The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-10-2019, 10:07 PM   #1
Robert Crandall

Cab Mounts

4 or 5 years ago I started having trouble with the fan hitting the underside of the top cover piece over the radiator. This is on my 1978 C20. I bent it, and bent it some more, but the hitting continued. Eventually I found that the front rubber cab (fender) mounts no longer existed. I cannot find it now, but somewhere on this forum I found a recommendation for a replacement cab mount kit. I bought it, and replaced those two front mounts. That stopped the fan hitting the cover piece problem. After a few years I got all six mounts replaced. I reused what remained of the existing shims, but the doors ground on their latches. Most annoying that was. Today, after a few years of being annoyed at that grinding I had time to remove the bolts from the center two of the pattern of six mounts, the ones under the door hinges. I jacked until the doors no longer ground on the latches. The driver side took 1/4 inch of shim. The passenger side took 3/8 inch. It surprised me that they took that much shimming. But what a difference! The sound of doors closing without the metal to metal grinding is such a huge improvement. I like it! The adjustment was surprisingly easy. Jack until I like the sound of the doors closing, find the shim thickness needed, jack some more to get them in place, lower onto them, check, tighten, done.

Thanks to this forum for providing the information on the replacement cab bumper kit.
Robert Crandall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 06:20 AM   #2
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Re: Cab Mounts

Glad it has worked out!

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 12:08 AM   #3
82Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Crandall View Post
4 or 5 years ago I started having trouble with the fan hitting the underside of the top cover piece over the radiator. This is on my 1978 C20. I bent it, and bent it some more, but the hitting continued. Eventually I found that the front rubber cab (fender) mounts no longer existed. I cannot find it now, but somewhere on this forum I found a recommendation for a replacement cab mount kit. I bought it, and replaced those two front mounts. That stopped the fan hitting the cover piece problem. After a few years I got all six mounts replaced. I reused what remained of the existing shims, but the doors ground on their latches. Most annoying that was. Today, after a few years of being annoyed at that grinding I had time to remove the bolts from the center two of the pattern of six mounts, the ones under the door hinges. I jacked until the doors no longer ground on the latches. The driver side took 1/4 inch of shim. The passenger side took 3/8 inch. It surprised me that they took that much shimming. But what a difference! The sound of doors closing without the metal to metal grinding is such a huge improvement. I like it! The adjustment was surprisingly easy. Jack until I like the sound of the doors closing, find the shim thickness needed, jack some more to get them in place, lower onto them, check, tighten, done.

Thanks to this forum for providing the information on the replacement cab bumper kit.
Where did you go for the cab mounts, are they the original style? I know LMC Sells the original rubber style but not sure on quality. http://www.lmctruck.com/features/cc/CCCM3.htm
82Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 06:29 AM   #4
Robert Crandall

I looked through my previous postings but did not find the reference. I must have found the reference then looked it up without commenting on that posting, but I did find it somewhere on this forum. Sorry, I do not remember the manufacturer.

I did not choose the original style. They are some kind of synthetic material. I remember there being a choice of having the cushion material in black or red color.
Old 04-12-2019, 01:25 PM   #5
82Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Crandall View Post
I looked through my previous postings but did not find the reference. I must have found the reference then looked it up without commenting on that posting, but I did find it somewhere on this forum. Sorry, I do not remember the manufacturer.

I did not choose the original style. They are some kind of synthetic material. I remember there being a choice of having the cushion material in black or red color.
oh okay yes those are the polyurethane ones. seen them online.
82Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 08:57 PM   #6
Robert Crandall

I found this online. I do not remember if this is the manufacturer that I bought from, but the ones I did buy look exactly like these.

https://www.amazon.com/Energy-Suspen...02470676&psc=1

I hope this helps.