The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-07-2015, 05:17 PM   #1
victorallen

'66 C10 5.3/4L60 swap questions...

I'm planning on a 5.3 / 4L60 swap into a '66. I've done a bunch of hot rods, restorations, fabrication work etc so the mechanical part doesn't bother me but I'm new to the LS stuff and frankly am a little intimidated by the unknown. I've read/researched until my eyes are crossed. I know there are a ton of posts on this but a lot of them are a few years old and a lot of the information is scattered about. The donor vehicle I have found is a wrecked '01 Silverado 2WD with 104K miles. The truck I'm planning to do the swap on is a '66 short wide bed, big back glass, factory V8, auto, PS, A/C truck. The original engine is long gone and the truck is solid but fairly ratty. I just finished a '65 short bed (383/700r4) and am just wanting the '66 to be a good reliable driver and am definitely wanting to build it on a budget. A few of the questions I have are:

1) What are the best motor mounts to use? I have the stock towers and would like to use them. I've seen ones that basically are just an adapter plate that use the stock style mounts, does anyone know about these?

2) Although this truck has the factory slave type power steering I will replace it with a later model power steering box. What's the best way to connect 70s or 80s style steering box with the 5.3 pump?

3) Does the A/C compressor have to be relocated to the top of the engine for clearance purpose and if so what brackets can be used?

4) Is there any issues with using the drive by cable and the ECM from the donor truck? I'm not planning on using cruise control.

5) I'm not wanting to spend the money for an aftermarket wiring harness but I've heard that the wiring harness from a car is a lot cleaner and easier to use than the truck harness. Would it be best to get one from a car or just have the truck harness reworked when I get the ECM programmed?

6) On an application like this is the stock cooling fan OK or would it be best to go with an electric, and if so just an aftermarket fan or is there an OEM that works better?

7) What's the best fuel pump top use? I've seen a few people use the inline Walbro with the corvette filter/regulator and keep the stock tank, any ideas on that setup? Since this will be a budget build I'm really not looking to buy a $500 fuel tank but wouldn't be above a swap to a factory tank under the bed if anyone knows what will work best.

8) What's the best headers or manifolds to use? I'm not wanting to cut the frame up so I'm guessing stock manifolds probably aren't an option. From want I can tell a mid-length header may be the best option. If so what is the best fit for this application?

9) I'm thinking of using a stock dimension aluminum radiator, what hoses will work with the 5.3?

Thanks in advance for the information and I apologize for asking questions that have probably been answered several times. I just thought I'd see if there was any new stuff or ideas out there and if possible to get the information in a somewhat condensed format.
victorallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 05:54 PM   #2
Chevysdominate

Re: '66 C10 5.3/4L60 swap questions...

The first thing ill say is that doing this swap isn't the hardest thing, but it isn't ease either. It is completely worth the effort though.

1. I used the straight adapter plates made from plate steel and retained the stock towers. I cant remember if they are the 1" or 2" or straight versions. I'll try to dig up the exact ones I used.

2. I want to say that if you have the later model metric o-ring power steering lines and box it will bolt up with no issues.

3. I dont have A/C , but i do know that you'll need to notch the frame or relocate it to the top of the engine. Theres a few aftermarket brackets that can do that for you.

4. Using the DBC and ecu from the donor is a good idea. I have a DBC setup on my 65 and it works fine. You'll need to modify the pedal arm to use the newer style cable.

5. Don't bother with a car wiring harness. You'll need to do to many modifications to make it work with the truck injectors and routing over the truck intake manifold might be an issue with a car harness. Just use the one that comes with the truck. lt1swap.com is your friend for stand alone wiring harness modifications.

6. A stock cooling fan will work if your radiator is in good shape and you have a fan shroud for it. Get an electric fan if you don't have a shroud. No shroud = no cooling... I use a Lincoln mk8 fan. Theirs a good number of oem and aftermarket electric fans that will work.

7. I use an inline walbro with the stock return line from the fuel rails with the stock tank. I added two 6jic fittings to my tank for fuel feed and return lines. I wish i had an in tank fuel pump though. The pumps are a little loud . Unfortunately, the stock tanks don't lend themselves to an intank pump though.

8. I used the stock manifolds. I had to slightly notch the passenger side frame rail. Not much at all. Trailblazer ss manifolds work as well as some of the midlength headers. I cant comment much further since i used the stockers.

9. I have a stock dimension champion radiator. I just went down to my local parts store and went through the radiator hoses tell i found ones that would work. I have no idea what they came from.

Good luck! This was the best modification I've ever done to my truck. I have about 15k miles on my swap with absolutely no issues outside of a leaking oil plug (my bad really). I've taken it on many, many 300+ mile road trips and get about 17-19 mpg on the highway. Not too bad for a 50 year old truck.
Chevysdominate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 05:56 PM   #3
ls60apache

hello there goodluck with the project. im also working on a 60 apache with a 6.0 4l80e combo..motor mount im using are the stock ones but polyurethane with a supposedly interlock in case one pulls loose. a stronger mount would be the 73-87 truck version.on my power steering I used a modified 2001 s10 pressure hose .since I had a early ps box I had to cut off oring end and reflair a 45. later model ps boxes have a 0 ring seal. I would just modify your truck harness dont think a car harness would be any easier. you can remove all evap and emission related wiring.im in this process now myself. go to lt1swap.com lots of good info there that will help you get it done. you can find a tuner that will take your pcm and reprogram for the systems that you removed and vats. I am using doug Thorley 67-72 ls headers,but there are guys running manifold not sure from what. on the ac I am using a allen grove low mount compressor brkt for the sanden compressor,i did have notch my frame for the line connections 60-62 frames are boxed in this area your 66 is open and I think it my be easier.there are a few other guys here that have already done the ls conversion and will have some more input for you.good luck post some picks of your truck
ls60apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 06:05 PM   #4
victorallen

Thanks a bunch for the info. I know the first step is always the hardest, I need to just get the truck in the shop and get started. The truck has already been changed to disc and 5 lug but I plan on adding power brakes and doing newer style power steering before I start on the engine swap. Not to get off subject but I did stumble on a good donor for the front sway bar on the '65 if anyone is planning on installing one, I used one from a '87 suburban 2wd 3/4 ton. It's 1 1/4" diameter and bolted up like it was made for the truck, just had to cut the 4 rivets for the frame mounting brackets. Anyway, thanks again, I might be picking your brain from time to time if you don't mind.
Old 01-07-2015, 06:18 PM   #5
Mathew21

Welcome victorallen. I'm glad you made this post. I'm getting ready to do a 5.3 swap in my 66'. This will help answer some of my questions too.

As far as your power steering goes. If you are in need of a bracket to mount a newer style steering box I highly suggest Captainfab's mount that he makes. I put one on my truck a few months ago. I was very impressed with the quality of it.

Click here to view his mount.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=332923

Last edited by Mathew21; 01-07-2015 at 06:43 PM.
Mathew21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 07:01 PM   #6
victorallen

Thanks Mathew, I'll be interested to see how your swap goes as well. And yes those brackets work great, I used one on the '65 my son and I recently finished.
Old 01-07-2015, 07:23 PM   #7
victorallen

This isn't a very good picture but the black one in the middle is it. It's been sitting for a few years while we finished the last one, I've just been trying to get up the courage to drag it to the shop and start another project, lol. This one isn't going to be nearly as in depth as the '65. I just plan on touching up the bottom of the bedside and the top of the door and otherwise leaving the paint alone. It'll eventually get 18'/20's and a 4.5"/5" drop for the same stance as the other.

Last edited by victorallen; 01-07-2015 at 07:38 PM.
Old 01-07-2015, 07:31 PM   #8
victorallen

.... this is the '65 my son and I finished a while back. The '66 will have the same stance only I plan on going with grey center wheels. It's probably not going to be a very speedy project.

If anyone is interested here's a link to pictures of the '65 build:
http://s776.photobucket.com/user/vic...?sort=2&page=1

Last edited by victorallen; 01-07-2015 at 07:46 PM.
Old 01-07-2015, 08:05 PM   #9
Mathew21

^^^WOW That's nice^^^
Old 01-07-2015, 08:10 PM   #10
Dubnova

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorallen View Post

.... this is the '65 my son and I finished a while back. The '66 will have the same stance only I plan on going with grey center wheels. It's probably not going to be a very speedy project.

Tanners truck is one of the reasons I got into 65 C10's Great build and one of the best looking trucks on the board. You guys nailed the hotrod truck stance. I am using a LS3 Erod connect and Cruise from GMPP with the Vintage Air front runner (compressor mounted up top). CPP supplied the engine mounts and headers and they fit very well. Got any more pics of Tanners truck? I am glad you are building another truck and if it's anything like the Orange Truck it will be great. The LS swap is a great way to go. I have done a couple and Speartech makes a good reworked harness and the throttle cable is go to go (I like DBW better). A good 5.3 with a dyno tune should be just about right for the 65 and they respond well to a small camshaft. One thing I have noticed is that the LS engines sure do smell better with cats installed. I must be getting old but, I hate the way new gas smells!
Dubnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 09:01 PM   #11
victorallen

Thanks for the kind words, I'd live to see pictures of your truck. I wasn't sure about the DBW vs. DBC, I didn't know if it was a pain to change the accelerator pedal. (Incidentally I used a '69 camaro 6 cylinder accelerator pedal in the '65, they're a direct bolt in and the 6 cylinders are cable instead of rod, you only have to drill one hole for the cable). The 6 will be a driver and a budget build, I look forward to learning process and appreciate the input.

Here's a link to the 65 build:
Old 01-07-2015, 09:16 PM   #12
tommys66

For the compressor,I left it down low and I used an adapter from Docs blocks with out having to notch the frame. Headers I used are long tube from doug thorley, fit real nice.
Old 01-07-2015, 09:37 PM   #13
victorallen

Thanks, I'll check 'em out
Old 01-07-2015, 09:38 PM   #14
TopFuel1966

Yes the compressor will fit down low without cutting anything as long as you change the connector block to one that's configured like shown in the attached photo......
Attached Images

TopFuel1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 09:45 PM   #15
Mikes66ChevyC10

Quote:

That is one beautiful 65 you and your son built!! Love the color!!

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=617778
Mikes66ChevyC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 10:07 PM   #16
victorallen

Thank you Mike, the paint is House of Kolor Molly Orange.

And Topfuel1966, that looks great, what block did you use? And that is the factory GM compressor, correct? Thanks for the input.

Last edited by victorallen; 01-07-2015 at 10:14 PM.
Old 01-07-2015, 10:17 PM   #17
dwcardfan

Your 65 is sweet! I am in the process of doing a 65 with a 5.3 and 4L60E out of a 2000 Silverado. I used stock V8 mounts and towers with hooker LS motor brakets. Also used S S Performance for my harness. Here is his number 479-696-7778. Website is www.LSX-Harness.com. He did ECM flash and harness rewire for around $400. You can check out my build if you want it is in my tag below.
dwcardfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 11:16 PM   #18
victorallen

Thanks DW, you're definitely going to have an awesome truck, I love the silver with red if you go that route, by far one of my favorite color combinations. $400 seems like a great deal on the harness and ECM, I'll definitely keep that in mind if I ever get to that point, lol. Also, I had a buddy call me just last night looking for a bed, could you PM me the number of the one for sale and I'll pass it along, I know he'd appreciate it. I noticed you used a Boyd tank, I had him build one for the '65 to my specs, he did an unbelievable job and well worth the money, I'd highly recommend him. I'll be watching your thread, I look forward to seeing your truck finished, thanks again.
Old 01-07-2015, 11:28 PM   #19
dwcardfan

Thanks Vic. Pm sent.
dwcardfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 08:44 AM   #20
63 & 64 Bowties
and a few others

Hey guys, don't forget that this forum has a sub-section dedicated to the LSX swaps exclusively.
Here:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/f...play.php?f=206

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” Gandhi
63 & 64 Bowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 09:12 AM   #21
victorallen

Thanks, I see there's lots of good info there.
Old 01-08-2015, 02:10 PM   #22
Gooker928

Quote:
I'm planning on a 5.3 / 4L60 swap into a '66. I've done a bunch of hot rods, restorations, fabrication work etc so the mechanical part doesn't bother me but I'm new to the LS stuff and frankly am a little intimidated by the unknown. I've read/researched until my eyes are crossed. I know there are a ton of posts on this but a lot of them are a few years old and a lot of the information is scattered about. The donor vehicle I have found is a wrecked '01 Silverado 2WD with 104K miles. The truck I'm planning to do the swap on is a '66 short wide bed, big back glass, factory V8, auto, PS, A/C truck. The original engine is long gone and the truck is solid but fairly ratty. I just finished a '65 short bed (383/700r4) and am just wanting the '66 to be a good reliable driver and am definitely wanting to build it on a budget. A few of the questions I have are:

1) What are the best motor mounts to use? I have the stock towers and would like to use them. I've seen ones that basically are just an adapter plate that use the stock style mounts, does anyone know about these?

2) Although this truck has the factory slave type power steering I will replace it with a later model power steering box. What's the best way to connect 70s or 80s style steering box with the 5.3 pump?

3) Does the A/C compressor have to be relocated to the top of the engine for clearance purpose and if so what brackets can be used?

4) Is there any issues with using the drive by cable and the ECM from the donor truck? I'm not planning on using cruise control.

5) I'm not wanting to spend the money for an aftermarket wiring harness but I've heard that the wiring harness from a car is a lot cleaner and easier to use than the truck harness. Would it be best to get one from a car or just have the truck harness reworked when I get the ECM programmed?

6) On an application like this is the stock cooling fan OK or would it be best to go with an electric, and if so just an aftermarket fan or is there an OEM that works better?

7) What's the best fuel pump top use? I've seen a few people use the inline Walbro with the corvette filter/regulator and keep the stock tank, any ideas on that setup? Since this will be a budget build I'm really not looking to buy a $500 fuel tank but wouldn't be above a swap to a factory tank under the bed if anyone knows what will work best.

8) What's the best headers or manifolds to use? I'm not wanting to cut the frame up so I'm guessing stock manifolds probably aren't an option. From want I can tell a mid-length header may be the best option. If so what is the best fit for this application?

9) I'm thinking of using a stock dimension aluminum radiator, what hoses will work with the 5.3?

Thanks in advance for the information and I apologize for asking questions that have probably been answered several times. I just thought I'd see if there was any new stuff or ideas out there and if possible to get the information in a somewhat condensed format.
1: depends on where you want the engine to sit. I used ECE mounts that set the engine three inches forward due to clearance issues with the 6l80E I'm using.
2: captain fab sell an adapter for that. The Lines you have should screw right into a 70s model gearbox.
3: It all depends on what adapter plates you use.
The plates that set the engine back usually block the A/C compressor bolts.
You can use the A/C bracket from a 96 Silverado to relocate it to the top passenger side. Mine fit perfectly in the original factory notch in the frame.
4: I would recommend using the harness and ECU from the donor truck if they're in good condition.
It saves time and money.
5: see#4
6: The engine you have came with a clutch fan. I would keep it and spend money elsewhere.
7: if you plan on using your original tank an inline and vette filter is fine as long as you stay above 1/4 a tank. I think your fuel rail has a return line so the vette filter might not be necessary.
8: I used 2012 camaro manifolds (99 and up work). Trailblazer SS, CTSV, H2, and V8 trailblazer manifolds work also.
9: just use the 5.3 hoses the top hose fits tight but it will work.
Good luck.
Gooker928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 07:40 PM   #23
66LSx

I used:

CPP Sheetmetal Motor Mount perches... love them.
CPP Trans Cross Member... worked good

Poly Mounts

Dirty Dingo Engine Mount Sliders.... Love them

Doug Thorley 324y-c headers....love them

Used a boyd welding fuel tank with an aeromotive stealth 340 intake pump
LOVE everything about it... (in-tank so much quieter)

Used a PSI Conversions engine harness (which is modeled after an F-body car)Harness worked great!

Used an entropy LSx radiator

Enjoy... the 5.3L/4L60e in stock form is even a beast

Video #1

Video #2

2012 GMC Sierra 5.3L 4x4 CCSB
66LSx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 05:04 AM   #24
scottybaccus

Victor, I'd like to visit with you. I sell parts for LS swaps, and have a set of mount adapters being tested in a '70 this coming week. I'd really like to see how they might work in your '66.
They allow one to retain the low mount A/C without hacking the frame rail. I am also working up a proven parts list, right down to hose figment.
You can contact me most directly through Facebook, below. You can also see some of my parts there. I'd be happy to help. No purchase required!
Old 01-09-2015, 03:34 PM   #25
victorallen

Thanks 66LSX, your truck turned out awesome! I'll definitely put this information to use.

Scott I'll hit you up on Facebook, thanks for the message.