The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1988 - 1998 GMT400 Chevy & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-15-2015, 05:26 PM   #1
SoCalSlaughter

1989 Suburban - Sluggish Brakes

Hello all, truck is a 89' Suburban V2500 4X4. My grandfather drives the truck mostly. He came to me and said the brake pedal was hard to press and the truck wouldn't slow down. I test drove the truck and confirmed the truck was having a hard time stopping. Once the brake pedal gets 3/4 the way to the floor it seems to bottom out and loose its brakes force. Example, if you where to press on the brakes harder, the braking force increases. This is not the case, you can stand on the brake pedal and the brake force is the same once the pedal reaches about 3/4. So if your going say 10 mph and stand on the brakes the truck will slowly roll to a stop, not lock up the tires at all. So far the master has been replaced (Says my grandfather, about a year ago) I've bleed each corner of the truck twice to make sure there is no air, did a hand vacuum pump test on the booster and there is no leaks. The truck is ok driving around town at slow speeds, but going down a hill is a problem. There is no worry of locking up the brakes in their current state.
SoCalSlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 08:30 PM   #2
JetForceF22

Re: 1989 Suburban - Sluggish Brakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalSlaughter View Post
Hello all, truck is a 89' Suburban V2500 4X4. My grandfather drives the truck mostly. He came to me and said the brake pedal was hard to press and the truck wouldn't slow down. I test drove the truck and confirmed the truck was having a hard time stopping. Once the brake pedal gets 3/4 the way to the floor it seems to bottom out and loose its brakes force. Example, if you where to press on the brakes harder, the braking force increases. This is not the case, you can stand on the brake pedal and the brake force is the same once the pedal reaches about 3/4. So if your going say 10 mph and stand on the brakes the truck will slowly roll to a stop, not lock up the tires at all. So far the master has been replaced (Says my grandfather, about a year ago) I've bleed each corner of the truck twice to make sure there is no air, did a hand vacuum pump test on the booster and there is no leaks. The truck is ok driving around town at slow speeds, but going down a hill is a problem. There is no worry of locking up the brakes in their current state.
Sounds like it could be a problem with the break booster. Check the vacuum line on the break booster and make sure there's no leak from the TBI/intake to the booster. Also possible the check valve is not opening properly. It should be located either in or near the break booster... something like this picture

don't know exactly without looking at my booster on my truck. Sometimes the check valve is actually in the vacuum line... Anyone with more expertise in this area feel free to chime in.
1972 3/4 Ton Cheyenne Super, 350ci 650 cfm Edelbrock 4bbl Performer AVS, Edelbrock Torquer intake manifold, Headman Longtube Headers to 2 1/2in cutouts to 3 inch flowmaster super 40's true dual. 4.10? Rear SM-465/205 transfer case. Now this one is busted!! http://s59.photobucket.com/albums/g2...k/1972 Pickup/
1995 K1500 Silverado 5.7L 350 TBI with 1in swirl torque spacer, Flowtech shorty headers, 3 inch collectors to y pipe going to 3in highlfow cat converter, single offset passenger side outlet, full 3 inch setup from collectors. Edelbrock High Flow 255LPH/67GPH Fuel pump, adjustable fuel pressure regulator and gauge, running at about 18psi. 3.73 Rear 4L60-E 4 speed auto (Rebuilt)http://s59.photobucket.com/albums/g2...1995%20Pickup/
JetForceF22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 09:34 PM   #3
SoCalSlaughter

Thanks for the reply! I was actually just checking the brake booster. I removed the master to make sure no fluid was going into it, it was clean. I took the hose off the intake to the booster and its in fine shape. The filter on it is flowing fine, the check valve is working (blew into both sides and only 1 side allows air flow). 1 thing I did notice is, when you press on the brake pedal quickly, the emergency brake light flashes for a split second. The truck doesn't have ABS, it does have the valve in the back for towing (to adjust the braking front to rear). But the proportioning valve located on the front cross member, where the "Reset button" is located, was wet with brake fluid. Not dripping. I'm wondering if the valve inside is stuck. I own a 1990 Suburban myself and you can push on the brakes with your big toe and almost lock up the brakes. His Suburban you have to stand on the brake pedal to stop it. I haven't really found any info on the proportioning valve from Google though.
SoCalSlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 08:59 AM   #4
oilmanpat

I would probably replaace the proportioning valve if it was mine.
oilmanpat is offline   Reply With Quote