The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-29-2013, 03:11 AM   #1
texjake

Argent Silver vs Gloss Black Rally wheels

Not sure if this has already been asked on here, so forgive me if it has. Would it be sacrilegious to repaint my Chevy truck rally wheels gloss black & not the argent silver like came from the factory or like you see everywhere on the 67-72 trucks? I'm just hoping they will look ok, I have not seen too many on here or in person to make a wise decision. Any insight into this matter will really help. Thanks!
texjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 04:17 AM   #2
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

Re: Argent Silver vs Gloss Black Rally wheels

I think GM painted all the rallys the argent color because it'll go ( look good ) with pretty much any color. I've seen them painted different colors over the years and most of them matched the body color of the truck they were on. I think the rallys painted black with nice chrome trim rings and centre caps will work with just about any color truck.

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" Circumsatances Do Not Change Responsibility "

" The Sky is not the Limit, Your Mind is." Marilyn Monroe ..

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021
Already Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 09:00 AM   #3
Boog
laying low

I imagine truck rallys have been painted most every color over the years. It's just a matter of personal preference. As Greg said, GM, Ford and Chrysler all painted their rallys a shade of silver to better accent most any body colors they had.
You asked for input...
I don't see the attraction to dark colored wheels. What is the point of reducing their appearance? Black wheels, black wall tires just removes them from the image. IMO
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 09:39 AM   #4
WIDESIDE72

I have tried black rallys on a car. Granted it is a different wheel, but they just get "lost". As far as "sacrilegious", they never came on pre 73 trucks anyway, so technically speaking, unless youre like some kooks ive seen representing it as 100% original, do what you want.
WIDESIDE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 10:35 AM   #5
specialtyretail
So,, what else you got???

I, personally, think the silver colored rally wheel is one of the greatest inventions of the automotive era. They look good on anything, are low maintence and since there were who knows how many made, fairly inexpensive. I like the silver, never been a fan of painted black or body color ones.
Old 12-29-2013, 11:02 AM   #6
67swb72klb

I have painted them a darker charcoal metallic color and liked the look
sometimes the body color works too on certain colors
Old 12-29-2013, 11:09 AM   #7
Tinkermc

This is really very simple, your truck only has to please you unless it's a show truck then what you want does not matter. You do what you must to win. But, if it is not a show truck make yourself happy.
Tinkermc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 11:12 AM   #8
flashed

The shop doing my 72 wants to paint my Rallys white ,the truck will be Medium Red , I told them no that I like them as I painted them (silver) .I have seen them painted body and other colors but I prefer silver.
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 11:20 AM   #9
eldogg

I had mine powdercoated gloss black. I really like the way they turned out. Argent silver looks great too. Paint 2 silver and 2 black. See what ever you like best.
eldogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 11:26 AM   #10
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Mine are dark charcoal metallic.They do tend to not be a Bling factor but then I think if the truck is well done,you don't need bling to distract people.If they're painted,they can be easily changed to any color when ever you want.I would paint them and then if I didn't like that color,it would be easy to change or go back to the silver.
I did mine to match the bumpers and other little details.Imight have gone different if I was using chrome bumpers.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 01:44 PM   #11
exdrocca

I rattle can painted my wheels. Wanted something different until I can afford something else. The picture is kind or lame. It's pouring outside.
Attached Images

exdrocca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 07:27 PM   #12
kcsa75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkermc View Post
This is really very simple, your truck only has to please you unless it's a show truck then what you want does not matter. You do what you must to win. But, if it is not a show truck make yourself happy.
I agree 100 percent. It's your truck. Do what makes you happy.

Now having said that, I vote for silver. I think black wheels on just about anything make it look like a taxi cab.

People who blindly follow a GPS end up on television programs on The Weather Channel. Some survive, some don't.
kcsa75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 07:45 PM   #13
truckster

GM painted a lot of the car rally wheels the same color as the body. I would say paint them the color you want them.
truckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 02:56 AM   #14
texjake

Thanks guys! After reading all your response's & seen some pics of the black wheels & the argent silver I have come to a conclusion, I'm goanna do my wheels in the Argent Silver. I like the way the black looks but as someone had mentioned they just get "lost", the wheels need that contrast. Now I just need to decide if I want to go with powder coated or the rattle can Duplicolor wheel paint silver & use the Matte clear coat.......decisions, decisions, decisions....
Old 12-30-2013, 11:23 AM   #15
GoaterAz

I would still just rattle can two of them and put them on the truck to see how they fit your eye and if you like them, finish the other two. Good powdercoat will run you quite a bit more and is something you can always do down the road.

Good luck and post some pics when you're done.

Me neither.
GoaterAz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 01:02 PM   #16
flashed

There is a powder coateing guy near me that wanted $80 per wheel to coat mine so I decided I could but lots of rattle cans for much less and they look good .
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 01:05 PM   #17
jocko

For what it's worth - rattle canning will not last over the long haul, no matter how much they are babied - think of how many times you'll pry the trim rings off.... (I'd keep that to a minimum even with powder coating). If you can pc locally, it's worth it. If not, Pacific Coast Powdercoating (Palmdale, CA, and they do shipping) does a nice job at $55/wheel. I've used them many times. Also, when you get the tires mounted/balanced, it's worth asking them to put the weights on the inside only - they usuall can, but not always.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 02:31 AM   #18
texjake

Thanks again guys. I called some local powercoating places and they wanted $60 a wheel to pc + $150 to sandblast all 5 wheels (yes I have a rally spare wheel/tire). That's way too much $$ for pc'n. Id rather put that money saved from not pc'n the wheels into something else like a new heater core & new tires. I'll have them sandblast em' & I'll do the rattle can & paint them myself. I just got to find the correct Argent Silver, not sure if I want to use Rustolum or Duplicolor. Some pics I saw on here of some wheels done with the Eastwood argent silver & they looked great. I just got to find a good close OE argent silver. I also saw some done with that hammer paint and I'm not sure I want to use that on my wheels. Its cool paint but not sure that's the look I want, hammered.
Old 12-31-2013, 03:07 AM   #19
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

Tomorrow I'll send you a pic of the can of argent silver I used on my rims.

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" Circumsatances Do Not Change Responsibility "

" The Sky is not the Limit, Your Mind is." Marilyn Monroe ..

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021
Already Gone is offline   Reply With Quote