially told my family that I was going to either tighten, loosen or remove and replace every nut bolt and screw on the truck. At the time I was exxagerating---or thought I was. As it turned out that was the complete truth---nothing has been left untouched (and I hope improved). Most everything on the truck is sort of old school except the aftermarket heat and air.
Im going to have to keep the truck till I die---I know what will probably happen when I give it to my grandson---and I dont want to see it!!!!

Thanks for your post----it gave me another interesting build to read.
Thanks '54. I must admit I've tossed around the idea of what he'll do with it when he gets it back and forth and am not sure if he'll be a 18yr old HS grad or 21 before he gets it...and that may have a lot to do with how much power the motors capable of! That said, my feeling is he'll have his hands on it enough from now till then that he'll truly "baby it" when he gets it. I hope.

'68 GMC short step - NIB '09 LY6 6.0L crate motor w/mods, NIB '12 crate 4L85e w/billet 3k stall Circle D, 3.73 posi 12 bolt, DynaTech f-swap headers, 3/4 drop, handling mods, etc. - my toy

Old 07-02-2013, 08:55 PM   #34
54belair

Good thinking Man, thats what Im doing--Im getting him involved with working on it. He doesnt know just yet that he is "helping" me with body parts that Im not using----even so--Im letting him get his hands on it. My Biggest problem though isnt my grandson---its my grand daughter! She is actually a 6 yr old "princess" that loves to help me in the shop-----and unlike my grandson, she will stay with me working All Day! So, back to my problem----What to build for her, And because of my age (66), Ive got to build her something pretty soon----while I can still rmember what Im doing!!! Then it will have to sit for years till she grows into it!
1966 chevelle ss

My Build Thread
Old 07-02-2013, 10:15 PM   #35
68GMCCustom

I know what my daughter wants......a 1st or 2nd gen K5 4x4 with the fully removable top. Its on my project list.

Old 07-04-2013, 12:59 PM   #36
54belair

Got a little more done this week (along with all the honey-do's).
I was going to install all accessories on the engine before installation--but couldnt wait!
I knew I was going to have some issues with rear motor (transmission) mounts and clutch linkage issues.

I bought the ECE crossmember--used for automatics and the rubber mount knowing that I would still have an "opportunity" to overcome. Basically, I have to fab a 7/8" high spacer. Easier than I thought it would be.

I also bought two sets of clutch linkage, not knowing which I would need (one cross shaft if longer than the other).
Im still not sure which linkage is out of what original application---but, as long as I can make one of them work!! Ill have to use the shorter one along with a ball stud screwed directly into the block. I may start a separate thread asking about the original applications for what I have. The pics still dont show the true color of the engine

Since I had to order more clutch linkage pieces and parts and with it being the 4th of july (wont be able to get the alum. spacer started today), guess Ill get back to Sanding-----Will it ever end??
Attached Images

1966 chevelle ss

My Build Thread
Old 07-12-2013, 09:07 PM   #37
54belair

Managed to get the clutch linkage figured out, installed and the crossmember located and bolted in. Im glad I decided to go with the Ram horn headers--the old tube headers wouldnt have worked with the clutch bellcrank.

Other than getting the engine installed Ive spent the last week sanding epoxy--re spraying epoxy--then shooting the 2K high build. Ive got the interior ready to shoot red, the rear fenders sanded and ready for color as well as the tailgate and grille. Stupid tailgate is a real time eater when it comes to sanding!!

I wonder if sanding helps you become better with Karate? (remember-"wax on--wax off"?)
Attached Images

1966 chevelle ss

My Build Thread
Old 07-26-2013, 11:51 AM   #38
54belair

Just another update.
first of all Im not even going to try to upload any pics right now! but thought Id just update on the build.

I have about half of the body blocked and ready for color. Last week I brought the hood out of storage to get it ready----My biggest heartbreak so far------As I was placing the hood on a rack to sand the epoxy, I noticed a short hairline crack in the epoxy on the leading edge. A few minutes and some fingernail poking and I had a crack about 16" long on one side of the peak. I got out the sanding disc and ground the epoxy off the edge-----------bummer, I found that what I had suspected was just some surface glazing last year was indeed putty filling holes in the edge.

I have spent a week searching and buying hoods (none as nice as what I had, as far as tightness and shape) And Ive spent about 5 hours so far cutting and welding in new metal on the leading edge. Ive got about another 10" of metal to weld in-----then Ill actually see if I can save this hood. Its gonna take a lot of grinding, smoothing and prob. some filling------and I still dont know if I can save it and make it look good (because one side of the weld is right at the leading edge. Its got to look perfect or I wont use it)
So far Ive bought three hoods and Im still hoping my original hood can be saved.

I have also found out some good info: There is only one manufacturer of 67-68 aftermarket hoods--and their quality is sooo bad that many retailers are dropping the product. Original hoods are the only way to go------and finding a good one is tough!!!

Second thing I found out is that everyone these days has a barritt jackson mentality. If they own it---it is perfect and worth its weight in Gold!! My criteria in looking for a hood was "it has to have no dents and no rust in the leading edge" The first call I made and the first hood I looked at--------I was told it was a nice hood "no dents or rust" I got there, the hood had a crease in the leading edge, a dent on the side edge And, the best of all---- a bullitt hole in the slope!!! the explanation was Just weld up the holes and putty the dents!!!!!! Thank you very much for a lesson in body work-and good bye!!
1966 chevelle ss

My Build Thread

Last edited by 54belair; 07-26-2013 at 12:00 PM.
Old 07-31-2013, 09:37 PM   #39
502ms

Looking good! Wish you all the best in getting it done!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-01-2013, 02:04 PM   #40
54belair

Thanks Leon,

I gave up for now on my original hood--I flipped it over and found holes and weak spots in the slope---so, after 10 hrs of labor on the original, I put it in storage for now and started working on the best replacement hood that I found.
After about 6.5 hours so far, I have the replacement hood fixed, sanded to metal, epoxy-ed both sides, 1st coat of 2K is on and blocked, the second coat is on and waiting final sanding--(had to mow the yard and do some Honey-do's first)-she ought to be as straight as glass and just as smooth by the end of today.
1966 chevelle ss

My Build Thread
Old 09-27-2013, 07:51 PM   #41
54belair

Another Update from paint prison----9/27/13

Its been a long two months--been working and out of town an awful lot, but the good news is that Everything but the Cab is blocked and waiting--- I have the cab partially sanded--now Ill switch to 600 grit, sand it again and Finally be ready for paint--next week.
The weather report is good, the temp and humidity should be where I need them. I dis assembled the rotissary today and got it out of the way. Ill spend prod. two days cleaning the shop, moving the chassis out side, etc.
Ive been working toward this now for almost two years. The short term goal (for now) is to get it painted, cut and buffed before cold weather. Then Ive got the rest of my life to put it back together (seems like)!! Still planning shows and road trips next summer.
Im going to take another series of pics tomorrow and try to get them posted this weekend.

I divided this project up into three sections. section one was tear down and getting the body initially prepped. Section two is the final body prep and paint. Section three will be finishing off the paint and re-assembly of everything. Everytime I do any sort of project I learn many new things--- this time, Im starting to think that what Ive learned is that Im too old to be doing this!!!!!!
1966 chevelle ss

My Build Thread
Old 10-13-2013, 12:34 PM   #42
54belair

10/12/13

I finally got around to taking a few pics of the paint job. Last time I tried to post pics it wouldnt upload----Ill try again. Ill try one pic at a time.
These pics are just after the paint job. We will be wet sanding and buffing in about another week. I say "we" because I have inlisted the help of a bodyman friend of mine----so, how ever much better it turns out--the credit will be his!!
This was the toughest paint job Ive ever tackled-----everything paints!! And,, I still have some small brackets, bolt heads, etc. to paint.
The paint looks very plain indoors, but in the sun the metallic and pearl pop a little. I settled on a Mazda color called Red Fire.
The truck has been stripped to bare metal, given a coat of epoxy (last year), then this year when I was ready, all the epoxy was sanded smooth, given another coat of epoxy then almost every thing got two coats of 2k primer--block sanded thin between coats. The red took two coats, followed by 3 or 4 coats of clear.
Attached Images

1966 chevelle ss

My Build Thread

Last edited by 54belair; 10-13-2013 at 12:51 PM. Reason: add pics
Old 10-13-2013, 01:01 PM   #43
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

Looking great!!! You're on the down hill side now

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 06:41 PM   #44
gdavis

I like the color. i am painting mine kubota orange. Can't wait to see it in color.

Cars I owned in the past.
1962 chev II Nova - 1965 Chevelle SS - (2)1966 Chevelle SS 1965 chev C10 57 belair chev
1967 Chevelle SS - 1969 Chevelle SS - 1972 Chevelle SS

1967 Buick electra 225 1995 Harley Davidson bager

What does not kill you will make you stronger

1968 c10 short wheel base stepper
gdavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 12:33 PM   #45
67ctener

Beautiful paint. I can relate to hood problems, I looked for 6 months before I came across one in nice shape.
90 k2500
91 s10
#chevyonly
67ctener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 05:14 PM   #46
jlsanborn

WOW I missed a couple updates there! Looks great! I'm still wrestling the bell-crank and exhaust issue in my mind. Hell bent on running headers. We'll see. Bummer about the hood. Hope you can fix what you have.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=471776
jlsanborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 06:27 PM   #47
54belair

jlsanborn,

I believe sanderson makes a header that will work with a manual (I think). The hood issue worked out after I bought another one!! LOL Now I have two spares--But then I also have three spare 4 speeds too! Ill have to start my own auto parts store one day.
1966 chevelle ss

My Build Thread
Old 10-18-2013, 06:33 PM   #48
Xeen

The paint looks very nice, great job!
Old 10-18-2013, 08:00 PM   #49
twotrucks

Paint is looking awesome; what brand paint products are you using?
twotrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 09:27 PM   #50
54belair

Everything I used, epoxy, 2K primer, base, clear, reducers, were all PPG shopline. The shopline paints and clears are almost half the price of ppg's first line products.
1966 chevelle ss

My Build Thread