The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-17-2013, 12:47 AM   #1
SilverMiner

Suburban Factory roof rack - differences???

Howdy, folks.

Sadly, my 1980 Suburban did not come with the optional factory chrome roof rack. Why sadly? Well, I kinda like em. In fact, I think I really like them. I think they are the perfect complement to the biggest station wagon that Detroit ever made.

There must be HUNDREDS of threads out on the internet where fellas describe the custom roof racks that they have built, and I've read dozens and dozens of them. But I still haven't seen one that looks classy enough to belong on the roof of my Burb. Sure, they're probably vastly more practical, but looks count as much to me as utility. I don't intend to load up a ton of "expedition gear", but I do intend to transport a canoe or two.

So, I'm going to begin a hunt to acquire a factory roof rack. Can anyone give me guidance whether or not there were any differences in the nearly 20 year run from 1973 to 1991 for the optional chrome racks that I might be lucky enough to find either in a junkyard, craigslist, or here on the classified forum? Odds are I'm more likely to find an 81-91 rack rather than a 73-75, but I'd still like to know if there are meaningful differences.

I'd even entertain thoughts of picking up a 90's to mid 2000's black rack, but I still think the chrome look is more appropriate.

Don't you?

Thanks for your input