The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-28-2013, 09:19 PM   #1
theastronaut

DIY Tubular A-Arms... Tubing sizes and Cross Arm Suggestions?

I'm getting ready to build a set of A-arms for my '66 C10 with a stock crossmember. I'm wanting to move the wheel forward 1", add more castor by raking the ball joint locations, and make a dropped bag pocket so I can shim the bags with 1/8" and 1/4" plates to change the bag height/pressure without changing the ride height. That way I can fine-tune the spring rate easily. I'll be autocrossing the truck eventually so I'd like the added adjustability over A-arms that are available, and I want to try building them myself for the fun of it.

I've been searching and it looks like 1.25"x.190 wall is pretty standard for the bottom arms, and 1.0"x.190" for the upper arms, but wanted to double check before I bought tubing. I'll be using DOM mild steel tubing. I can't find anyone that sells cross arms, upper or lower that would be suitable for DIY arms that mount to the stock crossmember. Any suggestions? The ball joint cups and upper B/J mount plates are fairly standard so I think I can get those from Speedway.

I've pulled measurments from my stock arms to go by, but can't get started making jigs until I have the cross shafts and ball joint plates and cups. I have 4"x4" 1/8 wall tubing to build the jigs.
theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:01 PM   #2
mongoose

Re: DIY Tubular A-Arms... Tubing sizes and Cross Arm Suggestions?

why not using the stock lowers? on some new bushings..

for the top.. i dunno.. you could make a new cross shaft that can take some heims so you can adjust it easy
mongoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:24 PM   #3
Ziegelsteinfaust

Most tubular a-arms I have seen use the stock shaft or billet versions of. I am not looking really so there is tons I know I am missing.

I would get another scrap pair of shafts, and assemble them with wooden dowels for mock up bushings. They bolt them to some angle iron that approximates the mounting to the cross member. The use another piece of doweling to hold the ball joint cup in its position.

The only thing I would do different would be to Z the frame for the 1" forward movement rather then make A-arms to do it. That way it keeps your steering shaft in a better orientation. Unless you plan a rack, and pinion then your modding away anyways.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 01:51 PM   #4
theastronaut

I was trying to figure out how the stock '66 lower cross arms could be used with new bushings and sleeves... they're much different than the '73 up cross arms. I hadn't thought to check the later style.

This is the style I need then, 73 up. I can have delrin bushings and matching steel sleeves made to work with this type arm.

theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote