The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-10-2018, 05:08 PM   #1
VOoDoO70

FiTech checklist

So I was granted permission( wife said ok) to go ahead and purchase the FiTech EFI system for my C10. I need a little bit of direction on which system would work best for my set up and what else I may need to complete the installation. I was leaning toward the 400hp kit but not 100% sure if I need to go with it or the 600hp kit. The truck is a 1970 C10 with a 355 sbc w/camel hump heads 202, voodoo cam, weiand intake, edelbrock 600 cfm carb. The fuel system is set up with an electric pump to the stock gas tank. I'm just needing input on those who are running similar setups what you guys are running and what else I may need. I may buy the kit with the new gas tank that relocates under the bed, but if I don't need to then I would like to go that route. Just let me know what you guys think? Thank you
Attached Images

Last edited by VOoDoO70; 07-13-2018 at 01:26 PM.
VOoDoO70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 11:10 PM   #2
VOoDoO70

Re: FiTech checklist

Anyone? I really don't want to run the compatible command center also. What's working for y'all?
Old 07-11-2018, 01:14 AM   #3
Sweeet67

Hey voodoo70, I completed my conversion about a year ago. I put a boyds tank under the bed. I installed an in tank fuel pump. Put 3/8 fuel lines steel fuel lines in. And I chose the 600 hp fitech. Simply because for the $, I am ready to upgrade the engine at any time. Buy it once and be done concept. My engine is a 383, and it runs very well. There have been a few calls to customer service for a few tweaks here and there, it been a good experience with them.
Sweeet67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 01:43 AM   #4
Lancialonnie

Smile Re: FiTech checklist

I just have a stock 307 so I went with the 400 hp version, under bed fuel tank with an in tank pump. I heard some folks had issues with the command center so I avoided that option. I could not be happier with how it has worked out, better mileage and so much more drive-able when cold in the morning!
Lancialonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 07:08 AM   #5
Aus69c20

I’m running a Holley sniper.
I already had a carter electric pump mounted to the frame under the cab and the stock tank. I mounted a surge tank/swirl pot, with a walbro efi pump inside, behind the cab. The carter pump feeds the efi pump inside the surge tank which then runs to the efi unit.
Then the return line runs back to the surge tank which also has a return line back to the stock tank. I had a 3/8 pipe put into the fuel sender for the return.

This set up works very well and I can run the tank to near empty with out any fuel supply issues. With the efi pump inside the surge tank it is near silent.

69 c20, 396, th400, dana60, ps, ac
Aus69c20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 11:11 AM   #6
Jrainman

I am running the fitech system with stock tank and fitech frame mounted pump kit ,witch include filters isolated mounting brakets ,rubber hose ,bulk head fitting for return line and all required hardware . I have had no issues with with this set up other then the pump loudness , the other thing I did was to use a 1972 style fuel sending unit because it has a vent tube built in to it and this gives me good venting as needed in a return line style system

after about 6 months are so the replacement fuel sending unit failed , not registering the proper amount of fuel ,So before I ordered a new sending unit I decided to try and mount a intank fuel pump to the failed sending unit to see if I could get a quieter system ,being I had a old but good stock dodge intank fuel pump laying around I stripped it down just to the pump and fuel sock , the stock pump was made by walbro and I was happy with the results I had no issues and a the pump sound was much more quiet

So as of now I am back with the original fitech frame mounted pump ,I am researching what intank pump to buy and mount it to the 72 style sending unit, and I belive if I do some sound proofing around the stock tank it should be vertualy unheard , the other thing I would like to do is on the supply side of things is go to nico or steel line and also nico or steel on the return line at least back down to the frame just feel more safe going that route. I want to add that this truck is a daily driver and the only reason I went with a efi system is that I live where it gets very cold in the winter and I had starting issues with the carb on mornings that are below 15 degrees I leave for work at 4 am every morning and the last thing I needed was a no start issue and the fitech has been nothing but a pleasure on the mornings of fridged tempetures ,if it was not for the cold start issues I wold still be running my carb.
Jrainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 02:57 PM   #7
VOoDoO70

Ok the more research I do the more I think I'm going to stick with my stock tank behind the seat. I decided to go with the 400hp kit but am still undecided on the fuel supply. I'm leaning toward the frame mounted fuel pump but wonder if I can use the passenger side of my tank with piece of hose in pic#2 as a return. Then there is the vent issue. How would I vent the tank? Anyone have pics of there setups with in cab tanks?
Old 07-13-2018, 12:56 AM   #8
Rufas

I'm running the FiTech 30004 set up for supercharging. I couldn't wait to get rid of the gas smelling, fuel float rattling factory gas tank. I went with the CPP aluminum rear mounted tank with built in fuel pump. That tank is beveled in the rear that helps with getting in an out of driveways. So far it's working great.

350 SBC 300hp
Weiand Supercharger
FiTech EFI
Rufas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 01:30 PM   #9
VOoDoO70

I added a pic of my filler neck, anyone have any pics of there installation of the fitech kit with an in cab tank. I feel like I've been searching the web for answers but still cant wrap my head on how the fuel system is supposed to be ran. I may be overthinking this deal but any help is much appreciated.
Old 07-14-2018, 07:32 AM   #10
Aus69c20

I think the best way to get a return into the stock tank is to modify the fuel sender or fit a 71-72 sender which has an extra 5/16 line for a return. By doing it this way you don’t have to touch the tank.
Also try to return the fuel close the bottom of the tank. That way you don’t aerate the fuel and you won’t hear the fuel returning to the tank.

Old 07-14-2018, 11:32 AM   #11
VOoDoO70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus69c20 View Post
I think the best way to get a return into the stock tank is to modify the fuel sender or fit a 71-72 sender which has an extra 5/16 line for a return. By doing it this way you don’t have to touch the tank.
Also try to return the fuel close the bottom of the tank. That way you don’t aerate the fuel and you won’t hear the fuel returning to the tank.
Awesome thank you, what about venting the tank? Do I just need a vented cap? Would I need to utilize the passenger side at all? It currently has a hose blocking off right now?
Old 07-14-2018, 06:54 PM   #12
Aus69c20

My trucks a 69 so it uses a vented cap. Yours looks to be a later tank which l unfortunately know nothing about how they are vented. It does look as though the venting system on your tank has been blocked off.

Old 07-15-2018, 11:37 AM   #13
Jrainman

Fitech tech has what they call a bulk head fitting for the retun line that you install in your stock tank ,takes about 15 minutes to install .
Attached Images

Last edited by Jrainman; 07-15-2018 at 11:41 AM. Reason: add picture
Old 07-15-2018, 06:22 PM   #14
VOoDoO70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrainman View Post
Fitech tech has what they call a bulk head fitting for the retun line that you install in your stock tank ,takes about 15 minutes to install .
That's the 72' sending unit in the pic right? Of the two hoses which one is your vent? Any more pics of the install? Thank you
Old 07-16-2018, 10:06 AM   #15
Jrainman

No that is the oem 68 sending unit , I soldered a short lenth of 3/8 tubing in the line for the vent , to see if it would work before I purchased a 72 style sendind unit , and it did .

The bulk head fitting to the left is from fitech. I really suggest you go to fitech web site and down load there instructions on there frame mount pump kit #5001 it will really clear up all your questions on the install and give you a idea on what you need as far as hardware even if you dont use this kit.

Also I would down load install instuction on the efi system you are looking to buy , it will give you a much better understanding on what needs to be done not only on the install ,but what adjustments need to be made after you get your engine running ,the more you make your self understand how to operate and adjust the system will be advantage in the long run.
Old 07-16-2018, 01:47 PM   #16
VOoDoO70

Thank you will do I will be sure to post pics of the install

Last edited by VOoDoO70; 07-18-2018 at 09:24 PM.
Old 10-20-2018, 07:58 AM   #17
VOoDoO70

Anyone running an eec tank with the Fitech setup and frame mounted pump kit? Im not sure why my current setup has the passenger side line blocked off. How are you guys running your return and vent lines with this type of in cab tank?
Old 10-20-2018, 09:05 AM   #18
Shinysideup

In my contemplation of doing this conversion I assume to use the passenger corner "vent line" for the fuel return. I dont see why not anyway.
. [_____(O)_|_'|__}>-------[-_(O)__i'___i (O)-]

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 P.O.S. View Post
No thank you on that lifetime warranty. I don't want a turd for life.
Shinysideup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 12:37 PM   #19
VOoDoO70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinysideup View Post
In my contemplation of doing this conversion I assume to use the passenger corner "vent line" for the fuel return. I dont see why not anyway.
That's my train of thought, would I still need to run a line for a vent?
Old 10-20-2018, 12:59 PM   #20
Jrainman

You will need to run a vent line ,even if you have a vented cap , the agitation of the fuel from the return line creates more pressure in the tank ,,also remember todays gas is oxgenated , your return line must be at least 3/8 , with the way I set my fitech system up I used the 72 style vent that comes intergrated in the 72 stock sending unit . the vent line I think is about 5/16 anyhow it it seems to be a sufficent size , I never have experienced any pressure build up as of yet in my stock tank with the way I installed my fitech 600
Old 10-20-2018, 01:48 PM   #21
VOoDoO70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrainman View Post
You will need to run a vent line ,even if you have a vented cap , the agitation of the fuel from the return line creates more pressure in the tank ,,also remember todays gas is oxgenated , your return line must be at least 3/8 , with the way I set my fitech system up I used the 72 style vent that comes intergrated in the 72 stock sending unit . the vent line I think is about 5/16 anyhow it it seems to be a sufficent size , I never have experienced any pressure build up as of yet in my stock tank with the way I installed my fitech 600
Im probably going to tap the tank using the bulkhead provided as you did on your install for the return and just use the passenger side port as a vent. Where does your vent route and exit?
Old 10-21-2018, 08:33 AM   #22
Jrainman

I routed my vent line ,by removing one of the small rubber door stops from the passenger side pillar ,I found after removing the littler rubber door stop the hole size and height was perfect, and being is on the other side of the door seal it vents through the door gap with no gas smell able to creep back in .

Last edited by Jrainman; 10-21-2018 at 08:34 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-08-2018, 08:01 PM   #23
VOoDoO70

Fuel system done just need to run the vent line
Attached Images

Old 11-14-2018, 07:01 PM   #24
VOoDoO70

Vent line setup, and knife switch
Attached Images

Old 12-03-2018, 06:16 PM   #25
LostMy65
But Found Her 25yrs Later!

Good thread...
I've had zero issues with my FCC. But I'm still considering options.

66 C20 Service Truck:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=428035
LostMy65 is offline   Reply With Quote