The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-14-2013, 12:32 AM   #1
Keepitcoastal

200-4r problems and questions

Have afew questions about this transmission. Does this transmission require a special type of auto tranny fluid??

Also in the morning I will post a picture of the geometry of the TCI edelbrock carb bracket and linkage relocator I bought. it just dosent seem right to me. Has a bad angle makes the plastic tv linkage peice want to pop off at Wot. Tranny shifts okay and is fine for cruising but is slipping when given any real power.

It's filled with regular oriellys automatic transmission fluid at the moment
Keepitcoastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 12:35 AM   #2
cableguy0

Re: 200-4r problems and questions

It takes dex 3. If its slipping under power I would pull the unit out and send it back to the builder.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 12:36 AM   #3
storm9c1
*** That's interesting ***

What do you mean by "regular" ??? A "Dexron III" spec (or newer) should be just fine.
2011 Chevy Caprice PPV 9C3 6.0L
1995 Chevy Caprice 9C1
1994 Chevy Caprice 9C1 #3
1995 Chevy Caprice Wagon #2
1995 Chevy Impala SS
Mopar by night...
1969 Dodge Charger
1972 Chrysler Newport 2dr Hardtop (27K miles)

Plus others...
storm9c1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 12:43 AM   #4
Keepitcoastal

It's dex3 fluid in there...

Sadly no builder for this transmission, yet anyway. Came from craigslist with an engine I bought. Came extra for free so I can't really be mad. Looks like I will be putting the th350 back under and send this to a local shop for a rebuild.

Figured it was worth a shot. The engine and transmission came from a car his friend had apparently totaled so after it passed a visual inspection figured I'd hook it all up

Idk how he was going fast enough to total the damn car if the thing slips given any real torque
Old 12-15-2013, 02:29 PM   #5
Keepitcoastal

Can sombody post pics of how there tci relocator setup looks? It's stupid to me I bought an edelbrock specific carb setup that needs tons of modifications to work?!? Wtf is that? Just make a freaking universal one...

Here's how the tci gear wants to work on its own.

That nice angle makes the tv cable pop off the linkage if Im playing with Wot

Old 12-15-2013, 06:15 PM   #6
Keepitcoastal

Anybody?
Old 12-15-2013, 06:46 PM   #7
cadillac_al

That linkage is all screwed up. It doesn't look like the right one to me. The pin (?) for the trans cable is usually an inch or so below the throttle lever pivot. Yours looks like it's about even with the pivot and swings around the pivot; screwed up. And it sticks out too far, as you must have already noticed, putting it at a bad angle. I can post a pic of my simple set up tomorrow later in the day when I get done plowing and shoveling. Somebody will probably beat me to it anyway which is fine by me. My simple setup was on it when I got it and I planned to upgrade it somehow but so far it has been working fine. It is just a couple bolts and a few nuts in the original gold lever; no extra lever or adapter.
77 Chevy K10
cadillac_al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 06:46 PM   #8
Bigdav160

All I can say is "no wonder you have problems"

That is the wrong combination of parts. Something like this
'73 Z-28 Camaro
'63 Ford SWB Uni Pickup
'50 Ford Coupe
Bigdav160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 06:54 PM   #9
Keepitcoastal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdav160 View Post
All I can say is "no wonder you have problems"

That is the wrong combination of parts. Something like this
Wtf!!

I specifically ordered tci relocation bracket for edlebrock carb and 200-4r transmission from TCI directly!

In looking at my receipt now and it says I ordered the parts I needed.
Old 12-15-2013, 07:00 PM   #10
Keepitcoastal

Can sombody please post more pictures of the brackets they got from tci? And how they have them setup. This is just stupid. I knew there was somthing wrong with the mount as soon as I put it on. It just didn't line up right.

The bag the bracket was packaged in had a sticker on that says edelbrock relocater kit for 700r4 and 2004r transmissions
Old 12-15-2013, 07:04 PM   #11
Keepitcoastal

This transmission is getting pulled and rebuilt anyway so I guess it's just whatever. But I defiantly want to get to the bottom of if I got the wrong parts or just installed them wrong?
Old 12-15-2013, 07:12 PM   #12
67swb72klb

some more info dont drive it anymore till you get the cable right
it must pull in a straight line

http://www.ckperformance.com/resourc...CALMANUAL.html
SUBJECT: Proper installation of the throttle valve cable on after-market carburetors or fuel injections. This information applies to all 700R4, 4L60 and 200-4R transmissions. Throttle valve cable adjustment instructions, numbers 4, 5 and 6.
#1. The button that the cable hooks to at the carburetor or throttle body must have a 1 and 3/32-inch radius from the center of the throttle shaft to the center of the button the cable hooks to.
#2. Looking at the throttle shaft lever from the left side at idle position, 33% of the throttle lever total travel must be to the rear of the throttle shaft centerline. And at wide-open throttle, 67% to the front of the throttle shaft centerline. This will be about ½-inch to the rear and 1 inch to the front of the throttle shaft centerline.

#3. The throttle valve cable must be hooked up in this manner so the pressure will rise faster off idle and slow down at heavy throttle. If the pressure cable is pulled in a more even manner the pressure will be too low at light throttle. Failure to hook-up the throttle cable in this way will burn the three-four clutch pack up fast.

#4. The throttle valve cable controls transmission pressure. Adjusting this cable is the most important step when installing a 700R4, 4L60 or 200-4R transmission.

#5. The final step is to adjust the throttle valve cable. The cable must be adjusted so it is pulled fully out at wide-open throttle. To make sure disconnect the cable, hold the throttle wide open with your left hand, pull the cable fully out with your right hand and see if the cable end lines up with the button on the throttle lever. The cable should also be pulled out 3/8 to 1/2 of an inch at idle.
Old 12-15-2013, 07:19 PM   #13
Keepitcoastal

It's not getting driven at all. I'm just going to pull this transmission because from my understanding regardless of how off this tv cable is the fact that is slips everytime it gets any real power is a clear indication I needs a rebuild.

What I'm trying to understand is why I spend money on a a ****ing kit to correct the geometry but its way off. Looking at this bracket and those pictures. To get it where I need it Im better off just making my own bracket
Old 12-15-2013, 07:27 PM   #14
Keepitcoastal

Can you explain this a little more?

I'm not quite understanding you

33% of the throttle lever total travel must be to the rear of the throttle shaft centerline. And at wide-open throttle, 67% to the front of the throttle shaft centerline
Old 12-15-2013, 07:30 PM   #15
clinebarger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepitcoastal View Post
Wtf!!

I specifically ordered tci relocation bracket for edlebrock carb and 200-4r transmission from TCI directly!

In looking at my receipt now and it says I ordered the parts I needed.
Your TV cable bracket is for a Edelbrock Quadra-Jet or Stock Quadra-Jet.
You have Edelbrock AFB.....You have the wrong mounting bracket!

If you want something that works right....Look at this.... http://www.bowtieoverdrives.com/cata...php?ITEMID=213
clinebarger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 07:55 PM   #16
Keepitcoastal

This is the exact part number and page I ordered from. Even has that part number on my order confirmation.
http://www.tciauto.com/tc/tv-cable-c...arburetorhtml/
Nowhere on that page does it say its for a quadrajet! It just says edelbrock carburetor.

I don't want to be the one to point fingers because obviously Im capable of mistakes myself but look at that page and tell me if you think this is my fault or not? I don't see why I'm gonna have to bite the 100 dollar bullet on this because they don't detail there discriptions well enough.
Or furthermore how about the chance of permenant damage to a transmission all because they didn't detail there discriptions to say which series of edelbrock carb it's for. Also the picture for what I ordered is diffrent than what I received. I will be calling tci when they open tomorrow

Last edited by Keepitcoastal; 12-15-2013 at 08:02 PM.
Old 12-15-2013, 08:01 PM   #17
Keepitcoastal

Old 12-15-2013, 08:49 PM   #18
Keepitcoastal

Here's my truck btw

Old 12-15-2013, 09:01 PM   #19
clinebarger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepitcoastal View Post
This is the exact part number and page I ordered from. Even has that part number on my order confirmation.
Nowhere on that page does it say its for a quadrajet! It just says edelbrock carburetor.

I don't want to be the one to point fingers because obviously Im capable of mistakes myself but look at that page and tell me if you think this is my fault or not? I don't see why I'm gonna have to bite the 100 dollar bullet on this because they don't detail there discriptions well enough.
Or furthermore how about the chance of permenant damage to a transmission all because they didn't detail there discriptions to say which series of edelbrock carb it's for. Also the picture for what I ordered is diffrent than what I received. I will be calling tci when they open tomorrow

I can tell it's for a Quadra-Jet because it uses the "Inside" small Spreadbore bolt pattern to mount the bracket & the fact it's way out of alignment. I'm just making observations based off years of experience. TCI makes some very high end products, They also sell overpriced cheap out-sourced junk....like their TV kits.
clinebarger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 05:20 PM   #20
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Have a look at this.
http://www.transmissioncenter.net/700r4.htm

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 07:51 AM   #21
cadillac_al

Sorry I forgot about this thread. After I got done plowing I have been Chrismtas shopping all friggin week. I'm not so sure your trans is bad. I think if that cable is misadjusted bad enough it won't work right. I thought for sure someone would have posted a pic for you by now. I can't make any guarantees this weekend but I will try to snap a pic of mine as soon as I can.
77 Chevy K10
cadillac_al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 02:17 PM   #22
61K10

your bracket doesn't look like the one in tci's pic. did you move your carb mounting studs inboard? should be in the outboard holes.

my build is------------61K10 build
61K10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 07:43 PM   #23
Keepitcoastal

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillac_al View Post
Sorry I forgot about this thread. After I got done plowing I have been Chrismtas shopping all friggin week. I'm not so sure your trans is bad. I think if that cable is misadjusted bad enough it won't work right. I thought for sure someone would have posted a pic for you by now. I can't make any guarantees this weekend but I will try to snap a pic of mine as soon as I can.
Hey no rush I'm going through the same thing but if you get a chance I would highly appreciate it.

Happy holidays!

-Drew

Quote:
Originally Posted by 61K10 View Post
your bracket doesn't look like the one in tci's pic. did you move your carb mounting studs inboard? should be in the outboard holes.
Yes I did move them inboard because I couldn't mount it any other way.

Iv honestly been so busy myself I haven't even called tci yet because I just planned to tear the tranny out and put the th350 back in
Old 12-23-2013, 06:59 PM   #24
kaycee

I went through this last spring ,same exact thing u are going through,sent all the TCI ,EDELBROCK brackets back to them.Man I was getting pissed over this double checked all the part #'s and talked to all there tech guys and still could not get 1 to work right.I finnaly caved in and bought the bracket cable assymbly from bowtie overdrive no more freeking guessing if it is right or not.I hated to spend the $$$ on it but man it is well worth it.The problem is the phelonic spacer allso after getting my carb all dialed in I was not about to take it off.
63 IMPALA 327
kaycee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 07:00 PM   #25
Angryman117

Check out http://www.bowtieoverdrives.com under the TV sections.
Angryman117 is offline   Reply With Quote