The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-14-2014, 11:42 AM   #1
murphy98

60-66 Stepside rear step bumper modification

Hello all,
by request of a fellow member, I am sharing my "lesson learned" story & posting some photos with text of the modifications I had to make to my rear step bumper, in order to fit my '62 stepside long bed truck.

In my defence, this is my first stepside truck, I've always owned long bed fleetside trucks. So not being very failure with them, I assumed (wrongly) that the additional length of the long bed was made up in front of the rear fenders, in the running board area. I did not realize (or look carefully enough) that there is also an extra 6" behind the rear fenders. If, like me, you've never really noticed, have a look at a short bed stepside truck. You can see the rear fenders are almost in contact with the rear stake pockets (tailgate end) Whereas there is about a 6" gap between the rear fenders & the rear stake pockets on a long bed truck. Lesson learned!! Don't even want to think about the 9 foot beds

Here's the story:
My truck came with a very poor homemade bumper which was quite bent out of shape and had to go. So I started searching for a new rear bumper. I've always preferred the look of a step bumper & when I saw internet photos of original diamond plate stepside bumpers which wrap around (as I call it) the rear fenders which some of these trucks came with, I was hooked! Had to have one! It was not easy to find one around here, but I finally tracked one down from a Classic truck parts supplier who also carries used parts & happen to have one sitting in a storage area (not mounted on a truck) He only wanted $50 for it so I figured, can't go wrong with that!...or could I??

Not knowing at the time that there was a difference between short bed & long bed step bumpers of this style (because of that extra 6" in rear of the long bed) I went ahead and stripped it, primed & painted it. I was so happy with look!..... until I mounted it on the truck & installed the fenders!

Note: Before I resorted to modifying this bumper I tried to find a correct one locally with no luck, and shipping one from the US where they seem to be more plentiful would have been too cost prohibitive.

So here below is the first installment (more to follow) of what I did to make my short bed step bumper fit my long bed correctly! All in all it was a fun metal fab/welding project to do and rather easy to accomplish with rather basic tools, welder, die grinder with cut off wheels, angle grinder & my trusty old jig saw with metal blades. If you have a plasma cutter (I don't) I would imagine you could make the cuts much faster too. I did have to buy 2 pieces of 1/8" diamond plate steel 12" x 24" from my local Metal Supermarket (really inexpensive) to make up two new step pieces. The other filler pieces were made with scraps I had sitting around. At the end of the day, I learned a little more about these great trucks and ended up with what I'm proud to say is a really cool looking bumper!

If any of you are in the same boat I was in (I doubt many of you would overlook the bed length dimension detail I did here) or if can only find a short bed step bumper of this style to put on your long step bed truck, hope this little project helps you out? Any questions, feel free to ask!
Attached Images

murphy98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 11:45 AM   #2
murphy98

Re: 60-66 Stepside rear step bumper modification

Installment #2 Can't seem to load more than 5 pics at a time.
Attached Images

Old 02-14-2014, 11:49 AM   #3
murphy98

Final installment.
Attached Images

Old 02-14-2014, 05:10 PM   #4
Mathew21

Nice job, Great write up.
Mathew21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 07:07 PM   #5
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Thanks for capturing and detailing all the work required. Nice job. Love the finished result.
Old 02-14-2014, 07:33 PM   #6
WhippinSaw

Thanks for sharing this excellent write up. The pictures and a detailed
walkthrough make your mod very clear. Well done murghy98!
I don't have a step side bumper but I want to try to mod my fleet side bumper before I give up and just put a repro chrome one on. The bumper right now is a safety hazard at car shows. I was thinking about just shortening it and closing the bed side holes. Any Other Ideas? I am going to try to hunt down a long step side barden bumper but I am not going to bet on it.
Attached Images

Old 02-14-2014, 09:14 PM   #7
murphy98

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhippinSaw View Post
Thanks for sharing this excellent write up. The pictures and a detailed
walkthrough make your mod very clear. Well done murghy98!
I don't have a step side bumper but I want to try to mod my fleet side bumper before I give up and just put a repro chrome one on. The bumper right now is a safety hazard at car shows. I was thinking about just shortening it and closing the bed side holes. Any Other Ideas? I am going to try to hunt down a long step side barden bumper but I am not going to bet on it.
Thanks very much for the + feedback.

I can really see what you mean by the ends of your fleetside bumper being a hazard. I like your idea of closing up the ends as shown in you lower photo, you should be able to extend the side sections to meet up with your fender sides without too much trouble. Before you do any cutting on the ends, I will see how wide my bumper is to see how much you would need to trim if that is any help to you?
Oh, by the way, I have seen this style of bumper referred to as a "Barden" bumper. Can you tell me why? Was Barden the company that made these bumpers? Thanks.
Old 02-14-2014, 09:17 PM   #8
murphy98

Quote:
Originally Posted by markeb01 View Post
Thanks for capturing and detailing all the work required. Nice job. Love the finished result.
Thanks very much for the kind words, I was hoping the instructions would be easy to follow. This style bumper is not nearly as common as the standard (non step) style bumper but I really love it!
Old 02-14-2014, 09:18 PM   #9
murphy98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathew21 View Post
Nice job, Great write up.
Thanks very much!
Old 02-14-2014, 10:17 PM   #10
TJ's Chevy
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphy98 View Post
Thanks very much!
Fine work you have done murphy! I have a rear fleetside bumper similar if not the same as WhippinSaw's that I am now inspired to modify!

Last edited by TJ's Chevy; 02-14-2014 at 10:17 PM. Reason: Spelling error
TJ's Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 10:41 PM   #11
murphy98

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.J. MCCAULEY View Post
Fine work you have done murphy! I have a rear fleetside bumper similar if not the same as WhippinSaw's that I am now inspired to modify!
Thanks very much T.J.
Glad to here you will try to modify your fleetside bumper. Looking forward to seeing it! Post some photos when you are done, be nice to see the fleetside version modified to fit a step bed.
Old 02-14-2014, 10:57 PM   #12
Softpatch

Injoyed the post with great pictures nice job on both truck....thanks Sp
Softpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 05:22 PM   #13
WhippinSaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphy98 View Post
Thanks very much for the + feedback.

I have seen this style of bumper referred to as a "Barden" bumper. Can you tell me why? Was Barden the company that made these bumpers? Thanks.
I believe Barden Bumpers where installed at the dealer, my 63 was made in Oakland and has an Woodland California/Albany Oregon Barden bumper, There are probably other companys making these bumper too. Good thread on dealer installed bumpers here. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=561195

Until I find a step side bumper I want to cut the tail off mine, keeping the contour and slide it over. Will I be able to use a cut off tool to separate the diamond plate from the angle iron by the white arrow and reattach the diamond plate to the piece I am sliding over without damaging? This will look better right away, its cheap and relatively easy compared to your mod and will give me some confidence to mod a real fender side bumper if I have to.
Thanks again murphy98
Attached Images

Old 02-15-2014, 05:50 PM   #14
TJ's Chevy
Post Whore

Quote:
I believe Barden Bumpers where installed at the dealer, my 63 was made in Oakland and has an Woodland California/Albany Oregon Barden bumper, There are probably other companys making these bumper too. Good thread on dealer installed bumpers here. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=561195

Until I find a step side bumper I want to cut the tail off mine, keeping the contour and slide it over. Will I be able to use a cut off tool to separate the diamond plate from the angle iron by the white arrow and reattach the diamond plate to the piece I am sliding over without damaging? This will look better right away, its cheap and relatively easy compared to your mod and will give me some confidence to mod a real fender side bumper if I have to.
Thanks again murphy98
I have that same bumper on my '64 fleetside C-20...I am thinking of pulling it and modifying it to fit my C-10...I kinda like the looks...also that is has a place to mount a ball, and that it will add some weight. lol
Old 02-16-2014, 09:14 AM   #15
murphy98

Quote:

Thanks again murphy98
Thanks for the info on the Barden bumpers WhippinSaw,
My bumper originally had a small steel tag riveted to it about the same as your tag photo but it was rather faded and mostly unreadable (so I removed it) but I believe my bumper came off a US West coast truck so it most likely is a Barden made bumper. Also thanks for the thread on dealer installed bumpers, found it most informative! I will post photos of mine there as well.

As for your question about using a cut off tool to separate the diamond plate from the angle iron, I imagine you should be able to. I was not trying to save the piece of diamond plate to reuses so I just cut along the perimeter weld across the top of the diamond plate so as not to damage the angle iron. However in your case you may want to try cutting the weld bead at a 45 degree angle to the diamond plate/angle iron & use the thinnest cutting wheel you can in order to minimize "shortening" (due to the thickness of the cutting wheel) of the diamond plate, if that makes any sense? That way you can slide the bumper end contour piece under the diamond plate and re-weld a new bead, I am sure the weld will be able to fill the gap between the diamond plate & angle iron easily and look just like the rest of the bumper. Good luck with it, try to take lots of pics while you are doing it and post your results. Looking forward to seeing you modification.
Old 02-27-2014, 10:38 PM   #16
WhippinSaw

Murphy98, do you think I can make a step side bumper out of this? Seems to be a lower than yours, but I might be able to make it work with your help.
Thanks
Attached Images

Old 02-28-2014, 09:09 AM   #17
murphy98

Quote:
Murphy98, do you think I can make a step side bumper out of this? Seems to be a lower than yours, but I might be able to make it work with your help.
Thanks
I just checked my bumper measurements and they seem to match up with yours exactly WhippinSaw. My bumper is about 4" high and the vertical piece of diamond plate which closes the gap from the top of the bumper to the bottom of the bed cross sill is 2 7/8" high. I have about a 1/4" gap between the vertical piece and the bottom of the rear bed cross sill. It appears that your bumper is sitting a bit low, looks like your gap is about 1" going by your ruler in the pic. I do recall having to elongate my bumper bracket holes (on the frame) a bit as my bumper also sat a bit low when I first installed it. I made up a platform with a couple or 2x4s & some plywood between the bumper & my floor jack to support the bumper fully so I could make height adjustments as well as front to back adjustments more easily since I was doing this install solo. The bottom side edge of the bumper side extensions should be flush with the bottom of the rear fenders as you can see in the last pic. Hope these additional pics help? Let me know if you need more help or info.
Attached Images

Old 02-28-2014, 12:36 PM   #18
WhippinSaw

Great, I think I can do this then. I am going to get the bumper up so there is only a 1/4 inch gap and post back. Thanks murphy98
Old 02-28-2014, 11:51 PM   #19
Jeff La

Great job and thanks for documenting it.
Jeff La is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 09:38 AM   #20
murphy98

Quote:
Great, I think I can do this then. I am going to get the bumper up so there is only a 1/4 inch gap and post back. Thanks murphy98
Sounds good, take lots of pics as you do your conversion. Looking forward to seeing it all done!
Old 03-01-2014, 09:44 AM   #21
murphy98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff La View Post
Great job and thanks for documenting it.
Thanks!
Old 03-01-2014, 01:01 PM   #22
TJ's Chevy
Post Whore

Hey WhippinSaw I have the same bumper on my 64 C-20 and am contemplating on doing a similar swap..only difference would be is mine is a shortbox stepper. If you have any tips later on I'd be happy to take any advice. And like Murphy said..Please take pictures! LOL!
Old 03-29-2014, 08:08 PM   #23
WhippinSaw

Finally warmed up enough to start working on the truck. Took the bumper off and straighten the rear sill plate and the diamond plate where it meets the sill. The diamond plate is still bent down some by the barden tag an I will fix that later. The floor jack worked good to get the bumper in position. A factory small hole on the frame lined up with the far slot in the bumper and I used a small bolt to tilt the bumper up and down to find the best angle. It went up about 3/4", and went towards the rear 1 1/2" and had tilted it down some. Just had to drill the small hole out bigger and drill a new hole for the other.Looks good so far, got nothing to lose so I'm ready to cut, If you could check some overall measurements, I can measure it twice and cut once, I got 66 1/4' under the rear sill and think that will be around 55 after Its cut and 76 5/8" overall not sure what that should be. Thanks murhy98
Attached Images

Old 03-29-2014, 09:05 PM   #24
murphy98

Hey WhippinSaw,
the gap under the cross sill is looking really good after your adjustments. I just checked the two measurements you asked about on my bumper. I got 55 1/4" for the width of the vertical portion of the diamond plate under the cross sill, so just about what your measurement is. For the overall width of the bumper I get 73 5/8". Perhaps you can take a carpenters square and put the short leg along the rear edge of the bumper and have the longer leg just touching the rear fender but long enough to reach just short of the molded lip area of the fender see last photo in post #18 above for reference (maybe put some masking tape on the fender so the square does not scratch it) then draw a line on the top of the bumper to simulate the end of the bumper and repeat on the other side then measure the overall width of the bumper going by those two lines and see what that comes to before you do any cutting. Check that measurement against mine to see if you are close. Let me know if you need more info, happy to help!

Last edited by murphy98; 03-29-2014 at 09:14 PM.
Old 03-31-2014, 07:11 PM   #25
WhippinSaw

Thanks for the carpenter square suggestion, I got a good look at it and noticed my fender with the spare tire cutout is narrower than the other. Never noticed that before, barely noticeable in the pic. That side will have a shorter bumper than the other. I have a metal super mart close by, looks like I need 2 pieces of 1/8" diamond plate steel 12" x 24" and 2 pieces of 1/4" X 4" flat stock steel 2 foot long before I start cutting. If you get a chance could you post a couple of rear close ups so I can better visualize that molded area like the pic below. Thanks murphy98
Attached Images