The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-25-2010, 12:19 AM   #1
nikwho

'59 Apache Camaro IFS project

I got started on the new project a couple of days ago. Its a '59 Apache. Its a long bed, 123.25" wheelbase that I will cut down to 115" wheelbase. The factory shortbeds are 114". Im moving the front wheel centerline forward 1" to better center the wheels in the front wheel opening. In order to only cut the frame once, not in front of and behind the cab, I'm taking the extra 8.25" out of the front of the frame during the Camaro IFS swap. Then, i'm moving the cab mounts back 9.25 inches to get the front wheels where I want them. I got the "No Limit" dvd on camaro IFS swaps and like the way that they do it so im modifying what they do a little bit to take care of my wheel base change at the same time. I'm using a firewall mounted master cylinder, booster, brake pedal bracket and brake pedal out of the same '79 Camaro that I pulled the rear axle and front subframe out of. I just started on this truck a couple of days ago so not too much progress has been made. Here are some pictures of what I have gotten done so far:
I removed the front clip, bed and moved the cab back to expose the part of the frame that i'll be working on.

I got the frame all leveled out and up on jack stands.

I took all of my measurements from the frame to have numbers to shoot for when welding the factory frame horns back into place to re mount the front fenders, grill, bumper etc.

After getting all of my measurments, I welded two braces on the frame, 30.25" behind the factory wheel centerline, which ended up 1 7/8" behind the leading edge of the front cab mounts. The frame was cut 20.25" behind the factory wheel centerline. Off came the factory stuff:

This makes up the 12" that No limit wanted cut off plus the 8.25" that i'm taking out of the wheel base. The cab mounts are being moved back 9.25" to accomodate the short bed and to move the front wheels 1" forward from stock location.

Here is the Camaro subframe that I picked up:

And 10 bolt:

Got a built up small block that will be making about 375hp after some new Patriot performance heads are swapped onto the engine

Last edited by nikwho; 10-04-2010 at 03:37 PM.
nikwho is offline   Reply With Quote