The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > Heavy Haulers

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-21-2017, 09:10 PM   #1
Nobighurry

1970 C60 brake expectations

Hey guys - need some input. I've got a 70 c60 ex fire truck. Low mileage flatbed now. I just spent $1000 getting the brakes redone - yes I feel ripped, but I just wanted to make sure they were right for this size truck. Here's the thing, the brakes aren't impressive at all. I mean, they seem to work ok, but just feel - like I said, not impressive. I couldn't imagine these trucks hauling tons of weight, towing tons as well with brakes like this. I mean, I don't expect 2017 caliber stopping, but something better than what I'm getting. The wheel cylinders were replaced and the master cylinder was done just before I bought the truck in the spring. I had a commercial truck service center do the work.
Just looking to see if my expectations are just too high. I appreciate any thoughts and input.
Nobighurry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 09:06 PM   #2
greywuuf

Re: 1970 C60 brake expectations

I wish so could help you.. I have a 69 c-60 and 2 '75. 7500's.... But they are all air brakes and I have never driven them loaded... I do know that air brakes on these trucks will lock the tires and try to stick you to the inside of the windshield ......
greywuuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 09:57 PM   #3
rkn463

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobighurry View Post
... they seem to work ok, but just feel - like I said, not impressive. I couldn't imagine these trucks hauling tons of weight, towing tons as well with brakes like this. I mean, I don't expect 2017 caliber stopping, but something better than what I'm getting. ...... I appreciate any thoughts and input.
I've never had the opportunity to drive one with fully functional stock brakes but a couple of people have posted that they drove the trucks new and didn't like the brakes.

With that said, I have a 1995 Z28 with low miles and 4 wheel discs. In normal driving it doesn't feel like the brakes are very good but if somehing requires you to really lay in to them they are impressive. I'd load it down and do some controlled tests and see how it performs. Also, did they turn the drums and put on new shoes? Glazed shoes don't grip worth a poop.

Just my .02. Let us know what you figure out. Oh and we need pictures

-Richard
Old 06-22-2017, 10:37 PM   #4
Nobighurry

Thanks guys. They didn't turn the drum, but they were good. The shoes were good also. Stopping power seems to be strong. What happens is the first pedal seems weak, but the second press is firm. The pedal also seems to lack spring to it. They bled them a couple times to get the air out, but still feels off. I'm wondering if the booster - hydroboost - under cab is failing. They almost feel like a check valve is leaking allowing fluid to pass by. Almost slow in response on first press. Don't get me wrong, it stops. Just not responsive. I may just be expecting too much. I've only put about 10 miles since the brake work, so maybe I just need to break (no pun intended) them in. Thanks again for the input
Nobighurry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 06:00 AM   #5
greywuuf

Hydroboost brakes have a particular bleeding order ...make sure the guys doing it know what they are doing....have not done mine yet (1950 GMC 350) but read up on the system and it is treated almost as two separate systems.
greywuuf is offline   Reply With Quote