The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-20-2018, 04:47 PM   #1
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Trail of Bread Crumbs

2:45 AM today some guy was driving home, clobbered a curb somewhere, and then drove down my street with two flat tires. One peeled off the wheel and ran down the side of my car, tearing up the paint. Called the police and they came out to take a report. I told him I knew where the car was, because "it left a trail of bread crumbs"- the wheels scored the pavement all the rest of the way to where he parked, in front of his house. No proof of insurance and expired tags. The cop searched the car but found nothing. Got the guy's number and called him; he admitted driving the car, but not on my street. Cop told him about the gouges in the pavement. I asked about what I should do about the tire casing, because it's going to cost me money to dispose of it. He took it over to the guy's car and left it on the front seat before he had it towed away. Now, I just need to get my car fixed.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 04:53 PM   #2
The Rocknrod

Re: Trail of Bread Crumbs

Drugs are a terrible thing man.
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 07:28 PM   #3
Boog
laying low

Uh, yeah officer, uh, it wasn't me. It must have been one of those self driving cars..
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 08:23 PM   #4
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

20 years old and multiple arrests, according to the officer. The officer had 3 phone numbers available because of the kid's face time with the police. Parent's phone and his numbers. Crazy. I'll stick to coffee, beer and the occasional shot of corn squeezin's. Not all at the same time, though.

Simi Valley, CA
Old 05-20-2018, 10:27 PM   #5
davischevy

I thought maybe a nanny state had a better system for car insurance.

Here they buy insurance go get license and go back and cancel the insurance.
You can almost bet if you get hit, the car will be uninsured.

Build thread, Arkansas K10
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...=755797&page=5

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
davischevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 09:16 AM   #6
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Too right. I have "Uninsured Motorist" coverage on my insurance policy to protect me when the loser that hits me has none. Looks like that is how my car will get fixed, and let the insurance company bag him for the money. I have a $500 deductible, so I'll be taking him to court for that.

Simi Valley, CA
Old 05-21-2018, 09:22 AM   #7
Indian113

Good Luck with that. I got hit by a Drunk- No License / No Insurance/ No Job My insurance did pay off my car and gave me the Balance without deductible. But after I sued said Drunk he took bankruptcy and I never did get a Dime out of him! Plus my Insurance Premiums went up for awhile.
Indian113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 12:28 PM   #8
alsriv2

Location: Formerly MD and San Diego, now loving life in Arizona

I had a van totaled out in the same fashion. It was parked in front of my house on the street. Drunk came by, slammed into the side just in front of the rear tire, pushed my van up over the curb, breaking the passenger side wheel off at the axle and left a trail of oil and anti-freeze all the way to his garage. Also found a headlight lens from his Nissan pickup at the impact spot. Magically, there was a bunch of junk in his yard and the truck was hidden in the garage after his accident. Cops wouldn't do a darned thing. No investigation, nothing. My insurance had to pay. That drunk guy was well known problem in the neighborhood, and after that accident, always went around the neighborhood to exit the community afterwards, never driving by my house. Wouldn't you know about 8 months after my property was destroyed, the idiot had his truck "fixed" with multi-colored junkyard parts and pretended he didn't do anything wrong. Karma will get him.

2012 Ram 3500 Dually Crew Cab 6.7 Cummins
2014 Palomino Columbus 340RK 5th wheel
'69 Chevy C10 396BB
alsriv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 01:07 PM   #9
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsriv2 View Post
I had a van totaled out in the same fashion. It was parked in front of my house on the street. Drunk came by, slammed into the side just in front of the rear tire, pushed my van up over the curb, breaking the passenger side wheel off at the axle and left a trail of oil and anti-freeze all the way to his garage. Also found a headlight lens from his Nissan pickup at the impact spot. Magically, there was a bunch of junk in his yard and the truck was hidden in the garage after his accident. Cops wouldn't do a darned thing. No investigation, nothing. My insurance had to pay. That drunk guy was well known problem in the neighborhood, and after that accident, always went around the neighborhood to exit the community afterwards, never driving by my house. Wouldn't you know about 8 months after my property was destroyed, the idiot had his truck "fixed" with multi-colored junkyard parts and pretended he didn't do anything wrong. Karma will get him.
I don't understand that. Seems like the police can trace the vehicle to where he hid it, and bust him for at least hit and run.

Simi Valley, CA
Old 05-21-2018, 08:45 PM   #10
Boog
laying low

That sounds oh too familiar.
One of our members in Florida had a drunk hit his 3 vehicles in his driveway and tore down part of his fence in the early morning hours. Totalled two of them. A rookie cop stopped the drunk leaving a club and let him go just a few blocks from where he ran off the road and through two yards to end up in the member's yard. The member's full coverage repaired his wife's car but he only had liability on his other two trucks and did not have uninsured motorists coverage. One of his trucks was a freshly restored suburban he had only had for a couple of weeks. Forgive me, it's been a few years ago and I've forgotten his name but it was a big story here for a while. He got lots of support from this forum. He talked to the police chief, city attorney, attorneys from out of state and was told "the city is not liable in an incident like this where private property is damaged". He was told he could not sue the city due to it being a "charter state" or something like that. That rookie officer could have prevented that homeowner's loss but he let the drunk go. The drunk driver had a loaded gun in his seat as well. I saw the cops dash cam video of the stop but there was no audio. Someone put up the link for anyone to see. The guy could hardly stand up.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 10:04 PM   #11
davischevy

We had guys working at Tuckerman, just north of you Boog, and one evening a while back, a guy left the road, ran through the yard and hit a new Chevy company truck in the rear.

He showed the cop a proof of insurance, got his ticket, and went on his way.

His proof of insurance was canceled. Our insurance paid, withholding the $1,000 deductible. We could probably sue him, but who has time for that?

Build thread, Arkansas K10
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...=755797&page=5

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
davischevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 11:03 PM   #12
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Quote:
Originally Posted by davischevy View Post
We had guys working at Tuckerman, just north of you Boog, and one evening a while back, a guy left the road, ran through the yard and hit a new Chevy company truck in the rear.

He showed the cop a proof of insurance, got his ticket, and went on his way.

His proof of insurance was canceled. Our insurance paid, withholding the $1,000 deductible. We could probably sue him, but who has time for that?
I'm retired. I have all the time in the world. Well, until I die, anyway. Maybe I'll just use a bat and drive some balls over the center field fence.

Simi Valley, CA
Old 05-22-2018, 12:31 AM   #13
Matt_50

About ten years ago I was helping my mom and her new husband move and left my truck backed into her new driveway over night. They had left their boat in the street and in the middle of the night this guy comes down the street and purposfully aimed for the boat, he skidded off it, hit my truck and pushed it three feet, and bent my grillguard into the fender. He then drove off.

They call the cops, and that's when they learned he aimed for the boat. Two other boats had already been hit. I never heard anything else about it. I had to pay my deductible. And they had to get a new boat.
Old 05-22-2018, 01:12 AM   #14
vetnat

WTH? Had a hate on for boats? Some crappy stories on here. I had my car (1980? midsize Pontiac) totalled off while I was in veterinary school. Parked on the street out front the basement suite I was renting. Very early Thursday morning and some drunk teenager and his friend had taken his mom's car out for a joyride. My car ended up on the neighbour's lawn. Knew it was going to be bad when my landlady woke me up asking if my car used to be parked out front of the house. Fortunately, the kid hurt his leg in the accident and couldn't run away, and all I could think was "good". Later had to finish up a surgery lab and get changed to go to court to testify against him.

Last year in town here, we had a big concert, along the lines of Garth Brooks, or something, people came from all over the province. During the show, some drunk lady took out 6 cars parked on the street outside the venue, before proceeding to take out a guard rail on a bridge, closing one of 2 main thoroughfares in town for 4 days. Man, drunks behind the wheel are bad news!
Old 05-22-2018, 03:22 PM   #15
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

A guy I used to work with turned out to have been killed in an "accident" while on his bicycle, last year. He lived in Torrance, CA. It was the third time he'd been hit. He never saw who hit him the first two times, either. Another guy who also lived in Torrance got hit and seriously injured. I wonder if there's a bicycle-rider hater out there. The death of my friend is now being investigated as a murder. I wonder how the pieces got fit together. If it's the same clown, I hope they throw the book at him.

Simi Valley, CA
Old 05-24-2018, 10:36 PM   #16
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

I used to drink. I drove a Panel then also. A single bed mattress fits crossways between the back of the seats and the rear wheel wells. I've probably been woken up over a 100 times by LEO while sleeping there in a bar parking lot. I have never had an accident or a DUI. "I'm not the smartest man" but I know a smart move when I make one.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote