The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-12-2018, 08:32 AM   #1
jkk

Dyeing Interior Parts Tips and Tricks

Hey Guys

I'm looking at dyeing the interior trim door panels etc. I have never done this before anyone have some good advice on the best way to do it?
Looking at buying products from USA-1 industries appreciate any info don't want to mess the OEM pieces up

Thanks
jkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 08:53 AM   #2
TKCR

Re: Dyeing Interior Parts Tips and Tricks

I did this for the interior of my truck. I also dye parts periodically for my seat restorations, the seatbelt hole garnishes & hinge garnishes.
1) clean the parts well with hot soapy water and rinse well.
2) wipe all the parts down with either lacquer thinner or a plastic parts prep spray and clean with hot soapy water again. Let the parts throughly dry.
3) use a spray adhesive promoter. Just follow the instructions on the can. You add a coat of the promoter and while it’s still wet, your adding a light coat of color. Once that is dry, then you can start adding light coats of color until your satisfied with how it looks.

First pic is a some seat parts I did in Burgundy. The rest of the pics are when I did the dash pad, in my truck. I changed my interior color from Maroon to Charcoal
Attached Images

TKCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 09:04 AM   #3
TKCR

Are you just getting the dye from USA1 or the parts too? Just asking, because I didn’t know if you knew that they will dye the parts also.
TKCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 09:06 AM   #4
jkk

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKCR View Post
Are you just getting the dye from USA1 or the parts too? Just asking, because I didn’t know if you knew that they will dye the parts also.
The dye and some parts......door panels
Old 12-12-2018, 06:48 PM   #5
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

I use strictly SEM products. First I clean all the disassembled parts with soap and water, then degreaser, then soap and water again. After thoroughly dry I use a couple of thin coats of the SEM primer ( plastic and leather prep) then after that I spray the color again multiple thin coats letting dry completely between coats until well covered
Attached Images

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 07:34 PM   #6
Dead Parrot

To OP, nice job. How well do the AC vents work?

If cost is an issue and you don't need an exact match or get lucky with available colors, I have had good results with Rustoleum sprayed on cleaned plastic parts.
Dead Parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 09:27 PM   #7
cruizin01

I also highly recommend the SEM products. I painted my NOS dash, door panels, all the trim and even the seat with it. They have several different products in regards to cleaning and prep. It gets expensive but its well worth it imo.

I bought all my products from route 66 auto color. They can mix whatever color you need if not available in cans. They were quick to ship and nice to deal with.

Old 12-12-2018, 10:15 PM   #8
rideair

Like others, SEM is the way to go. They also have a top coat clear that can be used after dying which I did use on certain pieces.
Attached Images

rideair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 07:14 PM   #9
ddc456

i use two coats of Bulldog. and i have painted many, many, plastic interior parts with this. Apply this first before before color.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
ddc456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 07:36 PM   #10
jkk

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruizin01 View Post
I also highly recommend the SEM products. I painted my NOS dash, door panels, all the trim and even the seat with it. They have several different products in regards to cleaning and prep. It gets expensive but its well worth it imo.

I bought all my products from route 66 auto color. They can mix whatever color you need if not available in cans. They were quick to ship and nice to deal with.

Thanks for the info