The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Forums > Alternate Tinkerings

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-08-2017, 05:05 AM   #1
Azryael

'84 Mercedes-Benz 500SE

When I moved back to the States from Germany back in 2009 after finishing high school, I set out find a replacement Mercedes for the one I had to leave behind (looking back now, import costs and DOT conversion fees could have actually been avoided because a similar vehicle in the US market had already existed).

Couldn't find exactly what I was looking for, but in 2011, I stumbled across a European-spec 126-chassis S-Class sedan that had been imported to Texas from Lebanon back in 1985.

Decided to go check it out because I figured it was something interesting and unique, plus it had the flush European bumpers, and not the laughable fat lips that US cars were forced to wear thanks to the DOT.

A quick test drive and examination of the car and I was hooked, had to have it. Asking price was $6500, but I drove away with it for $3500.

Fast forward nearly six years and it's still one of my favorites to drive. It swaps daily driver duties with my other MB (the one I was actually looking for that I found in 2013) and my '97 Wrangler.

I've done all the maintenance myself and it's only left me stranded a single time when the starter seized up and even whacking at it couldn't get it to turn (fortunately I was 5 miles from my house, so the tow was free). Trying to replace a starter in a Target parking lot doesn't work well when you don't have all your tools!

Since I've owned the car, I've always wanted to be able to shift my own gears; AMG did several "conversions" using a Getrag 265 on the R107 SLs with the same 5.0L V8 as mine, and even fewer on 126 sedans like mine. Parts are next to impossible to find, and those who have the dimensions to fabricate the parts won't share them (because they want to make money, duh). Many folks ask me why I'd want to drive a large sedan with a manual transmission, especially a "luxury" car like an S-Class, and the answer is because that's just what I prefer. Luxury to me is about my driving pleasure when I'm behind the wheel.

I've since picked up a T5 from a turbo 280ZX, but that still involves a bellhousing or adapter plate, and then fabrication of a flywheel.

Pedal assembly is something I've already made (also, the 6 cylinder versions of the S-Class actually had the option of a 4- or 5-speed manual in other markets of the world), so that is taken care of.

But as time goes on, and parts for my particular motor begin to get scarce, I'm beginning to think about going with a different powerplant all together. Those familiar with Bosch CIS know that even once you understand it, it can still be a pain to service and find parts for at a reasonable cost. Plans to EFI the original motor were drawn up to remove the hassle of CIS in pursuit of reliability, tuning ability, and perhaps even more power.

Even when I purchased the car, I was looking at a motor swap down the road, perhaps to the M119, the successor V8 to mine, but I'd be left trying to adapt a manual transmission to it once again.

I began to research the best domestic motor for swapping to achieve the best reliability, economy, and power potential, and LS-family of motors turned out to be the winner. Aftermarket support is great, OE parts are as easy to come by as going to the dealer, etc.

So, this now leaves me with a plan to run either an LM7 or the LQ4 with a T56, satisfying my desire for a manual transmission, and a more reliable motor.

This will be my first motor swap (beyond replacing a motor with another identical one) and my second BIG project. I've not acquired any parts yet, but the goal is to get everything I can, so I can get this done in the shortest time possible. Biggest hurdles I can foresee is wiring, and the steering. Those who have done similar swaps (paid shops to do, I should say) on these cars have all moved away from the recirculating ball steering in favor of a rack and pinion setup. I'd rather not sacrifice my original steering if I can, so that's something I need to work out.

Some photos!

WANTED: '73-80 K30 4x4 CCLB Manual. The closer to San Antonio, the better!! No projects. Solid running trucks, please.
Azryael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 07:01 PM   #2
Russell Ashley

Re: '84 Mercedes-Benz 500SE

Interesting project. keep us up on your progress.
Russell Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 10:41 PM   #3
Azryael

Thanks! I will.

It's kind of on the backburner for now, but should I be able to get the parts I need at a reasonable price, it would become an immediate action kinda deal.

I plan to keep this car until the day I die, so anything I can do to better it and prolong its life is worthwhile to me.

WANTED: '73-80 K30 4x4 CCLB Manual. The closer to San Antonio, the better!! No projects. Solid running trucks, please.
Old 03-09-2017, 10:21 AM   #4
ricott

Looks like a great project. I'm sure you have seen it, but a guy is currently wrapping up a LS based swap in a 1969 W114 Mercedes in the Conversions and Hybrids section of LS1Tech. Look up "LQ4/4l80e in a 69 Mercedes" CoasttoCoast is the author. Good luck with your project.
ricott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 11:33 AM   #5
Azryael

Yeah, I already posted over there, and have seen Coast's beast of a car!

Unfortunately, one of the first comments I got was to go buy a Honda for a daily driver!

Great resource otherwise, over there.